• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

74ª Volta a Portugal 15/08 to 26/08

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
jens_attacks said:
efapel ownage! _O_ sweet :)
glad to see sergio doing better than last year on sra da graca
a little bit disappointed about nuno,was he a helper maybe?

didn't see it but i will definitely download it later

but can they get rid of sabido?

i see that even cesar fonte climbed like an angel,maybe efapel will win the volta with him lol

anyone else please than david blanco,he had enough of them
It was a bit of a disorganised climb. At first, Carmin-Prio pulled (reminded me of Liqui to Peyragudes where Nibbles was weak but they kept pulling), then there where some attacks from Moyano and Feillu and then Efapel came to the front to keep Sabido in check. Sousa attacked, Ribeiro went too and Blanco still finished 3rd.

i am gutted seeing mestre getting his volta ruined due to falls :( he only lost 55 seconds but he would need a miracle to get back in form in 3 days.

also amaro antunes was in the break and lost a lot of time once h got caught so no GC for him.

did he look strong in the break?

also nice to see a decent WT level climber like feillu and a pure climber like atapuma being outclimbed by the portuguese domestic scene riders. goes to show the level is nowhere as low as some might say

I'm rather annoyed at this overlapping with the Vuelta as it's meant I've missed much of it, and will need to catch up.

As I predicted, the gaps were tiny here because the stage wasn't hard enough. All about Torre. Efapel look like they absolutely destroyed the field. Hopefully I don't see Sergio Ribeiro growing a beard and chasing down the leaders on the Serra da Estrela.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I am very disappointed by the lack of coverage of this race. Seeing the profiles posted here, it should be an interesting race to watch, but total lack of coverage on this site, no GC after stages, no article about the race, no nothing. Compared to the Tour of Utah, which from a sporting point of view seemed less worthy of the 2.1 classification than the Volta a Portugal, this is a poor showing of cyclings most important website.

Libertine Seguros said:
I'm rather annoyed at this overlapping with the Vuelta as it's meant I've missed much of it, and will need to catch up.

As I predicted, the gaps were tiny here because the stage wasn't hard enough. All about Torre. Efapel look like they absolutely destroyed the field. Hopefully I don't see Sergio Ribeiro growing a beard and chasing down the leaders on the Serra da Estrela.

I've only just finished watching yesterday's stage.

Nice attack from Brice, otherwise, the usual 200 metre out sprint.
Efapel 1,2,3 doesn't bode well for a nail biting GC tussle.:eek:

Roude Leiw said:
I am very disappointed by the lack of coverage of this race. Seeing the profiles posted here, it should be an interesting race to watch, but total lack of coverage on this site, no GC after stages, no article about the race, no nothing. Compared to the Tour of Utah, which from a sporting point of view seemed less worthy of the 2.1 classification than the Volta a Portugal, this is a poor showing of cyclings most important website.

Agree and disagree.

There should be coverage of this race on CN even if only in results form. But it's also a very regional race and beating Feillu doesn't change that.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
it may be a very regional race, but i did compare it to the tour of utah, same categorie 2.1 at UCI calendar and the coverage given to this race, with a very regional line-up. If feillu is in portugal or not, i do not care that much, but seeing that it is hilly race, that there are a lot of names i am not familiar with, i am actually interested to know who are these guys, young/old WT potential or not or whatever.....some here seem to be familiar with these names, but as I am alas not portuguese speaking, i am not able to follow any original coverage by the local press

Big break at the beginning of the day, including the yellow jersey Hugo Sabido and defending winner Ricardo Mestre:

1 - Ricardo MESTRE (Carmim/Prio)
9 - Amaro ANTUNES (Carmim/Prio)
15 - Nuno RIBEIRO (Efapel/Glassdrive)
18 - Sérgio RIBEIRO (Efapel/Glassdrive)
22 - Hugo SABIDO (LA/Antarte)
32 - João CABREIRA (Onda)
33 - José GONÇALVES (Onda)
75 - Andres VIGIL (Andalucia)
82 - Xabier ZABALO (Orbea Continental)
93 - David BELDA (Burgos BH/Castilla e Leon)
111 - Cyril BESSY (Saur/Sojasun)
161 - Darren LILL (Team Bonitas)

They were caught by the peloton. Now ahead:
93 - David BELDA (Burgos BH/Castilla e Leon)
111 - Cyril BESSY (Saur/Sojasun)
125 - Jonathan CLARKE (United Healthcare)

1.34 minute gap with 28km to go. This might go all the way considering the peloton was going crazy from the start.

