• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

85th/24th La Flèche Wallonne, April 21st, 2021

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will cross the finish line first according to the commissaires and the photo finish camera?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Actually, I think FW has to be like it is, the who is who in the puncheurs state of the peloton. I wouldnt mind more hardness on the race to see less riders arriving at the Mur, but I wouldnt like to watch other thing than a sprint.
I also think that AGR and LBL should finish uphill, as these three races are the true world championships of puncheurs. For flat finish there are many more classics the rest of the year.

I agree with wanting to see a sprint in FW.

I absolutely do not agree with the point about AGR and LBL.

Actually, I think FW has to be like it is, the who is who in the puncheurs state of the peloton. I wouldnt mind more hardness on the race to see less riders arriving at the Mur, but I wouldnt like to watch other thing than a sprint.
I also think that AGR and LBL should finish uphill, as these three races are the true world championships of puncheurs. For flat finish there are many more classics the rest of the year.
Why do you need 3 WCs for the punchers?

Reactions: Velolover2
I am interested to see how Chaves and A.Yates perform in their debut in the race - This is a race where you should always have 2 riders for the final.
Maybe to put into position the main guy, other than that you don't need 2, one is more than enough. Valverde only once had Dani Moreno 200-300 m into the Mur, chasing Jungels if I remember correctly. Every other time he was on his own, but that didn't bother him...

Pidcock has good form but I don't think he has that climbing ability. in RVV he got dropped. Surprised nobody gave a star to Schachmann, I think the guy would be in top10. Pogacar is the favorite for me, I think Roglic is gonna mess up the attack.

Yeah, maybe top 10 for Max. Conquering a steep ramp in a short time is not necessarily Schachmann's main strength. I think that's a good self-assessment from Max from today:

“The past few years have shown that the decision always falls out of the remaining field. That will probably happen again this time too. And since it is very, very steep in the end, I tend to count myself among the extended circle of favorites "

Agree with the notion that a somewhat big group arriving at the foot of the Mur is fine for this race. We only have this kind of racing with this kind of field once a year so I don't mind.

I disagree however that I'd be outright sad if it doesn't end in a sprint. I think attackers theoretically being able to win is something that should always remain part of the race. The question if this will be the year where someone can finally pull it off feels like the most (and really only) intriguing thing for the first 191km and I'm always rooting for the Wellens' and Schachmann's of this world to make it.

Edit: *191.5km

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yates had done the race three times before, but with no luck (he DNF'd twice and finished 97 in his debut). It's a race that should suit him though - after all he did beat Roglic on a similar finish in Tirreno two years ago. However, he didn't look very good in Pais Vasco, so I'm not too sure the form is there.

Yes, one time Yates was involved in a crash with 30kms to go - Never realised Chaves has twice ridden Fleche but they were in his infancy as a rider - I'll be interested to see how they perform as outsiders.

If it's a sprint to the finish between the favourites, Roglic is #stompmaster & not even Pogacar will beat him. Alaphilippe maybe, but he seems downbeat for whatever reasons (even his interviews come off as depressing these days).

But if there's a lot of action, breaks & movement in the peloton beforehand, it's anyone's guess really. That's what makes these one day races special.

TRENDING THREADS