• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

5 monuments - Cancellara or Gilbert?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is more likely to win all 5 monuments?

• Phillipe Gilbert

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Gilbert will never win the 5 monuments, but he has the chance to win 4 of them.
- Milano-Sanremo: could have won, podiums
- Ronde van Vlaanderen: could have won, if he waited after the bosberg and followed Canc
- Roubaix: imo impossible
- L-B-L: very possible that he ever wins this race
- Lombardia: already won

Actually, he impressed me today, despite his final result.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
I wonder if Gilbert can carry this form all the way to Liège ... I'd be a little surprised but happily proven wrong

Are you from Luxembourg by the way? Or a Luxembourger living in France? Or just a Frenchman? :p

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
In view of Gilbert's recent wins, any further thoughts on him completing the set?

9th in this year's Ronde, 3rd in San Remo & DNS at Paris Roubaix.

Methinks he could do it, almost. Roubaix may be his undoing...

ultimobici said:
In view of Gilbert's recent wins, any further thoughts on him completing the set?

9th in this year's Ronde, 3rd in San Remo & DNS at Paris Roubaix.

Methinks he could do it, almost. Roubaix may be his undoing...

If the ending to Ronde is moved closer to the hills, he can take that. Needs a bit of luck and to keep trying at MSR. Roubaix is the one I can't see happening.

Cance won't win Lombardia or Liege.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
luckyboy said:
If the ending to Ronde is moved closer to the hills, he can take that. Needs a bit of luck and to keep trying at MSR. Roubaix is the one I can't see happening.

Cance won't win Lombardia or Liege.

+1. Cancellara would totally have to 'rebuild' his body to have a chance in those two. And the same goes for Philippe if he wants to win P-R, he'd have to gain weight and more stamina at the cost of explosiveness.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Havetts said:
+1. Cancellara would totally have to 'rebuild' his body to have a chance in those two. And the same goes for Philippe if he wants to win P-R, he'd have to gain weight and more stamina at the cost of explosiveness.

I'm not so sure. Gilbert is similar in build to O'Grady, Kelly & De Vlaeminck so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he could take it.

Maybe if he stuck with Cancellara or someone else and then outsprinted him. But Boonen, Pozzato, Hushovd, other guys with a faster finish couldn't be in the group.

Or with luck/other people's bad luck/rain.

Can't see him taking a solo win at Roubaix though.

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
sounds like a reasonable prediction.

on who wins all 5 mons... atm I'd pick Gilbert. But after today's LBL, that pick is like cheating.

As unlikely as Phil is to win PR, after watching LBL again, and some of GDL yesterday (recorded, yes ;) ), no way can I see FC winning either of those. He'd need to be skeletal. And Phil had what might be his best ever shot at MSR this year and it didn't happen.

I think Phil will end up at 3-4, and FC already has what he's going to have. Not going to happen in this era IMHO.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Was discussing this subject with a mate in light of LBL result. I think many of us only considered PR unlikely because the last few have been won by big guys with the exception of Stuey.

But looking at the winners from a little earlier it is evident that a rider does not need to be tall to win Roubaix. They just need a bot of bulk for more power on the stones. Gilbert has come very close in the Ronde and MSR and so I reckon they are just a matter of time. Roubaix would require him to focus on it and perhaps sacrifice Lombardia or LBL & the Ardennes campaign, but it is doable.

De Vlaeminck, Hinault, Knaven & Van Petegem are all around his height and similar weights too.

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Was discussing this subject with a mate in light of LBL result. I think many of us only considered PR unlikely because the last few have been won by big guys with the exception of Stuey.

But looking at the winners from a little earlier it is evident that a rider does not need to be tall to win Roubaix. They just need a bot of bulk for more power on the stones. Gilbert has come very close in the Ronde and MSR and so I reckon they are just a matter of time. Roubaix would require him to focus on it and perhaps sacrifice Lombardia or LBL & the Ardennes campaign, but it is doable.

De Vlaeminck, Hinault, Knaven & Van Petegem are all around his height and similar weights too.

If someone put a gun to my head and MADE choose either PR or MSR for Phil, I would actually go with PR. Seeing how supple he was pedaling yesterday, maybe he'd be one of those guys that just went very smoothly over the big stones, and you are right, he's about the same size as some former winners. (I still think it unlikely, but if I had to choose...)

I differ a little bit w/you regarding RVV and MSR. Yes, I think an RVV win is a matter of time, probably next year. MSR just seems so much more like a lottery to me; the finale just strikes me as one where he could do 2-3-4-2-3 or something like that for the next 5 years, without ever actually winning it.

Although after this last 10 days, perhaps I shouldn't doubt as much.. :D

benpounder said:
Neither.

More on my mind is why, other than tradition, are these five races, monuments?

do you need more reasons? they are unique and extremely hard.

don't you think this races deserve their status? or let me guess you think there should be a monument in the US. i mean the us have the second best GT in the world now so they obviously should also have a monument ;)

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
This made me think - is there anyone coming through the ranks who look like they could do this?

what about Matty Goss? He already has a good sprint and is a decent climber at 24years old and he loves the classics. Placed 3rd in Gent-W in 2009.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
do you need more reasons? they are unique and extremely hard...
No. I think they are all hard. And I think the Ronde van Vlaandern is the most difficult single day test. I am just wondering why they, and not others, are the monuments.

or let me guess you think there should be a monument in the US.
There is the Durango death ride - not sanctioned, or even raced - it is however a real test.

i mean the us have the second best GT in the world now so they obviously should also have a monument ;)
We will see how the new ToC pans out, i've voiced my criticism on several occasions, I am more interested in the re-vamping of the Coors Classic. I'll let you know how that goes, as that it will run through my home town.

TRENDING THREADS