• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

94th Ronde van Vlaanderen - April 4

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You know that a few years ago, after Devolder finished 11th in the Vuelta, some actually believed he would become a Tour contender? Even Wuyts (Belgian commentator) :D

I remember the Vuelta, Devolder took gold due to a long flight in a mountain stage, Menchov was 2nd, and they asked Van Houwelingen (Rabo DS) what he thought. Van Houwelingen said they didn't see Devolder as a threat.
Wuyts was making a big fuzz out of that the following day, saying something along the lines of "just wait and see mr. Van Houwelingen. Clearly they don't know much at Rabobank." and blablabla.. and the next mountain stage, Devolder dropped at the bottom of the climb and lost over 5 minutes.

Never had a better laugh at Wuyts than there :eek:
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
Haussler is out of the RVV and Paris - Roubaix. He must be gutted. I hope Klier can do a good ride, who knows, get a well deserved win.
 
Mar 18, 2009
1,844
1
0
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
What is the forum members' impression of Chavanel's (QTS) current form?

I think it is hard to say what Chavanel's form is currently...have not seen much of him...but does that mean his form is below par? Same with Devolder...however, now you are hearing that he may be sandbagging? Did Cavendish start something last year at MSR? Are some of these riders hiding the form so that they can "surprise" some of the other riders? I don't know...would love to hear other opinions...
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
It's interesting, Haussler believes in five years time Cav can win RVV, Klier thinks he could, but it would have to be a headwind, and when he gets to 31. But he would rather employ him to win 5 stages at the TdF then win RVV.
 
Apr 12, 2009
2,364
0
0
Visit site
craig1985 said:
It's interesting, Haussler believes in five years time Cav can win RVV, Klier thinks he could, but it would have to be a headwind, and when he gets to 31. But he would rather employ him to win 5 stages at the TdF then win RVV.
I don't believe Cav can win RVV. Ever.
Even Zabel never could...
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
I don't believe Cav can win RVV. Ever.
Even Zabel never could...

He can't climb with half the field so how would he win RVV. Just because he was on the front of the kemmelberg last year in GW when nobody could care less about the win at that time everyone thinks he can now win RVV.
 
Oct 23, 2009
77
0
0
Visit site
TRDean said:
I think it is hard to say what Chavanel's form is currently...have not seen much of him...but does that mean his form is below par? Same with Devolder...however, now you are hearing that he may be sandbagging? Did Cavendish start something last year at MSR? Are some of these riders hiding the form so that they can "surprise" some of the other riders? I don't know...would love to hear other opinions...

+1

I don't know either. Don't think that Cav started something, but it is hard for me to belive that Devolder or Chavenel are just out of form. :confused: If you are a back to back winner of RVV, to not to be at least a contender something has to happen (injury, illness, lost of motivation, team change, etc.). I definitely don't belive that in team solely based on Classics like QS, two of the top top guys just fu**ed up their form timing so much. This team is a Classics winning machine and now few days before start of RVV Lefevere steps out and shout - "stupid Devolder, I don't like how he is focusing just on Ronde" or what??? Sorry...:rolleyes:
 
Ibanez said:
Indeed, Cervelo looking weak. Shame, they were the story of the classics last year.

They still have Hushovd, and he's shown a little gumption on hills in the past...

Okay, maybe we'll have to wait until Roubaix to put Cervelo in a list of pre-race favorites.

But Haussler IS a shame. I really enjoy watching that guy race, and hope he gets himself a monument someday soon.
 
Mar 10, 2009
130
0
0
Visit site
It's a shame that Haussler won't be starting. He certainly would've added something...
Same for Boassen Hagen. Maybe not quite cut out for the win (yet), but I'm fairly sure he would have made an attempt...

As for predictions... Let's put it like this...
I fear Devolder, I think Cancellara, and I hope Langeveld...
 
Mar 27, 2010
85
0
0
Visit site
TRDean said:
I think it is hard to say what Chavanel's form is currently...have not seen much of him...but does that mean his form is below par? Same with Devolder...however, now you are hearing that he may be sandbagging? Did Cavendish start something last year at MSR? Are some of these riders hiding the form so that they can "surprise" some of the other riders? I don't know...would love to hear other opinions...

