• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

38th Vuelta a San Juan Internacional (2.1) // 26th of January - 2nd of February 2020

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What do you mean? That was him sprinting, lol.

Of course he sprinted badly today, when he had just ridden tempo on the front for two minutes before the sprint.

He did it in the Belgium Tour as well, when he got home with Campenaerts and Kron.

Just drilling it on the front in the final two kilometres, not at least trying to give himself a chance or playing the tactical game. It seems a little weird.

Evenepoel really is the polar opposite from Van der Poel, zero explosiveness. But even when he was a minute behind, when i saw how calm he was he was never in trouble.

weird climb though, looked like 18km of false flat to me. Freaking 84kg Ganna in the top 5 says it all. Pure power

Of course he sprinted badly today, when he had just ridden tempo on the front for two minutes before the sprint.

He did it in the Belgium Tour as well, when he got home with Campenaerts and Kron.

Just drilling it on the front in the final two kilometres, not at least trying to give himself a chance or playing the tactical game. It seems a little weird.

The problem is that for all of his talent he literally has no kick.

He’s worst sprinter in the WT and probably the Pro-Continental Tour.

Evenepoel really is the polar opposite from Van der Poel, zero explosiveness. But even when he was a minute behind, when i saw how calm he was he was never in trouble.

weird climb though, looked like 18km of false flat to me. Freaking 84kg Ganna in the top 5 says it all. Pure power
A couple of days ago the commentators said Ineos wants to transform him in a Gc-rider after the Olympics. Sounds crazy for a bear like him.

Evenepoel really is the polar opposite from Van der Poel, zero explosiveness.
Yup. Ever since i knew both would ride Flèche Wallonne i have been thinking about how differently they would react to the final climb. I can't see either of them really competing (like i've said before about Mathieu) but i can easily see Remco getting swamped by guys with a better kick in the early part of the climb, never getting in position even though he may climb better than a lot of those guys. (Assuming they reach the climb without setbacks and try to ride their own race).

Ganna is looking like the perfect guy for Ineos to put working on the front in future Tours.

Evenepoel recovering well from his mistake but he will need to be more careful the next time.

A couple of days ago the commentators said Ineos wants to transform him in a Gc-rider after the Olympics. Sounds crazy for a bear like him.
If they could do it with Wiggins, then Ganna seems like he could fit this mold. . . . Feeling sad for Ineos, having to resort to desperate measures to scrape together some GC talent. If only they had one or two guys that could contend for grand tour wins. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonimenier
This climb is a power climb with soft gradient. But it is always fun to watch. For some reason usually produces a nice race. I think I know why. Imagine the winds of northern France with 4-5% gradient. That is crazy. Maybe not quite but being like a dessert it is open for the Strong winds from the Andes.

Yeah, he's as explosive as comback Basso, but with a vintage Tony Martin engine for the TTs and flat/rolling terrain.
The difference is that Basso still had a decent sprint for a gc rider. I wonder who would win a sprint between Remco and Formolo, maybe we'll find out at the Olympics.

Remco showed he was strong but as I suggested had limited mountain support - It will be interesting to see how QS configure their team in the next few years if Remco continues on the GC path.

They got some talented riders this year in Almeida, Bagioli and Vansevenant to grow with him. And Knox also extended last fall. So you have at least 4 young riders who can climb to a degree already and will probably get better together with Remco. I actually like the idea of putting a team together that can challenge some big(ger) races in maybe two years instead of buying 30-something year old domestiques who you have to replace once Evenepoel is actually a genuine contender.

Reactions: yaco and Joelsim

TRENDING THREADS