• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

53rd Tour des Alpes Maritimes et du Var (2.1) // 19th of February - 21st of February 2021

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Watching the live feed on Sporza, with Dutch translated to English. I love what google translate does to the route description for today.

"Today the riders will start a second part in the Tour des Alpes-Maritimes et du Var (or in short: Tour du Var). The menu includes a hilly ride that starts and ends in picturesque Fayance. A journey of almost 180 kilometers on rolling Provençal roads with an angry calf biter at the end who does not shy away from the double gradients. Will Mollema hold out after yesterday's triumph or are there privateers on the coast? "

You've got to love an angry calf biter.

Some 110km to go. Break of seven have 4 minutes.
Clément BERTHET, Biniam GIRMA HAILU (Delko), Hugo HOULE (Astana-Premier Tech), Víctor DE LA PARTE (Total Direct Energie), Cyril BARTHE (B&B Hôtels p/b KTM), Dylan KOWALSKI (Xelliss-Roubaix Lille Métropole) et Andrea MIFSUD (Swiss Racing Academy)
Weather is wonderful.

Reactions: Sandisfan
should know, but I have never actually seen it confirmed: 1 second gap is 1.00 to 1.99s, not 0.5 to 1.49, yes?

Hmm, I think it depends on the hundreth of a second the winner crosses the line. Say, he gets in at .99, then he gets a 1 second gap if the next guy is 1.01-2.00 second behind him.

If he gets in at .00, he gets a 2-second gap if the next one is 2.00-2.99 after.

It's extremely stupid if that is the case but I'm fairly sure that it's true.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I should know, but I have never actually seen it confirmed: 1 second gap is 1.00 to 1.99s, not 0.5 to 1.49, yes?
Hmm, I think it depends on the hundreth of a second the winner crosses the line. Say, he gets in at .99, then he gets a 1 second gap if the next guy is 1.01-2.00 second behind him.

If he gets in at .00, he gets a 2-second gap if the next one is 2.00-2.99 after.

It's extremely stupid if that is the case but I'm fairly sure that it's true.
Time-keeping

For each race, the national federation of the organiser shall designate a sufficient number of timekeeper-commissaires duly licensed by it. Timekeeper-commissaires may be helped in matters other than time-keeping operations proper by other persons licensed by the national federation of the organiser. (text modified on 01.01.05)

Timekeeper-commissaires shall record the times on a form that they shall sign and hand to the finishing judge. (text modified on 01.01.05)

Times shall be taken using an electronic time-keeping machine. In track races and mountain bike downhill and four cross (4x) races, times shall be taken to the nearest 1000th of a second. In other races, the times shall be taken to the nearest second at least. Results shall be communicated to the second. Moreover, manual time-keeping will be undertaken whenever deemed necessary or useful.

When several riders finish in a group, all riders in the same group shall be credited with the same time. If there is a difference of one second or more between the back of the back wheel of the last rider in a group and the front of the front wheel of the first rider of the following group, the timekeeper-commissaires shall give a new time taken on the first rider of this group. Any difference of one second or more (back wheel –front wheel) between riders implies a new time. (text modified on 01.01.05; 01.01.09)

Time-keeping

For each race, the national federation of the organiser shall designate a sufficient number of timekeeper-commissaires duly licensed by it. Timekeeper-commissaires may be helped in matters other than time-keeping operations proper by other persons licensed by the national federation of the organiser. (text modified on 01.01.05)

Timekeeper-commissaires shall record the times on a form that they shall sign and hand to the finishing judge. (text modified on 01.01.05)

Times shall be taken using an electronic time-keeping machine. In track races and mountain bike downhill and four cross (4x) races, times shall be taken to the nearest 1000th of a second. In other races, the times shall be taken to the nearest second at least. Results shall be communicated to the second. Moreover, manual time-keeping will be undertaken whenever deemed necessary or useful.

When several riders finish in a group, all riders in the same group shall be credited with the same time. If there is a difference of one second or more between the back of the back wheel of the last rider in a group and the front of the front wheel of the first rider of the following group, the timekeeper-commissaires shall give a new time taken on the first rider of this group. Any difference of one second or more (back wheel –front wheel) between riders implies a new time. (text modified on 01.01.05; 01.01.09)

Okay, so manual time-keeping may be used. But it's still unclear when and how.

Intuitively, I think the first rider is the reference point for all other riders, with a floor function for the time gap. Mind 1.2.107 though.

An example:
4h16'54''.234 - 0h00'00''.000 - +0''
4h16'56''.478 - 0h00'02''.244 - +2''
4h16'57''.234 - 0h00'03''.000 - +2''
4h17'00''.012 - 0h00'05''.778 - +5''

Last edited:
Screenshot_2021-02-20_143719.png

So the timing said 1.304 seconds for Mollema and Narvaez came in at 2.985, but got the same time

TRENDING THREADS