• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

76th Tour de Pologne (2.UWT) 2019-08-03 - 2019-08-09

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Clipboard.jpg

A Danish climber... all the talents atm are good roulers, but no one can really climb. Apart from Vingegaard apparently. Never expected this at all!
He was in the lead group in the final Itzulia stage this year eye-witnessing Buchmann as he took the wrong turn before the finish. With the lack of big big names in Poland, I can't say I am too surprised that he would be among the top 15 best in the GC. But I cannot pretend to be unsurprised that he was outright the best of everyone in this company.

Now there is a real chance that we will see two danish WT stage race overall wins this year. I can't recall this ever happening before.

Honore, Gregaard and Eg all seem to have some climbing capabilities.
True, but none of them have really performed on this level before. But I guess that goes to show how good Danish cycling is atm. Vingegaard was just the best rider in the peloton today. His season hasn't been great, but he has shown flashes, for example on the last stage of Pais Vasco. That stage was raced brutally hard and was actually very similar to this one with regards to length and difficulty. But I had never seen this one coming.

LS: Oh yeah, I should have known better!

Hello Danes, how do you pronounce the leader's surname? Does it sound like vineyard?

It's a compound word.

Vinge means wing and is pronounced like it's spelled. Stress the first syllable. The v is like an English v, the i is like the i in "wing", the "ng" sound is pronounced like "ng" in wing and the e is not silent but pronounced like the e in the English "the".

Gaard means farm and is pronounced a bit like the English "law" but with stød, making the word end sound like a finish and a shorter sound than law. And of course with a hard g instead of l.

Last edited:
It's a compound word.

Vinge means wing and is pronounced like it's spelled. Stress the first syllable. The v is like an English v, the i is like the i in "wing", he "ng" sound is pronounced like "ng" in wing and the e is not silent but pronounced like the e in the English "the".

Gaard means farm and is pronounced a bit like the English "law" but with stød, making the word end sound like a finish and a shorter sound than law. And of course with a hard g instead of l.
Now that is what I call a proper explanation.

Of course, it begs the question, what is a "wing farm"? Or is it better I don't ask.

TRENDING THREADS