• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

82nd Volta a Portugal em Bicicleta Santander (August 4-15)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Don't tell that to my cousin's Brazilian wife...
Pronunciation between Brazilian and Portuguese Portuguese differs massively, though. The huge amounts of palatalized finals in Portuguese Portuguese probably explains the comparison.
Portuguese commentators can't tell the difference between Puerto Rico and Costa Rica
Carlton Kirby called Abner the Peruvian national champion earlier in the year.
Efapel are clueless, use Carvalho as a domestique since the other 2 are clearly stronger.
Put me and my cousin as a translator in the teamcar and they'll do better...
That said, W52 is also messing up atm.
Efapel are the gold standard of Volta tactics. They've managed to lose GCs when they had five potential leaders and were as strong as, like, 2009 Liberty Seguros.
76kg Moreira riding down attacks by Rodrigues and Antunes would be pretty wild in any other race. At the Volta it's just another day at work.
A shame really, I liked Moreira, and his dad is basically the entire essence of the sport in Uruguay. Those illegal feeds are at least an explanation to some extent, but this is definitely Volta-tastic.
Candido Barbosa is an almost mythical creature, so it's hard to compare a normal human being to him.

Marque now leads the gc, 51sec ahead of Moreira. Efapel and W52 should be able to drop him on the less tactical ascents, but his teammate Veloso sits 4th on the gc, only 18 sec behind Moreira and is also a good TTer. He can be used to cover attacks, if W52 and Efapel manage to play the numbers games.

It would be the most Volta thing ever if Marque and Veloso were the ones to end theW52/Porto streak.
Well, now Moreira has been punished by the illegal feeds, we now have Marque and GCV 1-2 on the GC, two 40-year-old Spanish exiles, so this is the most Volta thing there could be. The rouleur turned climber should have been Oyarzún and João Benta needed a better day for peak Volta though. Abner González has no place in this GC, being a young and promising rider.

The poster to whom you responded mentioning Cândido at Torre has clearly forgotten his most ridiculous Torre performance, 2007 when he was third. That was pretty extraterrestrial especially given the stronger field back then, this 80kg sprinter outclimbing Pozzovivo, Pecharromán, Azevedo, Sevilla, Blanco, Ribeiro and Dan Martin...

MnR

Oct 4, 2019
Visit site
The poster to whom you responded mentioning Cândido at Torre has clearly forgotten his most ridiculous Torre performance, 2007 when he was third. That was pretty extraterrestrial especially given the stronger field back then, this 80kg sprinter outclimbing Pozzovivo, Pecharromán, Azevedo, Sevilla, Blanco, Ribeiro and Dan Martin...

I remeber that Barbosa had an amazing performance in Torre, but i miss by one year in my PCS research.

Even with the illegal feeding, Moreira climbing was realy suprising.

If Abner can keep this level, the youth jersey is find. (and probably a good news for Movistar)

The way GC are, will be amazing to see W52 and Efapel making that tatical moves in every stage , and the two "oldies" slow pacing them down.

In the end entering the breakaway payed off for Luis Gomes. Last year he was always up there on the hilly stages and the TTs, he only lost time on the 2 big mountain stages. If he can recover after that effort and won't loose a ton of time today he has made a big step when it comes to finishing top 10 on the gc.
Speaking of today, the stage looks like a potential ambush stage:
volta-a-portugal-2021-stage-4-profile-db7ef3de59.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan
That was junior racing style. I think partly that is the nature of the Volta. Secondly, the eternal rivalry between W52 and Efapel. Thirdly, with Torre coming so early in the race, the GC was completely open and no-one wanted to sacrifice their chances, even if they were on a slightly off day.

This sets up the race beautifully.

Reactions: Sandisfan