• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

72 Volta a Portugal Bicicleta- em, 2.1 August 04-15 (Kash in !)

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
camisolasmontagem.jpg

port09-miss03.jpg

Stages:
04.08. Prologye: Viseu (5.5 k)
05.08. Stage 1: Gouveia-Oliveira de Azeméis (188.0 k)
06.08. Stage 2: Aveiro-Santo Tirso (N.Sra.Assunção) (152.4 k)
07.08. Stage 3: Santo Tirso-Viana do Castelo (173.7 k)
08.08. Stage 4: Barcelos-Sra. da Graça (175.8 k)
09.08. Restday
port09-miss02.jpg

10.08. Stage 5: Fafe-Lamego (172.4 k)
11.08. Stage 6: Moimenta da Beira-Castelo Branco (221.1 k)
12.08. Stage 7: Idanha-a-Nova-Alto da Torre (Seia) (168.0 k)
13.08. Stage 8: Oliveira Hospital-Oliveira do Bairro (169.9 k)
14.08. Stage 9: Pedrógão-Leiria (ITT) (32.6 k)
15.08. Stage 10: Sintra-Lisboa (154.2 k)

Total: 1613.6

Teams (16): Pro-Tour (1):

Lampre (Kashechkin).

Pro-Continental (6):

ISD-Neri (Sinkewitz), Carmiooro-NGC (Pardilla), Xacobeo-Galicia (Pacheco), Andalucia-CajaSur (Vicioso), Bbox Bouygues Telecom (Bonnet) and Saur-Sojasun (Casper).

Continental (8):

Palmeiras Resort–Prio-Tavira (Blanco), CC Loulé–Louletano-Aquashow (S.Perez), Barbot-Siper (Bernabeu), LA Aluminios–Rota dos Móveis (Sabido), Madeinox-Boavista (Petrov), Caja Rural (Chuzhda), Amore&Vita-Conad (Metlushenko) en Rabobank (Slagter).

Rest (1): National team Portugal (Coelho).

port09-miss04.jpg

BIB starterslist: http://www.cyclingstartlists.com/2010/08Aug/05Portugal2010.htm

Winners:
2009 David Blanco (Spa)
2008 David Blanco (Spa)
2007 Xavier Tondó (Spa)
2006 David Blanco (Spa)
2005 Vladimir Jefimkin (Rus)
2004 David Bernabéu (Spa)
2003 Nuno Ribeiro (Por)
2002 Claus Michael Møller (Den)
2001 Fabian Jeker (Sui)
2000 Vítor Gamito (Por)
1999 David Plaza (Spa)
1998 Marco Serpellini (Ita)
1997 Zenon Jaskuła (Pol)
1996 Massimiliano Lelli (Ita)

Final GC last year 2009:
1. David Blanco (Esp) Palmeiras Resort/Tavira 41:08:58
2. David Bernabeu (Esp) Barbot - Siper 0:00:12
3. Ruben Plaza (Esp) Liberty Seguros 0:00:44
4. Joäo Cabreira (Por) Centro Cilismo De Loule - Louletano 0:01:29
5. Eladio Jimenez (Esp) Centro Cilismo De Loule - Louletano 0:01:44
6. Tiago Machado (Por) Madeinox Boavista 0:01:58
7. Nelson Vitorino (Por) Palmeiras Resort / Tavira 0:02:56
8. Andre Cardoso (Por) Palmeiras Resort / Tavira 0:03:04
9. Patrik Sinkewitz (Ger) PSK Whirlpool - Author 0:04:59
10. Bruno Pires (Por) Barbot - Siper 0:05:58

Stage winners 2009: Candido Barbosa (2x), Manuel Cardoso, Patrik Sinkewitz, Joäo Cabreira, Antonio Piedra, Eladio Jimenez, Danilo Hondo, Oleg Chuzhda, en David Blanco (2x).

2009 Race Report/Recap: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ribeiro-suspended-for-two-years-for-cera

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
this is such an amazing race and so spectacular eventhough they removed doping from it since last year. it still is very attractive race. I always watch it on rtpi

Looking forward to kashechkin!

CarmioOro are also bringing Sella.

Liberty Seguros sponsor the Portuguese national team.

This race will be a lot of fun as it usually is.

Cândido Barbosa will win the points jersey for the 1,492nd time.

Lampre will do very little in the race, as usual. They race it for two reasons. One is Vuelta prep, and the second is their sponsor has a bigger presence in Portugal than Spain so it's more keen on them racing the Volta than racing in Burgos. Kash may have something to prove but it's more likely he'll be riding to try to get himself into some form for the vuelta so he can out-do what Vino managed last year.

