53rd Amstel Gold Race - 260km

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And yet there's no hate on any Danish riders from me in this thread. Only a jab at those who insist that when a Danish rider wins, he must not only be a deserving winner but also the strongest rider in the race. My first reaction in this thread after he won included praise (did you notice?). IIRC, I don't even think I've ever uttered any hate towards Mr. Andersen.

The inferiority complex is strong - among some of my fellow compatriots.
 
I'm quite surprised Matthews and Sagan didn't get disqualified. Matthews spent way too much time on a seperated cycling lane and Sagan was lucky there were no spectators when he cut that corner.
 
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Silly mode alert!

Not only did Valgren and Fuglsang have the advantage of having a teammate - each other - in the front group, they could also openly discuss their plans without worrying about anyone overhearing it.
Unless Holm was DSing for Quickstep.
Thank God we have common sense - The strongest riders in the race were Kreuziger and Gasparotto - They both attacked the favorite's group with around 25kms to go, bridged up to the breakaways, then got caught by the leaders group with 13 km - Of course when Valgren who had a soft ride, attacked for a second time with under 3kms to go, only Kreuziger could follow - And then Gasparotto rode away from the leaders group with 1.5km to go and nearly bridged to Valgren and Kreuziger - Too think Valverde or Sagan or any others were the strongest is laughable.
 
Re: Re:

yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
Silly mode alert!

Not only did Valgren and Fuglsang have the advantage of having a teammate - each other - in the front group, they could also openly discuss their plans without worrying about anyone overhearing it.
Unless Holm was DSing for Quickstep.
Thank God we have common sense - The strongest riders in the race were Kreuziger and Gasparotto - They both attacked the favorite's group with around 25kms to go, bridged up to the breakaways, then got caught by the leaders group with 13 km - Of course when Valgren who had a soft ride, attacked for a second time with under 3kms to go, only Kreuziger could follow - And then Gasparotto rode away from the leaders group with 1.5km to go and nearly bridged to Valgren and Kreuziger - Too think Valverde or Sagan or any others were the strongest is laughable.
What's that got to do with my post?
I didn't even mention Kreuziger and Gasparotto, I just pointed out that Valgren and Fuglsang had the (extra) tactical advantage of being able to talk openly-yet-secretly with each other.
 
Re:

Breh said:
I'm quite surprised Matthews and Sagan didn't get disqualified. Matthews spent way too much time on a seperated cycling lane and Sagan was lucky there were no spectators when he cut that corner.
I think that was what made the difference. It's not that far back a spectator died in Ronde after a collision with a rider, and as such I find it understandable that Rowe's deviation was deemed too dangerous. The other Sky rider was not disqualified, so it was not like they were OTT zealots.

 
The obsession for "the strongest rider" is something I will never truly understand.
There is no way to clearly assess who the strongest rider in a specific race is. And it's pointless anyway.

Cycling is not about being the strongest. It's much more than that. If you wanna know who's the strongest cyclist in the world put them all on stationary bikes and have them go full gas for a couple of hours. I'm not sure anyone would pay to watch such garbage, but hey to each his own.
 
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
Silly mode alert!

Not only did Valgren and Fuglsang have the advantage of having a teammate - each other - in the front group, they could also openly discuss their plans without worrying about anyone overhearing it.
Unless Holm was DSing for Quickstep.
Thank God we have common sense - The strongest riders in the race were Kreuziger and Gasparotto - They both attacked the favorite's group with around 25kms to go, bridged up to the breakaways, then got caught by the leaders group with 13 km - Of course when Valgren who had a soft ride, attacked for a second time with under 3kms to go, only Kreuziger could follow - And then Gasparotto rode away from the leaders group with 1.5km to go and nearly bridged to Valgren and Kreuziger - Too think Valverde or Sagan or any others were the strongest is laughable.
What's that got to do with my post?
I didn't even mention Kreuziger and Gasparotto, I just pointed out that Valgren and Fuglsang had the (extra) tactical advantage of being able to talk openly-yet-secretly with each other.
Either he mis-quoted or did a classic yaco.

