• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A note for those selling used bikes on eBay, etc

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Buyer beware. a frame 3 years old is worth what you can get for it and who wants it enough.

I note used frames rarely sell for more $200 - $800. even top of range.

I think it depends on 4 aspects: Brand, year's model, parts & most of all the current condition. I have a friend who sold his bike (2 year's old model) and made a couple hundred dollars more than he paid originally-the reason? perfect condition & upgrades.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It really depends on the bike. I've seen 20 year old Klein mountain bikes in good condition sell for north of three grand only because they have three-color fades or a bunch of Grafton components, while I couldn't get $200 for the custom Davidson (a much nicer bike) that I just sold. Here's a tip: Include Europe in the areas you'll ship to. The Euro is still a lot stronger than the US dollar, and as a result there are plenty of crazy Germans and Austrians that will pay a lot more than US buyers. ;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I say the same thing for bikes sold in stores! Who would pay $3K for anything!

E-Bay is where you can wheel and deal, and everyone wants top dollar for anything, that's the whole point now isn't it? Who won't take $3K for a $300 frame? Some people need a refresher course in supply, demand, cheapskates and highway robbery. Most of us have learned this and know how to work E-bay, the rest, well they tend to make E-bay a comedy listing site at times, especially post bid termination.

As for that Yellow Trek, I say sign it with a certain someone's signature and it will sell even in that state!

TRENDING THREADS