• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

85th/24th La Flèche Wallonne, April 21st, 2021

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will cross the finish line first according to the commissaires and the photo finish camera?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Was a little surprised by the lack in confidence amongst the posters for Ala. Certainly he is not in peak form, but he made it deep into Flanders and Amstel, and I think with the shorter distance and predictable nature of the race, the fact that the style of the race fits Ala perfectly is more important than peak form.

Reactions: postmanhat
If Alaphilippe is on top form, there's nothing to do here. If he's not on absolute top but just a little below like he probably was today, he is beatable, but you need a harder race and a harder pace on the Mur.

I've also noticed while the majority of other contenders had their teammates helping them with positioning in the last 30km, Roglič was always alone and did a couple of sprints by himself to get in good position. Maybe that was the plan, but I don't think it was a good plan.
Same for Valverde (working into position on his own)

Quickstep rode really well today with Knox marshalling things going in to town and Honore going on the attack on the approach to the mur, while all the time making sure Ala was well positioned.
Ineos had as many numbers but after being at the front for a long time managed to to get Pidcock well out of position, not that it would have mattered in the end.

Reactions: jmdirt
Was a little surprised by the lack in confidence amongst the posters for Ala. Certainly he is not in peak form, but he made it deep into Flanders and Amstel, and I think with the shorter distance and predictable nature of the race, the fact that the style of the race fits Ala perfectly is more important than peak form.

Great. Couldn't you have said that before the race and in the prediction's thread? :mad:

:kissingheart:

Reactions: Hihope and jmdirt
He just set the new record time on Mur de Huy so perhaps he's hitting peak form now.

Peak Ala would've been there in the finals for Flanders/Amstel. Today he just equaled the best climbing time and he went quite early comparing to other editions. He is the man to beat in LBL.

Movistar really bad, Valverde was nowhere near the front at the start of the Mur and had to do lots of work. Jumbo weren't perfect either, but nowhere near as bad as Movistar.
Pidcock was really strong after having to chase, but Ineos playing the waiting game instead of sending at least one rider to attack earlier on the Mur was a bit stupid.

Alaphillipe showing off his inner Dennis Taylor at the finish...

taylor.jpg

Alaphilippe and Roglic break the Huy record (by 1 second from Valverde)!

Mur de Huy
2021:1 km@11,1%---2:40---average speed 22.50 km/h(Alaphilippe-Roglic)
They say it was an easier route in 2014 but I don't remember what was different?

The 2018 and 2019 editions were both quite good with interesting late attacks. This edition sucked. Maybe because too many teams had riders thinking they could win from a bunch sprint?

It's probably better for the race if Alaphilippe is the only conceivable winner beforehand. But then the sprint itself would of course be less interesting.

Reactions: Hihope and johnymax

TRENDING THREADS