Rui Sousa leading the KOM now.

Another big break today:

4-Alexandre Marque (Carmin - Prio)
9-Amaro Antunes (Carmin - Prio)
17-António Amorim (Efapel - Glassdrive)
19-Filipe Cardoso (Efapel - Glassdrive)
35-Delio Fernandez (Onda)
43-André Mourato (Selecção Nacional Portuguesa)
61-Karol Domagalski (Caja Rural)
76-Fran Clavijo (Andalucia)
82-Xabier Zabalo (ORBEA Continental)
85-Omar Fraile (ORBEA Continental)
99-Pablo Torres (Burgos - BH - Castilla e Leon)
103-Wilson Marentes (Colombia - Coldeportes)
111-Cyril Bessy (Saur Sojasun)
121-Marc de Maar (United Healthcare PC Team)
122-Kai Reus (United Healthcare PC Team)
126-Jason McCartney (United Healthcare PC Team)
138-Maxim Pokidov (Itera Katusha)

5 min ahead at kilometer 60.

third day in a row with amaro antunes on a breakaway? or at least trying too as he didn't get on the break of the day yesterday.

btw trevim how did he do on the mondim de bastos stage? he saw that he was on the break but when i started watching the stage was long caught. was he the strongest from the break?

Yesterday he was in the early break too, the one that went away on Alto de Bigorne, 2nd category. Then that break was caught and another one formed.

On Sra. da Graça is hard to say who was the strongest. The last guy standing from the break was Célio Sousa, but I seem to remember that as Amaro was caught, he did some work on the early slopes of the climb.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
@HaydenRoulston

Can't believe J-Mac won in Portugal. I saw him and his family in the airport last week. He had no bike as said he was going on a family Holiday! What a legend. Congrats J-Mac!

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
McCartney was 3rd in the 2007 Tour of California, and I remember hearing a story that he hadn't touched his bike for the better part of a month before the race. Just some skiing when felt like it.

An n=2 isn't much of a sample size, but less training more winning? That would be awesome!

edit - I guess 3rd isnt winning, but doing well...you get my drift

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Stage 7 is under way.

There was a nasty fall. A group of riders went off the road in a curve, landing in a small pathio. Ricardo Mestre (Carmim-Prio), Garikoitz Bravo (Caja Rural, corrected by tv guys...again...who knows) and Andalucia rider are on the ground. Looks like it's over for them. Edgar Pinto also going straight to the ambulance, complaining about his shoulder.

As for the race. This bunch has been swaping places ahead with 30 km to go and a 08:00 minute advantage:Samuel Caldeira (Carmim – Prio), Tomás Metcalfe (Carmim – Prio), Célio Sousa , Fabrizio Ferrari (Caja Rural), Alexander Riabkin (Caja Rural), Carlos Barbero (ORBEA Continental), David Belda (Burgos – BH – Castilla e Leon), Dalivier Ospina (Colombia – Coldeportes), Jean Marinho (Saur Sojasun), Kai Reus (UnitedHealthcare PC Team), Davide Frattini (UnitedHealthcare PC Team), Dennis Van Niekerk (MTN Qhubeka), Herman Fouche (Team Bonitas).

etapa7alt2012novo.jpg

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
After the stage, David Blanco went to the CARMIM camp and left his lucky amulet to be handed to Ricardo Mestre. They have rode together before at Prio-Tavira and are known to be friends.

Ricardo Mestre has fallen four times at A Volta. I guess luck just wasn't with him this year. Vidal Fitas a bit emotional on his interview. As far as the race goes, Carmim has now to rely on Nélson Vitorino I would guess.

Tomorrow they go up to Torre.

canyonball said:
After the stage, David Blanco went to the CARMIM camp and left his lucky amulet to be handed to Ricardo Mestre. They have rode together before at Prio-Tavira and are known to be friends.

Ricardo Mestre has fallen four times at A Volta. I guess luck just wasn't with him this year. Vidal Fitas a bit emotional on his interview. As far as the race goes, Carmim has now to rely on Nélson Vitorino I would guess.

Tomorrow they go up to Torre.

Watched the stage last night.
Looked like a terrible crash.
Down the banking and into that concrete yard?

I couldn't believe it was Ricardo Mestre, yet again.

Anyone have any news on the extent of injuries?

Oh and a nice win by Reus. Went very early and held on strong.
United Healthcare are having a great Volta.

TRENDING THREADS