Sinkewitz will be keen to make an impression though. He won solo into Gouveia on a nice uphill finish in stage 3 last year. That finish is sadly not in this year's race (though the climbs surrounding the area are), but there are four summit finishes anyway.

One is just a cat.3 climb and is more an Ardennes finish than anything else. The three of importance are:
Stage 2 - Monte Assunção - a cat.2 climb which is short and quite steep. The GC mix will be established early by this one.
Stage 4 - Alto da Sra. da Graça - a cat.1 climb off the back of a tough climbing stage (though, strangely, no climb of Alvão beforehand this year for the usual cat.1-cat.1 finish).
Stage 7 - Alto da Torre (Serra da Estrela) - Portugal's signature climb, they're going from Seia this year (same as last year), so we're talking a long and drawn out climb averaging just 5%, but including sections as steep as 17%.

The drop in status allowing Continental teams to show up will make things interesting with the young Rabobank guys and Caja Rural in attendance.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
CarmioOra can dominate the climbs of this race with Sella and Padilla. Bernabeau should be great as well, and Candido Barbarosa is one of my favorite riders. This is always a fun race.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:
Candido Barbarosa is one of my favorite riders. This is always a fun race.
Candido Barbarosa?.. Is that actual name? Heh, pretty cool name.

Almost as cool ?ngel Vicioso.

Oh, and i see topic starter knows what cycling fans enjoy the most for sure... Why, boobs and pantyshots, of course!
________
Infectious diseases advice

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
rxgqgxnyfz said:
Candido Barbarosa?.. Is that actual name? Heh, pretty cool name.

Almost as cool Ángel Vicioso.

Oh, and i see topic starter knows what cycling fans enjoy the most for sure... Why, boobs and pantyshots, of course!

It's Barbosa, I messed up. He's got 18 career stage wins at this race.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I really looking forward to see Kashechkin vs Sella and Padilla... The only one missing here is Il Cobra... As Kashechkin is maybe going to softpedal and try to win an stage looking forward to La Vuelta...

So maybe CamioOro FTW with Sella? but I want to see Caja Rural and Andalucia with Vicioso trying something!

do not rule out the Portuguese domestic riders - many of them will be blasts from the past for many of you, with Santiago Pérez, Constantino Zaballa, David Blanco and David Bernabéu all lining up. These guys are often right up at the business end - they work all year for this race. There's also Rui Sousa, who held the leader's jersey for a long time after winning the queen stage in 2008, and Cândido Barbosa is actually usually up there in the GC, though as he gets older his preposterous climbing ability has started to wane (seriously, how a 75-80kg sprinter/classics man can win uphill finishes, crush everybody in the sprints, top 5 in the ITTs and hold on in the mountains, and yet, since leaving Banesto in 2001, never leave Portugal, is a bit of a joke)

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
do not rule out the Portuguese domestic riders - many of them will be blasts from the past for many of you, with Santiago Pérez, Constantino Zaballa, David Blanco and David Bernabéu all lining up. These guys are often right up at the business end - they work all year for this race. There's also Rui Sousa, who held the leader's jersey for a long time after winning the queen stage in 2008, and Cândido Barbosa is actually usually up there in the GC, though as he gets older his preposterous climbing ability has started to wane (seriously, how a 75-80kg sprinter/classics man can win uphill finishes, crush everybody in the sprints, top 5 in the ITTs and hold on in the mountains, and yet, since leaving Banesto in 2001, never leave Portugal, is a bit of a joke)

What happened to him? I remember he won San Sebastian, and then disappeared.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
kash_20100731190731.jpg

Kash today in Spain about Vino: " There is no problem between us, I would go talk to him in the squad today "

Andrey Kashechkin to take this opportunity to refute the supposed tensions between them: "I do not know if we were scrambled one day,"

Return to 'Astana'
Astana, he decided to relativize the events: "The team was built around Alberto Contador when I returned I didn't fit in the plans. Thats normal."
Now nothing is definitive yet, since the Kazakh rider still think he can, if necessary, I return to the team that is the pride of my country: "There is no reason to think otherwise," he says , on the facts of today.

The Clasica San Sebastian, where he earned a second place in 2006, Kash will pursue a program that will take him to Portugal in early August, then the Tour of Spain. "In Portugal, I will run, always in an effort to regain my senses and to best prepare for the Vuelta. At the Spanish Grand Tour, I will take the race day by day. Depending on the level that will be mine, I will focus on a top 10 place in general.

Interview: http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5996

Ryo Hazuki said:
this is such an amazing race and so spectacular eventhough they removed doping from it since last year. it still is very attractive race. I always watch it on rtpi

Looking forward to kashechkin!

