• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

94th Ronde van Vlaanderen - April 4

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Moose McKnuckles said:
Spectacular quote. Man, that moment on the Muur was special. Truly amazing to see Cancellara open that gap on Boonen.

Once we set aside all the petty Armstrong v. Contador stuff, we see how absolutely beautiful and simultaneously painful this sport is.

+1 totally. What a moment. I was watching with my friend and I was saying 'canc, you have to accelerate! you have to accelerate... holy crap he IS accelerating!' He just rode away without leaving the saddle. Unbelievable.

yeesh, I'm sorry I even mentioned Armstrong in my initial post here about the interviews... guess I have 'a lot to learn' about what forum postings might lead to...

Phlakaton said:
I thought Hincapie could be in contention and he was - too bad he couldnt jump into that Boonen/Cancellara break...

what is it that makes you hesitate on getting into that????? legs not there? PR coming up? I cant understand why you would hesitated when those guys go! Makes zero sense if you could. Lame.

Armstrong comments... love or hate. He did well today. He can ride in any race. He has the mental game to win any race if he prepares for it. Too bad he always seems to dry toast interviews. I think he's on par with a lot of old pros when he talks in interviews.

He's just never understood (or had the legs) that the riders who win these races are the riders who create the action. He follows, every single time, and wonders why he can't win. When he has attacked it's when he's been in useless tactical situations. He's just never been good enough to win.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
He's just never understood (or had the legs) that the riders who win these races are the riders who create the action. He follows, every single time, and wonders why he can't win. When he has attacked it's when he's been in useless tactical situations. He's just never been good enough to win.

Yes.. and then he goes on like he was up for it... Sure thing George !

red_flanders said:

yeah, i love the guy and hope he can win next week, but the big guy needs to shut the f up and drop the hammer. no excuses, no regrets. just put his head down and ride. he could, it is a mental thing for him. screw tactics just ride.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
great race this morning, loved seeing boonen and canc work together instead of giving up when the initial gap was briefly stuck around 12-15 seconds. 2 clearly defined pre-race favorites ignoring more obvious tactical manuevering & making a relatively premature decision to really let the road decide which man is best.. you don't see that very often anymore. glad I got up bright & early to catch it live.

another mashup! this one featuring a golden tune from Sasha. hope some of yall enjoy it.

Ronde van Vlaanderen 2010 - Murder on the Muur II

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Do people think Hincapie could of won RVV or Roubaix if he had ridden for a team like Quick Step earlier in his career (or before that, Mapei)?

On another note, no rider from Footon finished the race, seriously, why the **** do they have a PT licence?

Hincapie is to the cobbled classics, what Raymond Poulider was to the Tour.....
.....no, wait, that's wrong....:rolleyes:

Young, inexperienced Geraint Thomas beat Alice Ballan.

Old George and The Rainbow Worrier are all that's stopping them for being a total embarrassment.

Vacansoleil crossed the line first, in Italy, yesterday.

Mellow Velo said:
Hincapie is to the cobbled classics, what Raymond Poulider was to the Tour.....
.....no, wait, that's wrong....:rolleyes:

Young, inexperienced Geraint Thomas beat Alice Ballan.

Old George and The Rainbow Worrier are all that's stopping them for being a total embarrassment.

Vacansoleil crossed the line first, in Italy, yesterday.

He's not happy. He's already lashed out at the article on Podium Cafe in regards to his "luck".

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Do our Dutch friends know what was wrong with Nick Nuyens? He was a DNF, when a few years ago he was on the podium (IIRC).

Not good enough according to his website. Still suffered from his falls in de E3.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The most important thing that happened with all this is the feud between I and auscycle. :D :D

auscyclefan94 said:
Cancellara did look very strong in Dwaars last night. Covered the moves with ease. Though i don't think he can bring home the bacon In RVV. Bit too hard or steep for him. Would have to go with someone who has some more punch on the climbs and a sprint like Ballan.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
lol, of course... Honestly IMO BMC havn't showed a thing to indicate they will do anything in the next fortnight.

Spartacus is very capable of getting over these climbs i feel, he showed strength at dwaars and I think he was holding back a bit. Boonen was holding back a bit to i feel, or merely testing his legs. Flecha looks good this season too.
I can see maaskant having a good RVV. He looked quite good at T-A and I bet he will do something in either RVV or P-R.

auscyclefan94 said:
Yes he will get over the climbs but others can get over them better and can sprint as well if needed. people like breschel ,boonen and ballan come into that bracket. That is why FC can do well in PR as it is flat.

I would say that ballan and hincapie for bmc are getting some form as well. Maybe not enough form to win this weekend but maybe the next week in RVV.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
i think you underestimate spartacus.

Spartacus sure did suck on those steep hills!!!

also to add insult to injury:

auscyclefan94 said:
I'm betting Cancellara will flonk and get left behind on the climbs.

auscyclefan94 said:
Going for Flecha solo tonight. Boonen will get too heavily marked and I don't think Cancellara will get over the climbs as well or as easily as some other riders.

sorry couldn't resist mate :eek: :p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
The most important thing that happened with all this is the feud between I and auscycle. :D :D

Spartacus sure did suck on those steep hills!!!

also to add insult to injury:

sorry couldn't resist mate :eek: :p

nah, that's alright. I did say in this thread and quoted you i think that egg was on my face.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
6th place dissapoiniting:eek:. Hincapie said he had the legs to go with tomeke and spartacus on the molenberg.

