• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

75th Tour de Romandie (2.UWT) // 27th of April - 2nd of May 2021

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What's surprising is no Jumbo Visma in the top 10. Din't expect that when they came here with Kuss and Kruijswik, and how the both blitzed the prologue. Maybe the cold weather or something, I doubt it's just general lack of form .

To be fair, with the exception of Roglič, van Aert and Vingegaard, the rest of the team has been a hot mess. Especially the "established" riders who should be showing some form and results. Tom has stepped off the bike all together, Kuss has returned to his usual spring self, Kruijswijk is worse with each coming race and Bennet has barely raced anything. Though even in the past seasons 2018 and 2019 the spring results of the team were usually abyssmal (with the exception of Roglič). Last year they were in top form through the season. But there was no spring part of the season to speak off.

So maybe after the coming month, where they will all have organised and structured high altitude training camps, the rest of the team will step up. In 2018 and 2019 things changed masivelly at the Tour (and prep races). So I am counting on Tignes to do its job, as per usual. The only one that really worries me is Kruijswijk. Even in the previous seasons he rarely missed a top 10 of a week long stage race. He never won or podiumed, but he was always there. This year, he can't even break the top 20 while leading the team. Kuss will be in top form by the Tour, I am almost sure, but Steven is looking very unconvincing...

It's nice to see how Cattaneo was able to turn his career around since he left Lampre and signed with Savio.
The guy was yet another talent Italian prospect (winner of the 2011 Baby Giro and 3rd in the Tour de l'avenir in both 2011 and 2012) ruined by Lampre. He was always a good TTer (8th in the final TT of the 2019 Giro, ahead of Nibali and Roglic while having a clearly inferior TT bike and also 10th in the San Marino ITT) and he hasn't finished a TT outside the top 15 since he joined Quickstep.
He's a quality rider and a good climbing domestique.

It's nice to see how Cattaneo was able to turn his career around since he left Lampre and signed with Savio.
The guy was yet another talent Italian prospect (winner of the 2011 Baby Giro and 3rd in the Tour de l'avenir in both 2011 and 2012) ruined by Lampre. He was always a good TTer (8th in the final TT of the 2019 Giro, ahead of Nibali and Roglic while having a clearly inferior TT bike and also 10th in the San Marino ITT) and he hasn't finished a TT outside the top 15 since he joined Quickstep.

I'm somewhat surprised Cattaneo isn't in the Giro squad for QS, thought he could be really useful as a domestique for mid mountains who can pull on the flat reasonably well too.

What's surprising is no Jumbo Visma in the top 10. Din't expect that when they came here with Kuss and Kruijswik, and how the both blitzed the prologue. Maybe the cold weather or something, I doubt it's just general lack of form .
Kruijswijk has not fared well uphill anywhere this season. Only did some decent tt's, and not even that in this race. I wonder what's up. He was looking as normal until he got covid in the giro last year. Maybe worse effects than he thought?

Avenir 2011/ Baby Giro he benefitted from splits on easier road stages. In 2012 he was one of the oldest in the top-10. I mean, sure, all stages count for GC, but without giving context, one would think he was genuinely one of the best outright, when in reality he was 14th and 8th on the MTFs in the Baby Giro and Avenir in 2011.

TRENDING THREADS