• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

69th Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (2.1) 31/1 - 4/2/2018

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The long steady climbs and the real high altitude that both French and Italian mountians can get is where Valverde has his biggest issues. He's not a pure climber (we all know that, and he's also said as such), and he struggles with altitude. Remember he was born, raised and still lives at very close to sea level in the Murcia City area.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
we are discussing who is the best (between porte and bala) in one week stages and no one is mentioning quintana, who is dominating these type of races since contador's decline

Re: 69th Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (2.1) 31/1 - 4/2/20

It seems that Yates was the Vino '06 today and Valverde was... himself (Morredero). This dude is like 5000y old and still shines on those muritos. Chris Horner in the making. On his place i would actually give Yates this stage win and just stay with Lulu Sanchez. Also, nice to see this much hyped Roglič and this new Portuguese guy Antunes showing off.

railxmig said:
It seems that Yates was the Vino '06 today and Valverde was... himself (Morredero). This dude is like 5000y old and still shines on those muritos. Chris Horner in the making. On his place i would actually give Yates this stage win and just stay with Lulu Sanchez. Also, nice to see this much hyped Roglič and this new Portuguese guy Antunes showing off.

Valverde did the right thing in going for the stage victory and gaining extra seconds as you never know what can happen in the last stage - Rode tactically until the last 500 metres and then used his superior strength.

Re:

portugal11 said:
we are discussing who is the best (between porte and bala) in one week stages and no one is mentioning quintana, who is dominating these type of races since contador's decline

If it's a discussion of who's best between Porte and Valverde in one week races, then there's really no need to bring Quintana into the mix.

Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
WheelofGear said:
And what the hell happened to Sky? No riders in top 10.

It's Poels. Giving him a leadership role in a stage race is gambling that all his bad days are going to be on flat stages.

Mr Poels is very inconsistent...when he is good he is very good but he is just as likely to be bad without explanation

Thomas, Bernal , DdlC , Heano are better bets for leadership at a GT

Valverde now holds the record for most ever GC wins for this race. I think Eurosport said he's also the oldest stage winner. I'm guessing that most likely also means he's the oldest GC winner for this year. I'd also be shocked if doesn't now hold the record for longest time between first and most recent stage wins and first and most recent GC wins.

Mayomaniac said:
deValtos said:
Wout Poels is similar to Richie Porte ... just with worse consistency. :D
This, Poels even has bad days in shorter stage races.

Worse consistency than Tejay VanGardern? He usually at least is good for a one week race, if they've managed to fix whatever is wrong in his head. Well as long as Valverde doesn't show up for the race (Andalucia 2015).

HelloDolly said:
GuyIncognito said:
WheelofGear said:

It's Poels. Giving him a leadership role in a stage race is gambling that all his bad days are going to be on flat stages.

Mr Poels is very inconsistent...when he is good he is very good but he is just as likely to be bad without explanation

Sound like a normal human being to me. Maybe he is the only Sky rider not using any margins...

Salvarani said:
HelloDolly said:
GuyIncognito said:
WheelofGear said:

Sound like a normal human being to me. Maybe he is the only Sky rider not using any margins...
On the contrary.

But this is another discussion for another forum.