Chacanel are not at the same level they were last year, last year chavanel won a stage in PN and had several good results before "vlaanderens mooiste" and Devolder is really bad at the moment, despite how hard he is trying to say otherwist. And you can't compare it to La Primavera, even Freire said you don't have to be in your best topform to win it, and he has some knowledge of how to win it I suppose. And for Vlaanderen you need to be in topform and sometimes have some luck (like devolder last 2 years) to win it or even contend
 
Apr 29, 2009
380
1
0
Visit site
If Chavanel and Devolder had the form, they would have shown it by now. But then Devolder is adamant he is doing just fine and was pulling along Boonen at 65kph in the E3.

So who knows. Certainly, with a track record of 4 from 4 in the last two years, it would be stupid to write a team like this off. But then, in the years past QS bossed ALL the classics, not just the big 2. They would have numbers making the selections like Rabo are achieving this year, and be prominent at the head of the race all day long pulling things along. The whole team seems off. Maybe they are just tired of forcing every race, but somehow I doubt that's the case.

I'm rooting for Pozzato anyway. Just because of that redonkulous Italian Champ kit.
 
Mar 27, 2010
85
0
0
Visit site
Ibanez said:
If Chavanel and Devolder had the form, they would have shown it by now. But then Devolder is adamant he is doing just fine and was pulling along Boonen at 65kph in the E3.

So who knows. Certainly, with a track record of 4 from 4 in the last two years, it would be stupid to write a team like this off. But then, in the years past QS bossed ALL the classics, not just the big 2. They would have numbers making the selections like Rabo are achieving this year, and be prominent at the head of the race all day long pulling things along. The whole team seems off. Maybe they are just tired of forcing every race, but somehow I doubt that's the case.

I'm rooting for Pozzato anyway. Just because of that redonkulous Italian Champ kit.

With that you mean the Classics in Flanders adn PR I suppose, because in the other classics they have never ever bossed things, they don't even have a favourite for the other classics, maby boonen in Paris-Tours.

But I agree completely with you that you can not write them off, but they are not the only ones who aren't in best of forms right now when these are the races that matter for them like the BMC riders or Omega Pharma - Lotto.

What do you guys think that Boom will be capable of sunday? He has a strong team and seems to get stronger every race he rides. Erik dekker said that at the E3 prijs Boom was nearly capable of following Pozzato when he went alone after Boonen and co, and that he shad to let Pippo go only in the last part of the ssteep hill Pippo went forward. For someone riding his first spring classics I think he's doing a terrific job
 
Apr 29, 2009
380
1
0
Visit site
Yeah sorry, I meant Northern classics. Het Volk through to Scheldeprijs, Quick Step are always there.

I can see Boom following all the moves and finishing in the first big group, but I doubt he will have the experience or legs to force a selection or anything like that. Much like half the Rabobank squad to be honest.
 
Mar 27, 2010
85
0
0
Visit site
Ibanez said:
Yeah sorry, I meant Northern classics. Het Volk through to Scheldeprijs, Quick Step are always there.

I can see Boom following all the moves and finishing in the first big group, but I doubt he will have the experience or legs to force a selection or anything like that. Much like half the Rabobank squad to be honest.

yeah, he is certainly not a top favourite, that's for sure, but after the 4 (maybe 5) strongest guys, the rabo's are strongest I think. Even Boonen called Boom a threat, although he doesn;t expect him to win. I think top 5 is possible for the guy and even a podium depending how the race unfolds.

But winning this race will be something for the upcoming years, And I certainly think he will be capable of. But in PR I think he is already capable of winning, or atleast among the big favourites due to the lesser climbing and more cobbolds
 
Oct 25, 2009
344
0
0
Visit site
blaxland said:
This really s*cks..........these two are both my favourite classics riders.....i thought this would be the year for Haussler?

+1

Unfortunately injuries happen to all but seem to be particularly harsh on 'next best things' along the way. Let's hope they both bounce back quickly and light up the season. Long range plan - underworked HH to tip out EBH at the worlds in Geelong.
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
I'm so pumped for this race. In body I'm in Australia, in spirit I'm in Ninove.

maratsafin said:
I've signed up to the full course so by the time I finish everyone else would have gone home so I need the GPS help!!!! cheers all

The route is signposted, you will be fine.
 
maikel said:
With that you mean the Classics in Flanders adn PR I suppose, because in the other classics they have never ever bossed things...

Going back to 2003, QS has 2 wins in Lombardia, and 2 in Milano-San Remo, plus multiple RVV and P-R wins. What other team has won 4 of the Monuments multiple times in the last 8 years? HHmm, that might be a topic for a new thread...