• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

74ª Volta a Portugal 15/08 to 26/08

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Just back from the gym. During the morning, some riders reckoning the course. Colombia-Coldeportes, Saur-Sojasun, Carmim-Prio. Also cars from Efapel, Onda-Boavista and LA-Antarte. They were going past a bit fast.The only cyclist I dared to guess was Brice Feillu (at least it was someone tall and scarely skinny)

It's not typical August Weather. Fresh and the roads have dried out for the most part.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Only thing they said on RTP is that David Blanco start is scheduled at 16:40. Given that there are 123 in competition, last placed Victor Hugo Peña should have started already.

Link to the GC ("Geral individual") after stage 8

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
and do we have any times yet?

Nope. RTP Informação should be live in five minutes to tell us what's going on.

Edit: Victor Hugo Peña just passed through. Should be finishing any time now

His time: 32,6 km in 41:15:30

while i don't dislike blanco, it pains me to see a spanish holding the record of volta wins with no portuguese rider close to at least equaling it in the next 10 years. . . . the new guys stepping up will never stay on the national scene long enough to do it.

anyway after this volta, has any portuguese rider shown enough talent to maybe get himself a contract on a Pro conti team?

i would go with josé gonçalves, amaro antunes and daniel silva imo.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
while i don't dislike blanco, it pains me to see a spanish holding the record of volta wins with no portuguese rider close to at least equaling it in the next 10 years. . . . the new guys stepping up will never stay on the national scene long enough to do it.

anyway after this volta, has any portuguese rider shown enough talent to maybe get himself a contract on a Pro conti team?

i would go with josé gonçalves, amaro antunes and daniel silva imo.

none of those. look at how badly broco and cardoso have been failing this year

Ryo Hazuki said:
none of those. look at how badly broco and cardoso have been failing this year

neither broco nor cardoso are as talented as antunes and gonçalves. but they aren't Colombians so ofc they aren't even worth a place on a pro conti team . . . .

ok ryo

also cardoso is actually doing fairly well at the vuelta which is his first GT.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
neither broco nor cardoso are as talented as antunes and gonçalves. but they aren't Colombians so ofc they aren't even worth a place on a pro conti team . . . .

ok ryo

also cardoso is actually doing fairly well at the vuelta which is his first GT.

we aren't talking about colombians. but if you must talk about them, then yes they don't even hold a candle to them. antunes and goncalves aren't very big talents(goncalves bigger than antunes a lot though), broco was a huge talent in u23, bigger than those 2 you named.

Broco's career was derailed because he didn't fit in at Liberty Seguros, but his recovery is his biggest problem, I was surprised they put him in the Vuelta and not the Volta team as a result. André Cardoso may never be a leader anywhere, but he'll make a pretty decent mountain domestique, he just doesn't have anyone to domestique FOR at Caja Rural.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for recordings of older Volta editions and of other races in Portugal (Like Porto-Lisboa e.g.). Unfortunately there isn't so much too find before 2009. Only snippets. RTP has shown hours and hours, so maybe someone has recorded this stuff. :)

TRENDING THREADS