Me too. Nothing quite like their all singing and dancing 4 hours a day coverage.
Sometimes, we even get to see live racing!:D
A hot little number.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:
What happened to him? I remember he won San Sebastian, and then disappeared.

His name was listed in the Operacion Puerto files but he was cleared by Spanish authorities. His team then (Caisse d'Epargne) did not renew his contract at the end of 2007 and he couldn't afford to go to another top team. Was he blacklisted?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
DAOTEC said:
kash_20100731190731.jpg

Kash today in Spain about Vino: " There is no problem between us, I would go talk to him in the squad today "

Andrey Kashechkin to take this opportunity to refute the supposed tensions between them: "I do not know if we were scrambled one day,"

Return to 'Astana'
Astana, he decided to relativize the events: "The team was built around Alberto Contador when I returned I didn't fit in the plans. Thats normal."
Now nothing is definitive yet, since the Kazakh rider still think he can, if necessary, I return to the team that is the pride of my country: "There is no reason to think otherwise," he says , on the facts of today.

The Clasica San Sebastian, where he earned a second place in 2006, Kash will pursue a program that will take him to Portugal in early August, then the Tour of Spain. "In Portugal, I will run, always in an effort to regain my senses and to best prepare for the Vuelta. At the Spanish Grand Tour, I will take the race day by day. Depending on the level that will be mine, I will focus on a top 10 place in general.

Interview: http://www.cyclismag.com/article.php?sid=5996

Kash has finished second last today in San Sebastian. It could have been worst :D

Seriously, aiming for a top 10 in the Vuelta doesn't seem realistic for after seeing Vino last year in similar circumstances.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
icefire said:
His name was listed in the Operacion Puerto files but he was cleared by Spanish authorities. His team then (Caisse d'Epargne) did not renew his contract at the end of 2007 and he couldn't afford to go to another top team. Was he blacklisted?

Possibly, it would make sense. He was under 30 and coming off his best season as a pro, in which he merged as a standout rider. I can't see why no protour teams would pick him up, except for your explanation.

If you are Spanish and on a Portuguese team, then the chances are you are either
a) fairly young and taking advantage of the fact that many Portuguese domestic teams offer better salaries than Spanish ones, and especially before the advent of the regional teams like Xacobeo and Andalucía this was common (Xavier Tondó and Ezequiel Mosquera both raced in Portugal for a while before going to Spanish ProConti teams to step up)
b) blacklisted, or at least greylisted, as a result of Puerto (many of the Spanish riders in Portugal have Liberty Seguros, Comunidad Valenciana (formerly Kelme) or Fuerteventura-Canarias on their team history). Some riders who've been absolved of blame have made it back out again - Rubén Plaza returned to Caisse (who he was with in 2007) after two years in the wilderness, for example. But nobody's going to touch the likes of David Bernabéu (who served a ban for a positive in 2003, and then was blacklisted because of Puerto) or Santi Pérez again.

It's a bit weird though that all those Spanish riders, none of whom were officially suspended as far as I know, seem to be blacklisted instead, while those from other countries served their suspensions and were then allowed back. I don't know if that was by design or just a coincidence.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

since candido barbosa stopt juicing he can't climb anymore. barbosa with 172 and 71 kg was a total non-climber until 2 weeks in august every year. the guy had been caught already as an espoir on epo. now he is clean is a sprinter like he truly was.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
It's a bit weird though that all those Spanish riders, none of whom were officially suspended as far as I know, seem to be blacklisted instead, while those from other countries served their suspensions and were then allowed back. I don't know if that was by design or just a coincidence.

except basso and now valverde no one was ever suspended cuz of puerto. but being blacklisted is far worse, guys like mancebo and sevilla have dinirectely been suspended now for 4 years already out of the pro tour peloton

Ryo Hazuki said:
except basso and now valverde no one was ever suspended cuz of puerto. but being blacklisted is far worse, guys like mancebo and sevilla have dinirectely been suspended now for 4 years already out of the pro tour peloton
I thought Scarponi and Jaksche were suspended too, but it's not like I know much about this. Thanks for the correction.

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki wrote: but being blacklisted is far worse, guys like mancebo and sevilla have dinirectely been suspended now for 4 years already out of the pro tour peloton
Well you can put Jan Ullrich in the same cue ... he only decided to let it go.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Am I not wrong in think that the Volta used to be a three week stage race and was seen as the ideal stepping stone to racing Grand Tours? This was before the Vuelta changed dates that is.

Too bad Radio Shack are not riding, would have loved to have seen Machado let it rip. Kamikaze style.

TRENDING THREADS