• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

85th/24th La Flèche Wallonne, April 21st, 2021

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will cross the finish line first according to the commissaires and the photo finish camera?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The 2018 and 2019 editions were both quite good with interesting late attacks. This edition sucked. Maybe because too many teams had riders thinking they could win from a bunch sprint?

It's probably better for the race if Alaphilippe is the only conceivable winner beforehand. But then the sprint itself would of course be less interesting.
I think there were just less guys of good quality wanting to try.

Attacking the penultimate climb is stupid, I think any "long" range attack should take off on the penultimate Mur.

Just watched the women's race. I liked the men's race but the women's was terrific. Attacks by most of the favorites well before the Mur and several splits in the bunch unlike in the men's race. Not sure what AVV was thinking going so hard for so long before the finale. That had to have taken something out of her legs for the Mur.

Just watched the women's race. I liked the men's race but the women's was terrific. Attacks by most of the favorites well before the Mur and several splits in the bunch unlike in the men's race. Not sure what AVV was thinking going so hard for so long before the finale. That had to have taken something out of her legs for the Mur.

She knew she wasn't going to win in a sprint against van der Breggen or Vollering, so trying to get away or tiring the opponents was her only option. She probably would have finished on the podium if she had been less agressive though.

Reactions: yaco and JosefK
Quotation from Niewiadoma. I would expect a similar one from Roglic.

"I have no regrets with how I raced the Mur," Niewiadoma said on a team Twitter post after the race. "Our team did great and I was feeling confident to finish it off. I truly believed I could follow her [Van der Breggen's] last attack but then I just couldn’t. Anna’s achievement is impressive. I have to be satisfied with second, and a podium."

Quotation from Niewiadoma. I would expect a similar one from Roglic.

"I have no regrets with how I raced the Mur," Niewiadoma said on a team Twitter post after the race. "Our team did great and I was feeling confident to finish it off. I truly believed I could follow her [Van der Breggen's] last attack but then I just couldn’t. Anna’s achievement is impressive. I have to be satisfied with second, and a podium."
Yes, I just saw a short interview with Roglic on today's race/outcome. Basically, no regrets or second-guessing himself. He said Julien was just stronger today and deserved the win. -- Was basically happy with how he performed; wanted to win, but the stronger guy got the win.

I wrote earlier that Roglic took off early and that was the reason for his loss. Having said that, there was a new record by Ala on the climb, which means that Roglic's strategy would have worked had not been by Ala's spectacular performance. Which means that Roglic probably did the right strategy. If he had gone with Ala at the end, He would have lost as well IMHO.

Ala owns this climb now!

Reactions: JosefK
He can at best timeshare it with van der Breggen.

I have realised that at one point we were this close to having an attack trio (well, counterattack, Winder was still off the front at that point) of Niewiadoma, Cille and Vollering. I would have marked out so unbelievably hard for that in a manner not seen from me since Pooley and Lichtenberg were still active.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
2021:
perfil-flecha-valona-2021-actualizado.jpg

2014:
profil-valona-2014.png

So the current route is harder but not by much.

Reactions: Red Rick
sW7n6FQECDdiUpQZJnLD68-970-80.jpg.webp

Congratulations to Julian Alaphilippe for taking the win.

Mur de Huy didn't disappoint. Roglič pretty much did what i expected him to do and the performance was on another level. It's just that today Alaphilippe was better. The way Alaphilippe bridged that gap. Today he had Mur de Huy under control and he deserved to win.

Reactions: JosefK
sW7n6FQECDdiUpQZJnLD68-970-80.jpg.webp

Congratulations to Julian Alaphilippe for taking the win.

Mur de Huy didn't disappoint. Roglič pretty much did what i expected him to do and the performance was on another level. It's just that today Alaphilippe was better. The way Alaphilippe bridged that gap. Today he had Mur de Huy under control and he deserved to win.
Yes, on reflection, and after reading plenty other posts and re-watching the finale, I don't think it would have made a difference if Roglic waited another 100 meters to take off. It was going to be Alaphilippe (today).

TRENDING THREADS