Sky were very dissapointing IMO...

Going to try to work out a team's classification for the race...may take a little while!

I had the legs to go with Tomeke and Spartacus on the Molenberg, and would have stuck with Fabian when he went on the Muur and then out sprinted him for the win while waving the NC flag and hamming it up for the crowd, and then I would have kissed the podium girl and then made passionate love to her right there on the top step, and then I would have said that I should have my prize money doubled because I am an amateur and they would have actually given me 5x as much because they think I am sooooo cool

I don't think either my nor Hincapie's statement is true, but anyone can say anything they want.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I had the legs to go with Tomeke and Spartacus on the Molenberg, and would have stuck with Fabian when he went on the Muur and then out sprinted him for the win while waving the NC flag and hamming it up for the crowd, and then I would have kissed the podium girl and then made passionate love to her right there on the top step, and then I would have said that I should have my prize money doubled because I am an amateur and they would have actually given me 5x as much because they think I am sooooo cool

I don't think either my nor Hincapie's statement is true, but anyone can say anything they want.

I was just repeating what GH said. Didn't mean I agreed with it nor that i know if he had the legs. i was just making a general statement.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Wow, what a race...can't really add to what has been said. I will say a couple of thoughts...Cancellara is a beast and Boonen close behind. I am amazed at the quality of team that Vacansoleil field...those guys are everywhere, and it is different riders all the time!! BMC was once again a pile of festering dung and I am tired of hearing "they are rounding into form". Surprised a little at Armstrong..didn't expect him to make it that well...but laughed at Cavendish (who could win this race someday LOL) DNFing. All in all a great race and why I love cycling.

On a smaller note..Skil wins in Hel van het Mergelland Saturday...and not saying they should have gotten a tour invite..but that is two more wins than BMC...and Floris Goesinnen rode a hell of a race in de Ronde!

Hincapie is full of bull**** then Auscyclefan.

Because if you watch the videos on Sporza, you'll see that later in the race, when Gilbert and Leukemans attack, Hincapie COMPLETELY blows up trying to follow them :)

If he can't follow those two, there is no way in hell he 'had the legs to follow Boonen and Cancellara' on the Molenberg.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara's SRM after Flanders
x2_1073d2e

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
6th place dissapoiniting:eek:. Hincapie said he had the legs to go with tomeke and spartacus on the molenberg.

Sky were very dissapointing IMO...

Going to try to work out a team's classification for the race...may take a little while!

Not sure, but Flecha was disappointing to be fair, Barry, Hayman Stannard, Thomas were on the front for ages and i thought did quite well, but must of been exhausted near the end.

For me Hayman was the strongest rider apart from Canc and Boonen as he was pulling for so long on the front and ending with position13 - a great ride by him.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
Not sure, but Flecha was disappointing to be fair, Barry, Hayman Stannard, Thomas were on the front for ages and i thought did quite well, but must of been exhausted near the end.

For me Hayman was the strongest rider apart from Canc and Boonen as he was pulling for so long on the front and ending with position13 - a great ride by him.

I'm pretty sure the third strongest was Breschel. He forced the initial selections and the only on who could actually follow him was Boonen. Probably Cancellara could have as well, but didn't since he was a team-mate.

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hincapie is full of bull**** then Auscyclefan.

Because if you watch the videos on Sporza, you'll see that later in the race, when Gilbert and Leukemans attack, Hincapie COMPLETELY blows up trying to follow them :)

If he can't follow those two, there is no way in hell he 'had the legs to follow Boonen and Cancellara' on the Molenberg.

Yes he did. He made a comment saying something to the effect that he quit working because nobody would organize or something to that effect, but if you watch the video, he loses the wheel after a strong effort, and that to me says that he maxed out, and had a lactic acid dump. He "blew up" just as you said.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
I'm pretty sure the third strongest was Breschel. He forced the initial selections and the only on who could actually follow him was Boonen. Probably Cancellara could have as well, but didn't since he was a team-mate.

its hard to say but Breschel is class and in good form but didnt string the leading peleton out for hours, Hayman was on the front for ages and drove relentlessly for the whole race, and i still think will do well at Paris- Roubaix.

But yes Breschel will definitely win again in April.

Thoughtforfood said:
Yes he did. He made a comment saying something to the effect that he quit working because nobody would organize or something to that effect, but if you watch the video, he loses the wheel after a strong effort, and that to me says that he maxed out, and had a lactic acid dump. He "blew up" just as you said.

I love Hincapie, and frankly one thing I noticed yesterday was that I wasn't quite as excited about Flanders (and assume it will be the same with Roubaix) when I don't think he has a chance of winning. That said, he does almost inevitably get himself in a situation where he's looking back and trying to urge people to pull through.

He's just not strong enough.

Anyone notice Cancellara asking someone to pull through in frustration yesterday? :)

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

As the pic of Gilbert's attack shows, the Hinc is what...at least 6 or 7 riders back from the "organized" move. He didn't have the legs to go. Period. There's always an excuse with the chaff.
(Although, when you loose to Canc, what else can you say but, "He was the strongest!")

040401ispa_0479_600.jpg

TRENDING THREADS