• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

38th Vuelta a San Juan Internacional (2.1) // 26th of January - 2nd of February 2020

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, what I'm wondering is, who will be on some decent form, other than usual suspects like Sevilla and the Argentinian riders? Just talking GC riders.

Both Alaphilippe and Evenepoel have a very high base level. Majka is second tier. Very talented, but no generational talent. Needs to have some form to make the top 5 or podium, IMO. (I haven't seen the full start list yet). Same for G. Martin, I guess.

McNulty and Ganna are question marks. Did Ganna gain weight since the last time he featured on GC two years ago? Not a clue...
Evenepoel lost more than 4kgs, i'm actually wondering if this will negatively impact his ITT efforts. (Considering he was only 61kg previously to begin with).

Evenepoel lost more than 4kgs, i'm actually wondering if this will negatively impact his ITT efforts. (Considering he was only 61kg previously to begin with).
The level he showed in San Juan last year could be enough to win the ITT. His Euro win and Worlds second place were on another level.

I'm not saying he'll necessarily win the TT with Alaphilippe and Ganna at the start as well, but I doubt that his weight loss will be an issue, seeing as he (also) targets major ITT wins this season and has been training towards that goal. DCQS is not NTT Pro Cycling. I don't expect amateurism at their level.

Reactions: Sandisfan
4 or 5 of the 7 days will be Sagan against Gaviria against Hodeg. (Day 4 a bit unsure)

I´m looking forward to the first race days in this season from the young german talent Steimke for QS. Even If he will only play the role as helper.

The GC will depend on the form of Evenepoel and Alaphilippe. If they are not in form, perhaps an outsider from Latin America or riders like Betancur, POLJAŃSKI or Martin will have chances.

For the time trial there are riders like Bodnar, Oliveira and Ganna.

4 or 5 of the 7 days will be Sagan against Gaviria against Hodeg. (Day 4 a bit unsure)

I´m looking forward to the first race days in this season from the young german talent Steimke for QS. Even If he will only play the role as helper.

The GC will depend on the form of Evenepoel and Alaphilippe. If they are not in form, perhaps an outsider from Latin America or riders like Betancur, POLJAŃSKI or Martin will have chances.

For the time trial there are riders like Bodnar, Oliveira and Ganna.

Steimle won't race in San Juan, he'll start his season in colombia.

Edit: Got beat to it.

I guess it depends on what they're broadcasting - riders riding a race or the finish line on a still camera?
Last year, there were only three stages really worth watching. The timetrial, the punchy finish on the dam, and the one on Alto Colorado. This year the ITT finishes on the dam, so maybe that's even one less interesting stage.

He was still listed on www.procyclingstats.com, so I thought he will start..
Strange thing is that they added him to their list after it was known about his surgery.

Dx3bncsWsAIoSiL
You sure you didn't post last years squad? Because Cattaneo ain't on that team anymore.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet (or at least not confirmed). GCN is livestreaming this race over their YouTube and Facebook channels. It's always hard for me to figure out their geo-restrictions in advance (I can't watch their ongoing coverage of the TdU, for example, because USA rights are in the hands of NBC Sports Gold, which I luckily have a subscription for). But it at least looks like folks in the States will be able to watch all stages of the Vuelta a San Juan with start times of 5 pm east coast time except for stage 6, which starts at 5:30 pm.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet (or at least not confirmed). GCN is livestreaming this race over their YouTube and Facebook channels. It's always hard for me to figure out their geo-restrictions in advance (I can't watch their ongoing coverage of the TdU, for example, because USA rights are in the hands of NBC Sports Gold, which I luckily have a subscription for). But it at least looks like folks in the States will be able to watch all stages of the Vuelta a San Juan with start times of 5 pm east coast time except for stage 6, which starts at 5:30 pm.
Yes, they have geoblocked San Juan for me (BE, Europe) so i assume in all countries that have Eurosport, they will not be streaming the race.

Previews on Feltet.dk and Wielerflits.nl (you'll have to run them through google/deepL translate)

Stars according to Feltet:

*** ** Remco Evenepoel
**** Julian Alaphilippe, Oscar Sevilla
*** Brandon McNulty, Ruben Fernandez, Filippo Ganna, Eduardo Sepulveda, Guillaume Martin
** Patrick Schelling, Nelson Oliveira, Matteo Fabbro, Nathan Brown, Rob Britton, Gavin Mannion, Omar Mendoza, Ricardo Escuela, Roniel Campos, Fernando Barcelo, Garikoitz Bravo, Miguel Edoardo Florez, Filippo Zaccanti
* Kyle Murphy, Simone Ravanelli, Federico Figuereido, Andrea Garosio, Luis Angel Mate, Pawel Poljanski, Mattia Bais, Simon Pellaud, Carlos Betancur, Unai Cuadrado, Cesar Paredes, Daniel Diaz, Laureno Rosas, Jose Rujano, Alexander Grigoryev, Alejandro Marque

Stars according to Wielerflits:

**** Julian Alaphilippe
*** Remco Evenepoel, Oscar Sevilla
** Guillaume Martin, Eduardo Sepúlveda, Rubén Fernández
* Carlos Betancur, Brandon McNulty, Giovanni Visconti, Laureano Rosas

Last edited:
Reactions: Earns1985
It'll be interesting to see which gearing choices the teams will make on stage 2 where they midways through the stage have to crest a nasty category 3 climb which over 800 metres ascends with a whopping 1.3% on average!
That's an increase in altitude of 24 meters and these poor cyclists only have one resting day to recover. The drop out rate is going to be massive.

Team presentation in 10 minutes, live:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kX2wAKuhPY

Edit:
So, looks like the presentation was never shown on Youtube. Four hours later and still no stream.
These guys are also supposed to stream the races live on youtube... trust them at your own peril, lol:

Last edited:
Now we're seeing… backs!
And some kind of electric thing.
I wouldn't wanna fall on that tarnac; looks kinda rough...
And... a rider!
Bye, guys. It was nice seeing you.
Right, I'll stop making weird comments about the lack of coverage now. Maybe!
Racing!
For a while at least, they're gone now. Maybe they'll be back.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts