• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

94th Ronde van Vlaanderen - April 4

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Never to early for a 'Ronde' thread.
110y8i1.jpg

9ay610.jpg

Record winners:
dyn007_original_400_643_pjpeg__1ef72dea6e7a0135a6d7bb252bb46a08.jpg

Achiel Buysse (1940, 1941, 1943)

Fiorenzo Magni (1949, 1950, 1951)

Ciclismo%20-%20Campioni%20Eric%20Leman.jpg

Eric Leman (1970, 1972, 1973)

Johan Museeuw (1993, 1995, 1998)

Provisional startlist: http://rvv.be/rvv/elite-men/race/participants.rvv

Last years top 10:
1. Stijn Devolder Quickstep 06:01:04
2. Heinrich Haussler Cervelo Test Team 00:59
3. Philippe Gilbert Silence - Lotto zt.
4. Martijn Maaskant Team Garmin - Slipstream zt.
5. Filippo Pozzato Katusha zt.
6. Matti Breschel Saxo Bank zt.
7. Marcus Burghardt Team Columbia - HTC zt.
8. Bjorn Leukemans Vacansoleil zt.
9. Martin Elmiger Ag2R - La Mondiale zt.
10. Bert De Waele Landbouwkrediet - Colnago zt.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Canc is already trying to break-up Quick Step a little:
Cancellara: "Devolder seems no team player"

Today drive Fabian Cancellara Dwars door Vlaanderen in preparation for the Tour of Flanders. The Swiss has the major objective of the Round for years made. "From the large triptych was the only one still missing on my record."

"Dwars door Vlaanderen is my first acquaintance with cobblestones and hills. They are followed by the E3-Prijs and Gent-Wevelgem. If nothing goes wrong, then I chance to win the Tour," said Cancellara in Gazet van Antwerpen. "My condition is increasing."

For Cancellara, Tom Boonen is already the favorite for the Tour of Flanders. "He wants to win again, especially after everything that happened around him, telling Cancellara.Tom the past two years in the Tour knock, I would not use the word done it, by a teammate. While he was equally strong. Honestly, he will not allow third time verrassen.Devolder Boonen and his teammates but is also friends? I do not think that Devolder a real team player. I stand outside the team and I can therefore now vergissen.Tot Devolder and Hoste far been released everywhere soon, but I am convinced that they will be found in your "Holy Week". Then the Belgians always something extra.
sporza.be

Yes, it's Google translate.

ak-zaaf said:
Yes, it's Google translate.

Yes it is, isn't it? You can tell because they always leave the verb at the end of the sentence as happens in Latin, Dutch, German and probably others. :)

I'd love to see Cancellara win the Ronde. Something about that image of him carrying his broken-chained bike on his shoulder still haunts me!

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
ronde map

hiya do you know anywhere I can download a map of the ronde for my garmin? doing the sportive next weekend and it would be handy to have. thanks.

A GPX to a Garmin won't be needed as there are SO many cyclists doing it you will never have to worry about where to ride. I think last year I sat in one spot waiting for the riders in our Spring Classics tour to come in for about 4 hours with nothing but a steady flow of cyclists.

But the Garmin file would be helpful if you ever ride when there isn't 15,000+ riders to follow.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
After today I feel safe in saying that Sparticus or Boonen will shine in de Ronde. They both seemed very very strong. Booned may need a little more team support however....

TRDean said:
After today I feel safe in saying that Sparticus or Boonen will shine in de Ronde. They both seemed very very strong. Booned may need a little more team support however....

Wow, its almost that time of year. Starting to get excited alrady. Ironically, I was out for a ride today and was wearing my 'De Ronde' jersey I got at the Sportive a few years ago.

I didnt see the DDV today but its sounds like Cancellara, Boonen and Flecha will be the men to beat. I would actually like to see Gilbert take Vlanderen.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Wow, its almost that time of year. Starting to get excited alrady. Ironically, I was out for a ride today and was wearing my 'De Ronde' jersey I got at the Sportive a few years ago.

I didnt see the DDV today but its sounds like Cancellara, Boonen and Flecha will be the men to beat. I would actually like to see Gilbert take Vlanderen.

Pozzato also looking very strong. If he decides to sit on Boonen's wheel again for the entire race it could go any way.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Pozzato also looking very strong. If he decides to sit on Boonen's wheel again for the entire race it could go any way.

I don't think Pozzato will try that tactic again; Van Avermaet could be the man too. I'm not sure if Devolder is in top form, but he loves this race.

Andre

De Ronde is by far my favorite race on the Pro calendar and always has been.

Never bet against a Belgian in this race. I do think it's time for Tornado Tom Boonen to win again this year and his comptratiot Stijn Devolder will be a big threat as well (as usual of course).

I also agree with other posters however that Cancellara, Pozzato, Gilbert, and Flecha should make very strong showings.

I do think Tomeke Boonen will rule the day and then celebrate in his customary way with coke and hookers.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara did look very strong in Dwaars last night. Covered the moves with ease. Though i don't think he can bring home the bacon In RVV. Bit too hard or steep for him. Would have to go with someone who has some more punch on the climbs and a sprint like Ballan.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Am I being entirely unrealistic in hoping that Breschel could win? I know he's not the favourite of cause, but he finished 6th last year, and he looked very strong yesterday. He could easily make the final selection along with Cancellara giving Saxo Bank another double threat.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Am I being entirely unrealistic in hoping that Breschel could win? I know he's not the favourite of cause, but he finished 6th last year, and he looked very strong yesterday. He could easily make the final selection along with Cancellara giving Saxo Bank another double threat.

I think that is an excellent prediction. He can get over climbs quite well and packs a punch at the finish. better bet than FC IMO.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
quickstep have been rather poor on the cobbles so far.
But boonen is def. my favorite for the race, he looked far to good yesterday. However I get the feeling this will be one crazy race, no team seems in control this season. Could be interesting.
Spartacus and saxo also looked good yesterday.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hard to chose. Boonen and Cancellara are both motivated. I don't think Devolder will do it this year, just a gut instinct. I'm hoping Boonen for the win. I like his form and his determination.

TRENDING THREADS