Kreuziger and Gasparotto werent the strongest, obviously. Kreuziger was super strong, but I doubt both riders could follow the 4-5 man group going all out on the hills
 
Re:

Netserk said:
And yet there's no hate on any Danish riders from me in this thread. Only a jab at those who insist that when a Danish rider wins, he must not only be a deserving winner but also the strongest rider in the race. My first reaction in this thread after he won included praise (did you notice?). IIRC, I don't even think I've ever uttered any hate towards Mr. Andersen.

The inferiority complex is strong - among some of my fellow compatriots.
“In this thread”

ROFL
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
RedheadDane said:
yaco said:
RedheadDane said:
Silly mode alert!

Not only did Valgren and Fuglsang have the advantage of having a teammate - each other - in the front group, they could also openly discuss their plans without worrying about anyone overhearing it.
Unless Holm was DSing for Quickstep.
Thank God we have common sense - The strongest riders in the race were Kreuziger and Gasparotto - They both attacked the favorite's group with around 25kms to go, bridged up to the breakaways, then got caught by the leaders group with 13 km - Of course when Valgren who had a soft ride, attacked for a second time with under 3kms to go, only Kreuziger could follow - And then Gasparotto rode away from the leaders group with 1.5km to go and nearly bridged to Valgren and Kreuziger - Too think Valverde or Sagan or any others were the strongest is laughable.
What's that got to do with my post?
I didn't even mention Kreuziger and Gasparotto, I just pointed out that Valgren and Fuglsang had the (extra) tactical advantage of being able to talk openly-yet-secretly with each other.
Either he mis-quoted or did a classic yaco.

Kreuziger and Gasparotto werent the strongest, obviously. Kreuziger was super strong, but I doubt both riders could follow the 4-5 man group going all out on the hills
Strange that Gasparotto and Kreuziger were in the front group (and visible ) for the last 50kms, and yet both
successfully attacked these so-called super-strong riders twice in the last 25kms and got away on both occasions - My eyes must be deceiving me.
 
Re: Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Netserk said:
Impressive response. I take it that any hatred should be directed towards foreigners exclusively?
The only hatred here is for you buddy

Your routine of hating on any danish result, is transparent and laughable
Dude, nobody is hating anyone here. Netserk is very critical on Fuglsang, but that's about the only Dane he ever complained about. What he wrote about Valgren could even be seen as a compliment. Nibali is my favorite current rider and my main reason for liking him is that he can win races despite not being the strongest. That doesn't make me a Nibali hater. At this point I don't know if you are just trolling or serious about this, but either you are violating forum rules or you are completely misinterpreting Netserk's posts, so in any case, stop it!
 
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
burning said:
El Pistolero said:
Cobbled classic specialists >>>>>>>>>>>>> hilly classic "specialists"
Since when Valgren is a cobbled classic specialist? You should really be banned by your trolling in last couple weeks
last weeks only? :lol: he's been this way for years
He changed his style from spamming about Boonen and Gilbert to spamming bs about Valverde-Ardennes and Spain. Also he's on a rampaging streak in pretty much every topic here and in clinic.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
3
0
Re: Re:

burning said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
burning said:
El Pistolero said:
Cobbled classic specialists >>>>>>>>>>>>> hilly classic "specialists"
Since when Valgren is a cobbled classic specialist? You should really be banned by your trolling in last couple weeks
last weeks only? :lol: he's been this way for years
He changed his style from spamming about Boonen and Gilbert to spamming bs about Valverde-Ardennes and Spain. Also he's on a rampaging streak in pretty much every topic here and in clinic.
If you can't handle someone's opinion perhaps a public forum is not the best place for you to go to. Currious how you're not complaining about certain users who keep bringing up Valverde in unrelated threads, especially in threads of other riders. Anyway Valgren rode 6 Flemish (semi-)classics this year. If he isn't a cobbled classic specialist than who is? Are you going to come up with any real arguments or are you going to continue with personal insults?
 
