• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

40th Giro del Trentino 19.04 - 22.04

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Image cropping could use some work, perhaps.

sptdw309_1_670.jpg

Re:

SafeBet said:
Landa incredibly strong but he has no tactical sense whatsoever. Two days in a row he's been clueless and risked losing this bike race.
I think he rode a very tactically astute race. He was wary of every attack and did everything he had to to win the race. If he'd exerted himself with an attack, he might have been countered and dropped. Even in the sprint he got it exactly right to hold onto the lead. I'm looking forward to seeing him in the Giro in the real mountains, bring it on! :)

The point is that he chased down attacks that he didn't need to chase.

It is impressive that he managed top 3 in a sprint with such a group given he did a lot of work in the final 10km chasing down guys that were no threat.

If he didn't get third, he would have looked a right mug.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
Landa speaks Italian?
Yes, if you don't speak Italian, Russian or Kazakh you're going to have a hard time at Astana. A few guys also speak French, but of you don't speak one of those 3 languages you're going to be a bit of an outsider, just like a guy who doesn't speak French and rides for a French team.

Re: Re:

gunara said:
roundabout said:
luckyboy said:
I think there aren't many ethnic Kazakhs there so it's mostly Italian and Russian. That's what I remember their old press guy saying anyway.

There are 5 ethnic Kazakh riders currently. Don't know how many stuff.

Ayazbayev, Kozhatayev, Kamyshev...and who else?
Tleubayev? But wiki says his name is transcribed from Russian so thats that. Mosteducated kazakhs knows russian anyway, no?

Mayomaniac said:
staubsauger said:
Landa speaks Italian?
Yes, if you don't speak Italian, Russian or Kazakh you're going to have a hard time at Astana. A few guys also speak French, but of you don't speak one of those 3 languages you're going to be a bit of an outsider, just like a guy who doesn't speak French and rides for a French team.

Kangert does not speak Italian and does not speak Russian and Kazakh. But seems doing fine.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Von Mises said:
Mayomaniac said:
staubsauger said:
Landa speaks Italian?

Kangert does not speak Italian and does not speak Russian and Kazakh. But seems doing fine.
I didn't know that, I always assumed that he spoke Russian and maybe a bit of Italian.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Von Mises said:
Mayomaniac said:
staubsauger said:
Landa speaks Italian?

Kangert doesn't speak Russian? Find it hard to believe, Baltic states, Russian language in school at his age were probably pretty common. I'm sure he knows basics.

Gloin22 said:
Von Mises said:
Mayomaniac said:
staubsauger said:
Landa speaks Italian?

Kangert doesn't speak Russian? Find it hard to believe, Baltic states, Russian language in school at his age were probably pretty common. I'm sure he knows basics.

Von Mises is from the same country as Kangert, so I'd trust that he knows what he is talking about.

Gloin22 said:
Von Mises said:
Mayomaniac said:
staubsauger said:
Landa speaks Italian?

Kangert speaks also Italian. He made an interview in Italian after the stage win in Trentino.

Gloin22 said:
Von Mises said:
Mayomaniac said:
staubsauger said:
Landa speaks Italian?

Couple of years ago Kangert gave na interview where he was asked specifically about language in Astana. He speaks English and French and in Astana had learned few (racing related) phrases of Italian, though he admitted that he tries to learn more italian (so, if he now gives interviews in Italian, I guess he has learned). As of Russian, he said, that he knows two words. And btw, very few estonians of Kangert age speak Russian, they may know word or two, but thats pretty much it.

roundabout said:
gunara said:
roundabout said:
luckyboy said:
I think there aren't many ethnic Kazakhs there so it's mostly Italian and Russian. That's what I remember their old press guy saying anyway.

There are 5 ethnic Kazakh riders currently. Don't know how many stuff.

Ayazbayev, Kozhatayev, Kamyshev...and who else?

Tleubayev and Omirzakov

Alright. Forgot about Omirzakov, and always thought Tleubayev was of Russian group. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS