• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A horse is a horse of course of course...

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
BroDeal said:
...except in Europe where it's beef.

Those super high European meat standards seem to be a bit lax these days. Giddyup. Horse burgers with an extra helping of bute for everybody.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...opes-horse-meat-scandal-keeps-on-growing?lite

A horse is a horse but what is this?

Genetically-Engineered Meat Isn’t Tested for Human Safety
http://www.globalresearch.ca/genetically-engineered-meat-isnt-tested-for-human-safety/5323122

The problems begin with FDA’s bizarre decision to consider GE meat using its “New Animal Drug Approval” (NADA) process, a process designed for evaluation of new animal drugs (hence the name), not genetically engineered animals

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
...and then there's this...

An FDA-Created Health Crisis Circles the Globe
How corporations engineered the non-regulation of dangerous genetically modified foods
http://www.responsibletechnology.or...-Health-Crisis-Circles-the-Globe-October-2007

Since GM foods are not properly tested before they enter the market, consumers are the guinea pigs. But this doesn’t even qualify as an experiment. There are no controls and no monitoring. Without post-marketing surveillance, the chances of tracing health problems to GM food are low

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dave Brower and Fabiani get the cliff notes dude(s)
fast-food-nation.jpg

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Makes me glad to be a vegetarian. The horsemeat scandal is pretty big here in the UK right now. Pretty much every bit of cheap beef seems to have been horse. I have been surprised by how little most people seem to be bothered by it, though. I reckon horse might actually be hitting the shelves in the UK labelled as horse sometime soon.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Caruut said:
I have been surprised by how little most people seem to be bothered by it, though. I reckon horse might actually be hitting the shelves in the UK labelled as horse sometime soon.

It will open up the horse meat market big time :D.

Smoked horse meat has been a major seller in Holland for a long time.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
Makes me glad to be a vegetarian. The horsemeat scandal is pretty big here in the UK right now. Pretty much every bit of cheap beef seems to have been horse. I have been surprised by how little most people seem to be bothered by it, though. I reckon horse might actually be hitting the shelves in the UK labelled as horse sometime soon.

What makes you think foodstuff that shouldn't contain meat products doesn't?

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
What makes you think foodstuff that shouldn't contain meat products doesn't?

I'm not very confident that they don't. However, animal products are generally more expensive, and dishonest substitution of ingredients is done as a cost-saving measure. I don't eat much pre-prepared food anyway, just because it's generally too expensive.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
I'm not very confident that they don't. However, animal products are generally more expensive, and dishonest substitution of ingredients is done as a cost-saving measure. I don't eat much pre-prepared food anyway, just because it's generally too expensive.

I was hoping you were gonna post you only eat carrots that you grow yourself :D

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
in germany ironically the high class supermarkets have been struck by the scandal, whereas the discounters appear to be squeeky clean.:D

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
I live in a flat in London, not really an option.

In the Netherlands, living in a flat is usually no obstacle to growing all sorts of own vegetables :D
In fact, it could be an advantage if you have one electricity bill shared by all flatmates.

From a French perspective, this is an economic scam and cultural scandal, and not a nutritional problem. Horse meat is readily available here and even considered nutritionally superior by many.

Horse meat is cheaper than beef so buying horse meat and selling beef increases the margins. The Anglo Saxon culture doesn't accept horse meat (or rabbit for that matter), so that is the reason for the scandal in the UK and other countries.

Also, the fact that there was an exchange of ingredients doesn't reflect well on the controls in the food supply chain. If this happens, what other shady goings on are there.

I for one don't believe for a second that nobody but the boss knew what was happening. There must have been many Spanghero employees that knew what was happening and said nothing for whatever reason.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Horsemeat is typically of better quality than beef. Only problem is that it has to come from horses which are raised for consumption. Racehorses are galloping pharmacies and their cadavers need to be treated as toxic waste.

frenchfry said:
From a French perspective, this is an economic scam and cultural scandal, and not a nutritional problem. Horse meat is readily available here and even considered nutritionally superior by many.

Horse meat is cheaper than beef so buying horse meat and selling beef increases the margins. The Anglo Saxon culture doesn't accept horse meat (or rabbit for that matter), so that is the reason for the scandal in the UK and other countries.

Also, the fact that there was an exchange of ingredients doesn't reflect well on the controls in the food supply chain. If this happens, what other shady goings on are there.

I for one don't believe for a second that nobody but the boss knew what was happening. There must have been many Spanghero employees that knew what was happening and said nothing for whatever reason.

You said it better than I could have.
+1

Cobblestones said:
Horsemeat is typically of better quality than beef. Only problem is that it has to come from horses which are raised for consumption. Racehorses are galloping pharmacies and their cadavers need to be treated as toxic waste.

These horses appear to come from Rumania where it's now illegal for horse-drawn carriages to use the main roads (never mind the autoroutes :D)

In years past horsemeat in France and Switzerland came mostly, as far as I know, from Poland)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
frenchfry said:
Horse meat is cheaper than beef so buying horse meat and selling beef increases the margins.
not so sure. As far as I've understood clean horsemeat is more expensive than clean beef. The only advantage I can see in putting the horsemeat in there is to get ridd of medical waste.
The Anglo Saxon culture doesn't accept horse meat (or rabbit for that matter), so that is the reason for the scandal in the UK and other countries...
in germany the scandal is more about the medicins + medical waste these horses possibly have been fed with.
Cobblestones said:
this indeed.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Le breton said:
These horses appear to come from Rumania where it's now illegal for horse-drawn carriages to use the main roads (never mind the autoroutes :D)

In years past horsemeat in France and Switzerland came mostly, as far as I know, from Poland)

That just means two things. First the horsemeat obviously came from free-range horses and second Romania>>US when it comes to traffic laws.

TRENDING THREADS