• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

73rd Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (2.Pro) // February 2nd - 6th 2022

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish higher in GC?

• Valverde

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Ayuso

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
Milan Vader with another promising performance uphill.
Ayuso finished more than 3 minutes down after looking good early on the climb (or was that Soler?).

Vlasov is a bit underrated on this forum, I think.

I think that might be wrong, think I saw 42 finish.

Unless he completely stopped or something happened.

Edit: Seems to have been Soler finishing earlier by the graphic.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Makes you wonder if Vuelta is a good choice this year
I’ve been wondering the same thing. The Vuelta is the GT he is least suited for if he wants to win it. If he struggles with gradients 10% and above, why the hell is he targeting the Vuelta?

Honestly the TDF seems to be his best bet with the more gradual gradients. It’s still only the first race of the year and a long way to go.

Makes you wonder if Vuelta is a good choice this year
Might be too soon to say that, but that's surely some indication.

He's noticeably heavier now than he was last spirng (e.g. during the Giro) and on one hand it compromises his performance on the %s like today, but on the other, I have an impression he's "more himself" and better at doing Remco things with his current body composition.

Clipboard.jpg

GC
Clipboard-GC.jpg

I’ve been wondering the same thing. The Vuelta is the GT he is least suited for if he wants to win it. If he struggles with gradients 10% and above, why the hell is he targeting the Vuelta?

Honestly the TDF seems to be his best bet with the more gradual gradients. It’s still only the first race of the year and a long way to go.
Just the one garage ramp finish in this year's Vuelta, plus a lot of extremely Evenepoel-friendly terrain to claw back time if needed in the final week. In the Tour he would be one of the big names earmarked for crashing out early.

Remco isn't built for such climbs, it's just not his natural playground and there's nothing wrong with this. Making him a GT rider at any cost is a wrong thing
When Remco wins it's an early season race and doesn't mean he can do it in big races, when Remco doesn't win (and not at climbing weight) he should just drop his dream of being a GT rider. Ok. basically, because it's Remco he has to win every race throughout the whole year. I doubt climbs like these were Wiggins' natural playground or that of Ullrich.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and Wvv
When Remco wins it's an early season race and doesn't mean he can do it in big races, when Remco doesn't win (and not at climbing weight) he should just drop his dream of being a GT rider. Ok. basically, because it's Remco he has to win every race throughout the whole year. I doubt climbs like these were Wiggins' natural playground or that of Ullrich.
He doesn't need to win everything. I did expect a bit more from him based on stage 1, but it's also really clear he blew himself up trying to close down Vlasov.

Don't think there's a need to overreact, but the discrepancy between Remco on steady and steep gradients seems really big right now.

It's tough to see how Remco would win a GT if he's losing 40 seconds in a km on steep ramps. He will need to learn how to manage his energy better. That said, I think he can; anyone his weight who can TT like him should be able to do so...eventually.

We've seen Vlasov climb like this before, though. So I probably wouldn't read too much into the result.

He doesn't need to win everything. I did expect a bit more from him based on stage 1, but it's also really clear he blew himself up trying to close down Vlasov.

Don't think there's a need to overreact, but the discrepancy between Remco on steady and steep gradients seems really big right now.
I also expected more, but didn't rule this out. Sent a whatsapp to my brothers earlier today that i was not ruling out that this could happen. His interview (regarding doing different training and being heavier) also didn't fill me with confidence that he would shine today. On the other hand Steels insinuated wednesday he was only at 90%. I'm sure others are too, so looking at those around him, it wasn't exactly bad either.

Last edited:
When Remco wins it's an early season race and doesn't mean he can do it in big races, when Remco doesn't win (and not at climbing weight) he should just drop his dream of being a GT rider.
You might be right, but that's just because there's too many people wanting to draw too many conclusions from each of Remco's performances and extrapolate them to his future ones, And you're one of them.

My opinion about him as a rider and that it's not the best idea to make him a GT rider hasn't changed since his first season in WT, so for me there would've been no difference if he had won today or not.

And in case of Wiggins, imho, at least in terms of his body type, he was actually a great GT material - climber's physique with excellent TT skills.