• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

69th Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (2.1) 31/1 - 4/2/2018

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Sky are pretty buttfucked now, lol. Don't know what I think about neutralisation, I guess its fine, but completely pointless race now.

Squire said:
TourOfSardinia said:
Jungle Cycle said:
TTT times wont count for GC...
in that case
I think'll take the afternoon off the thread.
Great for Astana!
Is it really great for Astana? Now they have no chance against the Don.
Yeah, no one really stands a chance now against Valverde. I think both Sky and Fuglsang did had they raced.

They shouldn't have allowed Valverde to get away unaccompanied in the break yesterday (other than by the two Astana riders).

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

armchairclimber said:
staubsauger said:
Pathetic decision. Hopefully Fuglsang takes the overall victory now instead of Valverde! :mad:

Yeah, because it would be so much more fun to see a top rider come off their bike and end their season.
Some people, jeez.
pathetic post... all windy and rainy stages should be cancelled!! let's make cycling similar to tennis, only race when the weather is good

Actually Fuglsang could've gained precious seconds today, since Astana scheduled a strong TTT for Valenciana. The cancelation of the TTT times for the gc is an unjustified decision to unlegitimately favor Valverde in his bid for overall victory. So of course I strongly hope that now Fuglsang wins this race nevertheless!

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Sky are pretty buttfucked now, lol. Don't know what I think about neutralisation, I guess its fine, but completely pointless race now.

Squire said:
TourOfSardinia said:
Jungle Cycle said:
TTT times wont count for GC...
in that case
I think'll take the afternoon off the thread.
Great for Astana!
Is it really great for Astana? Now they have no chance against the Don.
Yeah, no one really stands a chance now against Valverde. I think both Sky and Fuglsang did had they raced.

So if MOD was able: It was f....ng decision. Tomorrow I hope Mr Nobody will be crushed by Fuglsang, Poels or anybody else.

repre said:
Escarabajo said:
If it was almost dry then there was no reason to stop it.
Let Valverde take the precaution and the other riders take the risk.
it was not completely dry but ok conditions to ride. bad decision designed to nand Valverde a win at home race

Yes, it was disappointing to watch Team Sky at the finish line without tablets/ cans of beers / cigarettes in their hands.

The fact is that other riders (at least Kwiatkowski) were complaining on Twitter that the conditions were too dangerous (at least it was so earlier in the day, making it impossible to make a recon), and Sky were the ones who would have the most to gain from a normal race today.

And the organisers have garnered a lot of positive comments from riders after the stage.

I don't like the decision by the way, but seeing how unimportant and early in the season this race is, I can live with it.

Re:

jsem94 said:
They just handed the race to Valverde with that decision, but whatever.
I think a more favourable reading of the situation would be that Valverde handed the race to himself with a 35km attack and winning sprint yesterday.

Movistar wouldn't have lost much, if anything today anyway. They never do in Spain TTs (*cough* motos).

DFA123 said:
jsem94 said:
I think a more favourable reading of the situation would be that Valverde handed the race to himself with a 35km attack and winning sprint yesterday.

Movistar wouldn't have lost much, if anything today anyway. They never do in Spain TTs (*cough* motos).

How much would they lost? 30 sec? 45? 1 minute? It was just analyising it this thread.

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
DFA123 said:
jsem94 said:

How much would they lost? 30 sec? 45? 1 minute? It was just analyising it this thread.

It's hard to tell. My guess would be 40 secs. It's a very short by TTT standards.

Astana much less. No more than 20 secs.

The good thing about Valverde being in front is that it forces the other riders to attack from further out.

Sky and Astana know that it is game-over if they arrive with Valverde in the last steep k. Poels, Yates, Fuglsang.. they all have to go when the climb hits the 9% + gradients.

Re: 69th Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (2.1) 31/1 - 4/2/20

I was in the area overnight and this morning and the weather was awful ,high winds, rain and with snow on the high ground with the forecast saying the same for the rest of the day. It is always difficult for organisers in these circumstances as the are damned if they do and damned if they don't. It seems to me that Valverde gets blamed for everything although in this case it seems that everyone but him was complaining about the conditions on social media. I don't think that he was ever worried about the overall the stage win was enough for him. Having said that I hope that he takes the overall.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
The good thing about Valverde being in front is that it forces the other riders to attack from further out.

Sky and Astana know that it is game-over if they arrive with Valverde in the last steep k. Poels, Yates, Fuglsang.. they all have to go when the climb hits the 9% + gradients.

Yes, thanks to today's decision tomorrow's stage may be great.. all the anger.. I hope :)

mariposa said:
I was in the area overnight and this morning and the weather was awful ,high winds, rain and with snow on the high ground with the forecast saying the same for the rest of the day. It is always difficult for organisers in these circumstances as the are damned if they do and damned if they don't. It seems to me that Valverde gets blamed for everything although in this case it seems that everyone but him was complaining about the conditions on social media. I don't think that he was ever worried about the overall the stage win was enough for him. Having said that I hope that he takes the overall.
Indeed. Also, if the organisers were that bothered about Valverde (or another Spanish rider) winning the race, they wouldn't have made the TTT such an important part of it in the first place.

DFA123 said:
mariposa said:
Indeed. Also, if the organisers were that bothered about Valverde (or another Spanish rider) winning the race, they wouldn't have made the TTT such an important part of it in the first place.
Absolutely

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Velolover2 said:

Yes, thanks to today's decision tomorrow's stage may be great.. all the anger.. I hope :)

What anger? Didn't notice anybody who was angry about today's decision :confused: