• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

69th Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (2.1) 31/1 - 4/2/2018

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Porte is undoubtedly a great one week rider, but I still take Alejandro over him on 75% of the routes. Only something like Dauphine and some Romandie-routes I'd take Porte over him. Valverde being so extremely versatile tips the scales in favour of him, altho Porte's 10 min climbing efforts probably still is the best in the world.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Porte is undoubtedly a great one week rider, but I still take Alejandro over him on 75% of the routes. Only something like Dauphine and some Romandie-routes I'd take Porte over him. Valverde being so extremely versatile tips the scales in favour of him, altho Porte's 10 min climbing efforts probably still is the best in the world.
Valverde is more versatile. Better when it gets really steep, on shorter hills, better sprinter.. but Porte on a 7-8% gradient is almost impossible to beat.

1 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 4:48:35
2 Adam Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott 0:00:04
3 Luis León Sanchez (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:00:05
4 Jesus Herrada (Spa) Cofidis, Solutions Credits 0:00:09
5 Primoz Roglic (Slo) LottoNL-Jumbo 0:00:10
6 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team 0:00:11
7 Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:00:15
8 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Mitchelton-Scott 0:00:18
9 Kilian Frankiny (Swi) BMC Racing Team 0:00:24
10 Ben Hermans (Bel) Israel Cycling Academy 0:00:30

Sanchez rode for Fuglsang in the last couple of K's but was still better. Fuglsang is just not explosive enough. It's his main weakness.

And what the hell happened to Sky? No riders in top 10.

Re:

WheelofGear said:

Sanchez rode for Fuglsang in the last couple of K's but was still better. Fuglsang is just not explosive enough. It's his main weakness.

The next Tony Rominger in making. :cool:

bala-gif-canteras-18.gif

Trololol.

Re:

WheelofGear said:

Weird times. Many of those names finished in clusters that should be awarded s.t.

I need to go find a replay to watch. (Didn't get up til it was over. Yes one of those problems being in the US.) Great win for Alejandro. I'm with Valv.Piti, I'll take Alejandro is most 1 week races and defintely any of the Spanish races over Porte. I'll take him in la Vuelta as well. The Spanish climbs fit Alejandro's abilities almost perfectly.

Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
WheelofGear said:

Weird times. Many of those names finished in clusters that should be awarded s.t.

Yeah. I mean, there was clearly a gap between group 1 and group 2. But Yates/Sanchez should have s/t and Herrada/Roglic/Fuglsang should have s/t.