• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

39th Clasica Ciclista San Sebastian (1.UWT)

Looks like we finally have a new route on our hands, lets see how much this badboy changes up things:

https://ibb.co/NpNxfsb

Read that Alaphilippe and Bernal will attend the race. Would imagine both are pretty tired, but lets see. Think Valverde will be there as well.

Dont really know about the startlists, dont think PCS is that reliable with this race atm. Will probably know in a few days.

Who will win? Discuss!

Recently almost every edition has been won by rider fresh from the Tour. Since 2007 it has been on Saturday right after the Tour with the exception of Olympic year 2012. Bertagnolli (who later lost his result) was the only winner who didn't go through Tour beforehand.

Has the Erlaitz ever been used as the final climb? It looks a bit to my untrained eye like that might produce an equally demanding finish, with the advantage of moving the Jaizkibel closer to the finish.

It just feels like of late a lot of classics are letting their best-known climbs (La Redoute, Ghisallo, Kapelmuur) disappear into the early part of the race where they have less and less tactical significance, almost to the point of the Stelvio in MSR.

Re:

Leinster said:
Has the Erlaitz ever been used as the final climb? It looks a bit to my untrained eye like that might produce an equally demanding finish, with the advantage of moving the Jaizkibel closer to the finish.

It just feels like of late a lot of classics are letting their best-known climbs (La Redoute, Ghisallo, Kapelmuur) disappear into the early part of the race where they have less and less tactical significance, almost to the point of the Stelvio in MSR.
Never been used in the race, I used to campaign for Jaizkibel - Erlaitz - Jaizkibel - Arkale, so that the last climb wasn't the hardest one, but Jaizkibel and then Erlaitz as last climb with the old style run-in would be useful. Erlaitz after Jaizkibel is a great combo as they complement each other well, remembering Cobo and Samu unleashing carnage in the 2007 Itzulia.

Re:

Leinster said:

Now that would be something. :D

Re: Re:

Squire said:
Leinster said:

Now that would be something. :D
It would. I meant, of course, the Turchino. Though I won’t deny the attraction of somehow “accidentally” detouring a peloton full of habitual grupetto dwellers over 2,600m and see what happens.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
RedheadDane said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
klintE said:
Teuns or senor Alejandro ftw
h1ll said:
Yates
Muhlberger
Teuns

Teuns put his face under his lawnmower and won't start.

So that's what happened? :eek:
The team just described it as "a minor home injury"...

That doesn't sound like a "minor" injury. :eek:

15 stitches in the head :surprised:

Sporza said he injured his face with his lawnmower (no further description). But it turns out, it was a tractor, and he hit his head against the steering wheel.

364d3ce2-b3be-11e9-a980-0e646f26ec3f_web_scale_0.0730994_0.0730994__.jpg

His tractor: https://nbocdn.akamaized.net/Assets/Images_Upload/2019/07/31/74456928-b3c0-11e9-a980-0e646f26ec3f_web_scale_0.0771605_0.0771605__.jpg

Re:

RedheadDane said:
That's… somehow reassuring.
He still got injured, but at least it wasn't in some incredibly dumb manner! And also not as bad as I think putting your head under a lawnmower would have been.
I didn't actually think he put his face under his lawnmower (i mean, he couldn't be thàt stupid, right?), but i just thought it was funny to imagine he did and made that post in jest. It's the first thing you think about when the article states he injured his face with his lawnmower, without further context. Personally i guessed maybe a small branch or twig got slingshot from under the lawnmower, into his face. But, it wasn't anything like that.

TRENDING THREADS