• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

94th Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2014 (2.WT, 24 March - 30 March)

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pricey_sky said:
Each rider to their own though, Froome never needs to go long as he has the strength and belief to gain time on a MTF. To be honest on several stages he has won he has really dug deep and not exactly rolled into the finish.

Rodriguez and Valverde don't have to go long either. That doesn't make their sprint wins any bit more exciting.

While many frown upon the Skytrain its funny that other teams (especially Movistar) try and control mountain stages too now.

What??:confused::confused:

No Sky did not invent "controlling mountain stages". no there's nothing funny about teams other than sky doing it. Its been done since before Brailsford knew what a bycicle was. - THAT right there, is one of the reason sky is disliked. Cos they and their fans keep claiming things that have existed since forever were invented by sky last year:rolleyes:

My point was that people label sky as boring yet Froome doesn't need the train and support to attack and get results, hell he even managed 100km's completely isolated from his team in the Tour stage last year! Ok many will say it was a massive Movistar/Saxo fail but it still shows his strength and the fear many others have of him.
Everyone knows he's strong. He won the TDF in perhaps the most dominant fashion in decades. That's got nothing to do with excitement. When compared to Contador or Nibali Froome cannot be labelled exciting becuase he's yet to do anything particularly daring or exciting. Beats riders by dropping them on mtfs.

The Hitch said:
Rodriguez and Valverde don't have to go long either. That doesn't make their sprint wins any bit more exciting.

What??:confused::confused:

No Sky did not invent "controlling mountain stages". no there's nothing funny about teams other than sky doing it. Its been done since before Brailsford knew what a bycicle was. - THAT right there, is one of the reason sky is disliked. Cos they and their fans keep claiming things that have existed since forever were invented by sky last year:rolleyes:

Everyone knows he's strong. He won the TDF in perhaps the most dominant fashion in decades. That's got nothing to do with excitement. When compared to Contador or Nibali Froome cannot be labelled exciting becuase he's yet to do anything particularly daring or exciting. Beats riders by dropping them on mtfs.

I've never claimed Sky have done anything that new that has not been done before, I take Brailsford's comments with a pinch of salt. As long as he gets results then Im sure he will continue to say what he likes. Sky do a job well and have had some good success in that way whilst they still have many areas to improve too.

Froome doesn't really fit the mould in that he doesn't need the train (as ive said before). He is strong enough to win on his own and I find stages where he is in form exciting, just my opinion. He works hard and buries himself in pain to attack and get results just like Nibs and Contador have done, its not a walk in the park like you have previously suggested