• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

51st Amstel Gold Race, 249km - 17/04/16

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Cannondale is putting their money on Slagter, again. That guy hasn't won anything against the big boys since 2013 TDU.

I'd love to see Uran do more one day races. He's always up there when he races.

May 29, 2015
Visit site
So, after broadcasting PR in its full length, Eurosport only have a 2 hour broadcast planned for this race. That really says it all about the race.

Oh well, at least the last 500 meters will probably be exciting. Matthews vs. Kwia.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Pantani_lives said:
The only thing more boring than a boring race are people moaning about how boring it is before it's ridden.

*****Matthews, Vakoc
****Rodriguez, Kwiatkowski
***Alaphilippe, Wellens, Coquard
**Dumoulin, Kelderman, Gesink
*Gilbert, Aru, Kreuziger, Cunego
Seriously?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Pantani_lives said:
The only thing more boring than a boring race are people moaning about how boring it is before it's ridden.

*****Matthews, Vakoc
Seriously?

He means for Fleche and Liege ;)

Re:

Pantani_lives said:

*****Matthews, Vakoc

Gerrans, Rui Costa, Henao, Vanendert and Gallopin will all finish well ahead of most on that list.

Re:

Flamin said:
I was watching extra time koers (Belgian program about cycling). Bakelants was a guest there and he was asked about Amstel. He litterally said it was pointless to attack from far here. Only thing you can do is wait wait wait and hope you have enough punch on the last time Cauberg.

Pretty depressing that an aggressive rider like Bakelants says this, but what's even more sad is that he's just completely right.
Bakelants is not right at all, he personally has close to zero chances of doing anything in the scenario he's advocating. But hey, if that helps him sleep at night after not trying anything when he could actually have a decent chance if it didn't come to the Cauberg sprint.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site

Arredondo said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Pantani_lives said:

*****Matthews, Vakoc
Seriously?

I mean, I'm one of the biggest Purito fans around (the fact I still support him despite riding for Katusha says a lot), but even I can see the writing on the wall this season. FW, perhaps because it's just the Mur, but AGR and LBL...

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

CheckMyPecs said:
Arredondo said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Pantani_lives said:

*****Matthews, Vakoc
Seriously?

I mean, I'm one of the biggest Purito fans around (the fact I still support him despite riding for Katusha says a lot), but even I can see the writing on the wall this season. FW, perhaps because it's just the Mur, but AGR and LBL...

I think he will podium at least in Fleche or Liege. I actually think he will win Liege. Fleche will be more difficult with Henao in the race.

He showed in Pais Vasco he's perfectly on schedule. He was really strong on Arrate. I don't see any problems anymore this season, now he's finally in shape.

Arredondo said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Arredondo said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Pantani_lives said:

*****Matthews, Vakoc
Seriously?

I think he will podium at least in Fleche or Liege. I actually think he will win Liege. Fleche will be more difficult with Henao in the race.

He showed in Pais Vasco he's perfectly on schedule. He was really strong on Arrate. I don't see any problems anymore this season, now he's finally in shape.
Will be interesting to see how he goes without Moreno. He was a great team-mate to have - willing to sacrifice himself for Purito, and also strong enough that the other contenders had to respond to his attacks and take them seriously.

hrotha said:
Flamin said:
I was watching extra time koers (Belgian program about cycling). Bakelants was a guest there and he was asked about Amstel. He litterally said it was pointless to attack from far here. Only thing you can do is wait wait wait and hope you have enough punch on the last time Cauberg.

Pretty depressing that an aggressive rider like Bakelants says this, but what's even more sad is that he's just completely right.
Bakelants is not right at all, he personally has close to zero chances of doing anything in the scenario he's advocating. But hey, if that helps him sleep at night after not trying anything when he could actually have a decent chance if it didn't come to the Cauberg sprint.

To say he's completely right is maybe a bit too strong.

But unless 1 rider has a (significant) gap after Cauberg, anyone from say the top-15 on the top can potentially come back and have a shot at winning. That's not bad odds at all compared to those sprint trains chasing down a break these days.

Flamin said:
hrotha said:
Flamin said:

To say he's completely right is maybe a bit too strong.

But unless 1 rider has a (significant) gap after Cauberg, anyone from say the top-15 on the top can potentially come back and have a shot at winning. That's not bad odds at all compared to those sprint trains chasing down a break these days.

Maybe a team with a rider like Bakelants could consider making the race hard before the 200km mark for once. It's no surprise a solo break won't work when most contenders have 4 or 5 relatively fresh team-mates to chase in the final 20km.

I'm honestly surprised about the Vakoc hype right now. Only because he won brabantse out of a 5 men group which probably wont be the case in Amstel? So if he wants to win there he has to do a solo from the final Cauberg and I really don't see him dropping everyone there, since his rivals will be way stronger than last Wednesday.

Gigs_98 said:
I'm honestly surprised about the Vakoc hype right now. Only because he won brabantse out of a 5 men group which probably wont be the case in Amstel? So if he wants to win there he has to do a solo from the final Cauberg and I really don't see him dropping everyone there, since his rivals will be way stronger than last Wednesday.
I agree, I don't think he's explosive enough for this.

Tom Dumoulin said in an interview he wants the course to change. "For the riders its super hard, but watching it on tv is extremely boring." I hope his opinion will carry some extra weight since hes Limburg's cycling posterboy.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'll be working as an election helper/vote counter, so I won't be able to watch the race, but at least it's just Amstel (For the same reason I missed Aru's first stage win at the 2014 Giro :mad: )