• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A New Life

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I've recently decided to make a pretty radical change in my life. Just after xmas I'm planning to head south into the US, visit my favorite city(New York) then start slowly travelling south through Mexico, Central America and wherever the @#*! else I feel like going. The $ is tight and there's more than a little of blind-folded jump off a cliff about this. But I need to do it, to have some adventure in my life before it's too late. I've been thinking that finding some work or volunteering in South/Central America would be a great way to enhance the experience and do some good but I'm not having a lot of luck. If anyone out there can offer some leads, tips, suggestions, scathing abuse, or just some great hidden places to see, whatever, I'd like to hear it. Thanks folks.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I commend you for the life change, and volunteering is one of those feel good things than can't be denied. As far as seeing South America, why stop at Central, go all the way South to Argentina and see the Patagonia. One of the most beautiful places on this earth. Good luck, eh.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Studying/Volunteering in Ecuador:

http://www.yaa-ecuador.com/en/Welcome.html

"Whether you are planning to learn Spanish, participate in volunteer service or internships,

work or travel, we will help organize your stay. We also provide an on-site, local coordinator, who is available to assist with the challenges of adjusting to a new country and culture, and help you to immediately feel comfortable in your new surroundings."

Don't know if this corresponds to what you expect, it seems to be an organized program and I don't know how much it costs.

Good luck though, take your bike with you!

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I get visitors every couple of months on their way to South America by bicycle through a group called Warmshowers which is for cycle tourists. There is also a group called Couchsurfing which can help find places to stay for other types of travelers. They both have hosts all over the world. If you get to Baja stop on by.

you didn't say how you would be traveling but I could put you in touch with others who have passed thru on their way to SA. Most are doing Alaska to Argentina.

Happy Trails

A

Anonymous

I spent the better part of my 20's traveling, and can tell you that you will never regret what you are about to do. It will be difficult in many ways, and you will probably find that it changes you in ways that you would not have expected. Most people live to manage their lives so that they are predictable and safe. That is fine as doing something like raising a family is easier under such conditions. However, walking away is an experience I wish more people would engage in.

Here is a resource for free and inexpensive volunteer opportunities in Central and South America: http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net/ Check out everything thoroughly obviously. Or you could just go, throw away having a plan and live every day for what it is and where it leads you.

Good luck. I hope your journey is amazing. If you get the chance in Chile, Argentina, or Peru, buy your way onto some type of ship going to Antarctica. I have a friend who stowed away on a Peruvian military ship for a fairly cheap bribe. Said it was amazing.

Yes, do this. I did it for 2 years in my 20's in the italian Alps writing climbing articles, then in my 30's spent a year volunteering and then in my 40's spent 2 years on a personal sabbatical travelling in Souoth America writing. Now in my 50's I am getting ready to sell out and move to Mexico. If you buzz through Sandy Eggo to visit Krebs in Baja, stop by.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Thank you!

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this thing. I find myself, several times a day, breaking out into fits of giddy and worryingly effeminate giggling. Except for a few years in the early 80's I've lived a very safe, routine life. So there's just no way to overstate what a massive adventure this is for me. TFF thanks for the tip about Antarctica. I've heard that to go there officially is very very tough but I'm not above a little bribery.
One last thing- I'm probably the last person on earth who doesn't have a facebook page but I will definitely set one up to post photos and updates of the trip for my family and of course, anyone on this forum(except BPC of course):p

May 6, 2009
Visit site
marinoni said:
Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this thing. I find myself, several times a day, breaking out into fits of giddy and worryingly effeminate giggling. Except for a few years in the early 80's I've lived a very safe, routine life. So there's just no way to overstate what a massive adventure this is for me. TFF thanks for the tip about Antarctica. I've heard that to go there officially is very very tough but I'm not above a little bribery.
One last thing- I'm probably the last person on earth who doesn't have a facebook page but I will definitely set one up to post photos and updates of the trip for my family and of course, anyone on this forum(except BPC of course):p

Is it just South America you have plans for? As for the facebook thing, set one up, on another forum I'm at (different sport), a load of us are all FB friends etc.

TRENDING THREADS