• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A new drug: the Clinic itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Eagled-eyed posters in this subforum may have noticed a particular brand of poster lurking around the Clinic recently. While they were a dying breed with the demise of Lance, the denier has made a comeback. They offer little to any discussion save to enter it with the sole purpose of stating that the discussion should not be had in the first place and rarely venture from beyond the realms of threads involving their favoured athletes.

Their postcounts start off small. Maybe they create an account just to reply to one specific post that they feel strongly about. Some had written that their hero had doped and they wanted - as is their right - to set the record straight. Then people start replying to their posts - they can't leave them unanswered, so their reply back.

Before they know it, they are an active participant in the thread. They find themselves looking up other similar threads - perhaps they even venture into the sunny world of "Professional Road Racing" to comment in the threads formerly known as appreciation threads of their favourite riders. This is all good "clean" fun.

However, soon this can turn into an addiction. They find themselves wanting more and more to check to make sure no slight on their rider goes undeflected, and that no stone is left turned over. Even though the Clinic hurts them, they just keep coming back. They hate what they read, but they just can't stop. We need to help these posters find their inner peace.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
The more extreme examples can be found in threads about their favourite nation or cycling team, screaming for evidence when allegations about doping are raised, only to be seen in the Olympics threads happily raising unsubstantiated allegations about doping when a member of a rival nation's team wins an event. Give them credit, that takes a certain level of crazy.

pedaling squares said:
The more extreme examples can be found in threads about their favourite nation or cycling team, screaming for evidence when allegations about doping are raised, only to be seen in the Olympics threads happily raising unsubstantiated allegations about doping when a member of a rival nation's team wins an event. Give them credit, that takes a certain level of crazy.

I follow the Inspector Clouseau method.

"I believe everything. And l believe nothing. I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one. I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before you know it, the case is solved!"

Although a lot of time and effort in reaching the conclusion that is inevitably reached in all cycling cases can be saved if they are simply declared guilty at the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.