• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

77th Tour de Romandie (2.UWT) // 23rd - 28th of April 2024

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

yes or no

• Total voters
Romandie deciding to turn this climb into a middling cat 2 finish is pure Romandie

Creusaz.gif
I doubt that the road is suitable for a professional cycling race up to La Creusaz

Overhead heli cam just doesn't feel like live action to me, I don't feel "in the moment" whenever they do it. Probably because of a different background sound, not seeing the fans, I don't know. And I'm with Toby on the head on shots, absolute no problem with identifying riders or seeing who's first, unless it's really close and riders don't really know themselves who won. Yeah sure in those instances a heli view often gives a better view who wins, but I don't really mind seeing that 30 seconds later. I usually just rewind and pause on the finish line to be sure if it's super close honestly.

You also wouldn't even realize a crash happens outside the top 20 of the peloton if you just show a zoomed in heli view (have to zoom in otherwise you can't see).

Obviously not the angle being used normally and you know that too.
My sentiments exactly, I just prefer the head on rather than the heli shots for the live action. It’s also great if they show the overhead right after a bunch sprint. Combining those two elements work great. Perhaps drones will be able to half the difference between the two.

Reactions: jmdirt
Is Thibau Nyss the next Belgian?
Now you're going to get him on the overrated list when he doesn't dominate every race 12 months a year.

'He was supposed to be the next great Belgian hope, but all he's won is a stage of the ToT and a few CX races' this year.

EDIT: Actually, I'm shocked that there aren't post like: "he might have won this stage, but if Remco/Jonas were healthy he couldn't hang with them."

• Wow
Reactions: Lequack
How is a 7% climb impossible to make differences on?
Les-Mar-cottes.jpg

The steepest part is in the middle of the climb, followed by a short flat section and then a long gentle 5% section. If a strong team like UAE had raced aggressively they might have gained a few seconds (although this is also very questionable), but it wouldn't have made any sense as the decisive stage is tomorrow.

Reactions: Escarabajo
Les-Mar-cottes.jpg

The steepest part is in the middle of the climb, followed by a short flat section and then a long gentle 5% section. If a strong team like UAE had raced aggressively they might have gained a few seconds (although this is also very questionable), but it wouldn't have made any sense as the decisive stage is tomorrow.

Of course it would have made sense, 10 minutes of intensity doesn't kill you for tomorrow.

Reactions: Sandisfan
How is a 7% climb impossible to make differences on?

And yet Plapp made a difference ?

I watched highlights if I can use that term

Firstly the camera work ? no one seems to know what the favourites were up to as we hardly saw them

And then riders like Carapaz , all UAE, Jayco Alula, Ineos , what were they doing

No Pogacar or Vinge or Rog or Remco and they sit looking at each other ..beggars belief

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Maybe you should have checked the profile of the climb
I did and, yes, I realize this wasn't the Angliru. However, there were sections where the gradient was above 10%. There was definite potential for attacks. It's more disappointing as the likes of Bernal will lose time tomorrow and they needed to win some time today ideally. Saturday is longer and hopefully, there will be action then. But that climb is less steep, so it's disappointing there wasn't much action today