• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A coffee and a small Danish.

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is it possible for a rider to have a brilliant career and not end up a meme? How many riders go out on top with a big win? Very few. Contador ended his career with grace but not with a big win. Nibali’s career fizzled out. Froome, Nairo and Roglic are deep in meme. Comments? Thanks for your opinions, I will try to do better.
Roglic is "deep in meme"? (whatever that means)
Last season saw a drop off compared to previous ones, but largely due to accidents in two grand tours. He still had 5 wins (6 if you count TTT) and 10 other podiums, all WT; came 17th (CQ), 23rd (UCI), 20th (PCS) 17th (First) last year, and if those playing the CQ game are to be trusted, widely considered likely to improve this year.
A long way from riding deep into notorious insignificance.

Last edited:
Is it possible for a rider to have a brilliant career and not end up a meme? How many riders go out on top with a big win? Very few. Contador ended his career with grace but not with a big win. Nibali’s career fizzled out. Froome, Nairo and Roglic are deep in meme. Comments? Thanks for your opinions, I will try to do better.
Fausto Masnada will do things in reverse, he start a meme (thanks to users here :( )and end up with a brilliant career

Haven't seen you much in the highly-active Roglic thread recently top cat

V3X93qCNAZk7LjssubQijJ-1200-80.jpg
Big=monument or gt

How about using the word "great" instead of "big"?

Because adding to the current discussion. Contadors last win was a great one and he ended his career in a great way.

If a rider is capable of winning a GT or monument one season, the likelihood of him not being offered a contract good enough to make him reconsider retirement the next is negligible.

Valverde was 12th in his last season, Contador 9th (CQ rankings), so they were very much at the upper reaches of the sport when they finished. Of course it is possible to find examples of those that weren't.

Really not sure what point you are trying to make here (and still at a total loss as to what "deep in meme" is meant to mean).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
If a rider is capable of winning a GT or monument one season, the likelihood of him not being offered a contract good enough to make him reconsider retirement the next is negligible. Really not sure what point you are trying to make here (and still at a total loss as to what "deep in meme" is meant to mean).
It depends on how much chance we're talking about, and I think the height riders came from matters. Contador won like 6 GTs in a row at one point. I don't think he was happy having a 5% shot at a GT. Same for a guy like Cancellara, who easily still could win more monuments if he had continued. I also think these 2 guys made enough money that financial incentives to continue needed to be pretty steep.

Reactions: topcat
Cancellara and Vino bowed out with Olympic gold. Armstrong’s retirement in 2005 was at the absolute top.
Yes. It really was a simple question. I apologise for the emotional outbursts from other forumites. So it's rare that we get to say "What a way to go out!".
I find it somewhat sad to watch a legend aging in mediocrity, but maybe they're happy to tour around with the peloton saying goodbye.

FDJ's Lewis Askey put an image on instagram of the team on a training camp in december being captured on Google Street View. As I have no life I spent this evening going on along the CV750 in Valencia to find them! Along the way, i've spotted AG Insurance NXTG, Romy Kasper who has now moved to the aforementioned AG Soudal Quickstep, Akea Samsic, ATT Investments, riders from Bikeexchange/Jayco Alula, Axeon , Wiv Sungod, Jumbo Visma Women (Who was on had AG Soudal Quickstep bikes and helmets so must be Romy Kasper). Ironically I couldn't actually find FDJ on either direction I went along it.

TRENDING THREADS