• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

4 Jours de Dunkerque 2013 (May 1 - May 5)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Yep, very easy win.
Btw, I like the fact that they show the sprint live from the helicopter camera. They should do that more often in other races. It shows better how the sprint is going.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
nobilis said:
Yep, very easy win.
Btw, I like the fact that they show the sprint live from the helicopter camera. They should do that more often in other races. It shows better how the sprint is going.

+1, much better then front view. Makes it easier to see who is moving up and who is out front.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
manafana said:
good to see him flying, greater rider and finally a sprinter for france who might actually trouble cavendish.

Think Bouhanii is actually the one to dominate in years to come. He has quite similar general attitude to Cav as well.

Although Demare is world class already at 21 too! Not too forget Coquard too!

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Think Bouhanii is actually the one to dominate in years to come. He has quite similar general attitude to Cav as well.

Although Demare is world class already at 21 too! Not too forget Coquard too!

They're all not really pure sprinters, I can't see them ever being close to beating Cav on pure speed. They do have some potential in the classics though. Coquard finished in the peloton in GW, where Demare was 12th. Demare just missed the chasing bunch in RVV, and Bouhanni has been going pretty well on steep finishes.

Pentacycle said:
They're all not really pure sprinters, I can't see them ever being close to beating Cav on pure speed. They do have some potential in the classics though. Coquard finished in the peloton in GW, where Demare was 12th. Demare just missed the chasing bunch in RVV, and Bouhanni has been going pretty well on steep finishes.

Beating Cav on pure speed seems impossible these days anyway. However flat stage sprints ain't always won by the "fastest" rider. I personally think Bouhanni can improve the package over the next few seasons which could give him a couple of wins against the likes of Cav.

Anyway it will be interesting how Bouhanni handles the upcoming sprints in the Giro.

Pentacycle said:

Guardini is a pure sprinter and see how well he's doing in this race... 30th today.

Pentacycle said:
You don't need t be as fast as Cavendish to be a pure sprinter, otherwise there would be only one rider in that category. Demare and Coquard are pure sprinters, and while Bouhanni has a slightly larger repertoire, he would probably still fall in that category.
Coquard is really fast but until he races against the very best, we won't know exactly how fast. Plus he'll need a couple years to build his stamina, coming from the track but he is probably the most Cavendish-like of the three French sprinters (similar build, similar track background).
Demare has a very good top speed, as shown notably in Vatenfall last year where he beat Greipel. He can already beat the best, though you would expect him to lose more sprints than he would win against them. I fear that he will not win as much as he should because I don't think he has the right mindset. He doesn't seem like he is willing to fight for positions as much as some other sprinters, he is not 'nasty' enough to hang on to the right wheel and can get bullied in some sprints. Of course, with a good train, this longer is a problem.
Finally, Bouhanni is probably the one with the lowest top speed but is actually the best sprinter of the three (which is shown by the fact that he barely lost a sprint against Demare/Coquard in his pro career). He can survive harder terrain meaning he is fresher at the end, which is a big advantage, he seems to time his sprints perfectly (which is not always the case for Demare) and he is not afraid to fight for position (not all spruprising as he spend the off season boxing). However, he has been pro for a longer period of time than the other two, especially Coquard, so he probably has less margin for improvement than the other two (his progression is really odd for a sprinter though and it seems like he still has many things he can improve).

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Squire said:
Goncalves of La Pomme Marseille put in a MASSIVE attack inside the last two kilometers, then took the long way around a huge roundabout, and was suddenly back in the middle of the pack :D

that was so ****in funny :D poor guy.. he was ready to die for it :p

Démare a beast!

TRENDING THREADS