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Netserk said:
Impressive response. I take it that any hatred should be directed towards foreigners exclusively?
The only hatred here is for you buddy

Your routine of hating on any danish result, is transparent and laughable
Dude, nobody is hating anyone here. Netserk is very critical on Fuglsang, but that's about the only Dane he ever complained about. What he wrote about Valgren could even be seen as a compliment. Nibali is my favorite current rider and my main reason for liking him is that he can win races despite not being the strongest. That doesn't make me a Nibali hater. At this point I don't know if you are just trolling or serious about this, but either you are violating forum rules or you are completely misinterpreting Netserk's posts, so in any case, stop it!
I disagree

I know his type very well indeed, and you would understand, if you were a dane :)
 
Jul 29, 2016
634
0
0
I am very happy for Kreuziger, I did not beleive he is cupable of such result any more! But he is when new contract is in question :).
 
Re:

lartiste said:
I am very happy for Kreuziger, I did not beleive he is cupable of such result any more! But he is when new contract is in question :).
Well he is always pretty strong in the ardennes. He just isn't as strong on the longer climbs anymore, but he was also one of the strongest in liege last year. Might be an outside bet on sunday.
 
Re: Re:

El Pistolero said:
burning said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
burning said:
El Pistolero said:
Cobbled classic specialists >>>>>>>>>>>>> hilly classic "specialists"
Since when Valgren is a cobbled classic specialist? You should really be banned by your trolling in last couple weeks
last weeks only? :lol: he's been this way for years
He changed his style from spamming about Boonen and Gilbert to spamming bs about Valverde-Ardennes and Spain. Also he's on a rampaging streak in pretty much every topic here and in clinic.
If you can't handle someone's opinion perhaps a public forum is not the best place for you to go to. Currious how you're not complaining about certain users who keep bringing up Valverde in unrelated threads, especially in threads of other riders. Anyway Valgren rode 6 Flemish (semi-)classics this year. If he isn't a cobbled classic specialist than who is? Are you going to come up with any real arguments or are you going to continue with personal insults?
Valgren rode a WT cobbled classic for the first time in 2017, while he was doing Ardennes on regular basis since 2014. He never rode Paris-Roubaix, while he rode Liege-Bastogne-Liege 3 times and La Fleche Wallone 4 times. His first prominent result as a pro was 2nd in Amstel and his most prominent results as an U-23 rider was to win U-23 LBL 2 times.

I guess it's hard to deal with that cobbled classic specialists are getting beaten in cobbled races by hilly classic specialists so you consider everyone who has ever done anything worth of notice in cobbled races a cobbled classic specialist completely ignoring what they had done in other types of races for years before they raced cobbled races seriously for the first time.
 
Re: Re:

Anderis said:
El Pistolero said:
burning said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
burning said:
Since when Valgren is a cobbled classic specialist? You should really be banned by your trolling in last couple weeks
last weeks only? :lol: he's been this way for years
He changed his style from spamming about Boonen and Gilbert to spamming bs about Valverde-Ardennes and Spain. Also he's on a rampaging streak in pretty much every topic here and in clinic.
If you can't handle someone's opinion perhaps a public forum is not the best place for you to go to. Currious how you're not complaining about certain users who keep bringing up Valverde in unrelated threads, especially in threads of other riders. Anyway Valgren rode 6 Flemish (semi-)classics this year. If he isn't a cobbled classic specialist than who is? Are you going to come up with any real arguments or are you going to continue with personal insults?
Valgren rode a WT cobbled classic for the first time in 2017, while he was doing Ardennes on regular basis since 2014. He never rode Paris-Roubaix, while he rode Liege-Bastogne-Liege 3 times and La Fleche Wallone 4 times. His first prominent result as a pro was 2nd in Amstel and his most prominent results as an U-23 rider was to win U-23 LBL 2 times.

I guess it's hard to deal with that cobbled classic specialists are getting beaten in cobbled races by hilly classic specialists so you consider everyone who has ever done anything worth of notice in cobbled races a cobbled classic specialist completely ignoring what they had done in other types of races for years before they raced cobbled races seriously for the first time.
Valgren doesn't care about your silly specialities. :cool:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pantani_lives Professional Road Racing 496

ASK THE COMMUNITY