• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

95th Giro D'Italia 5-27th May 2012

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Why first year pros? Henao uran have been pros for a while and for nairo its his second season no ?

I was referring to Henao (probably should have made that clear earlier!), not saying anything about the others. I'd rather we rate each on their own merits regardless of where they are from.

I mean if Novikov or Kelderman had Henao's season so far and were starting here I'm sure they would also be getting significant hype.

Of course some people overstate certain riders based on their preferences but that doesn't mean we should automatically dismiss the hype as being unjustified.

Christian said:
Maybe Bardet at Vuelta

Let's hope so!

Ferminal said:
I was referring to Henao (probably should have made that clear earlier!), not saying anything about the others. I'd rather we rate each on their own merits regardless of where they are from.

Right but you said first year pro. Henao isnt a first year pro though. First year in europe but hes been a pro for a while.

The Hitch said:
Right but you said first year pro. Henao isnt a first year pro though. First year in europe but hes been a pro for a while.

Sorry, I meant pro, as in riding at Pro Continental or World Tour level (and thus the first year they are eligible to ride a GT).

In the wider sense, most coming through the top systems these days are professionals for the majority of their teenage years.

Ferminal said:
Sorry, I meant pro, as in riding at Pro Continental or World Tour level (and thus the first year they are eligible to ride a GT).

In the wider sense, most coming through the top systems these days are professionals for the majority of their teenage years.

Ok, but one does have to take into account that Henao is 24, whereas the riders you are trying to compare him to ( guys like Battaglin, Slagter, right?) are more 21-23.

Though gt wise, he possibly is the best prospect from his year group.

The Hitch said:
Ok, but one does have to take into account that Henao is 24, whereas the riders you are trying to compare him to ( guys like Battaglin, Slagter, right?) are more 21-23.

Poels, Kruijswijk, Taarmae, Uran, Stetina and Konig would be the other 1987 climbers. I would probably rate Henao as the best, because I've seen the others not be good enough yet, and because Konig has a mystery injury, which is always a good way to kill potential.

The Hitch said:

Sure, he should be better than those younger. That doesn't make him any less of a new and exciting prospect at the top level of the sport. I don't want to compare long-term (again, guess I had to add "this year" at the end of the earlier post) career prospects with any specific individuals, only arguing that the hype around him for what he might show in the coming weeks is justified (if you ignore the obvious outlier).

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
well he says it with a serious face and i won't be surprised.omega will smoke the ttt on wednesday no doubt

I am sure of that, with Holm to direct they will ride as HTC did in their days in TTT's, Garmin to win imo but OPQS should be in Top 3 imo.

TRENDING THREADS