• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A. Schleck out of the Tour

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Despite all the dogpiling on Andy, the Tour just got waaaaaay worse, as one of the only genuine GC candidates who the TT guys might actually worry about in the mountains, is now gone.

Yep this is good news for wiggo also, Andy Schleck causing reactions and cracking riders was a big hope for me.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Or it could give a bit of a confidence boost to those climbers that aren't as strong as Schleck. Such as Other Schleck, Gesink, Sanchez, VDB, Rolland; they may now attack where before they wouldn't. Impossible to predict how this changes anything.

hatcher said:
Or it could give a bit of a confidence boost to those climbers that aren't as strong as Schleck. Such as Other Schleck, Gesink, Sanchez, VDB, Rolland; they may now attack where before they wouldn't. Impossible to predict how this changes anything.

Not to mention the pressure at RS is now on Frank and he´s been looking pretty good leading up to the tdf. If he cracks/abandons for whatever reason the Vuelta will be a RS pileup with Horner & bros Schleck desperate for results. Could be fun with Contador on the rampage.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
This is the magic opportunity for The Hog to get Horner on the TdF squad and please a few Yankees. The Hog has lots of momentum built up for some more bad decisions though!

I wonder what Becca's opinion of the project is right now.

I'd say politically its a good move to have a Yank on the roster with a Yankee Corporate Logo fronting so yea it would be opportunity.
\
but as someone said, Johan's reasoning behind the decision and the timing of andy's injury put his pride ahead of logic

Becca is probably fielding collect calls from Fort Worth as we type.

The start of the Vuelta is August 18. If Andy was starting from his current form, he would be in great shape to peak for the Vuelta. According to the CN article, however, he can't even sit on his bike until the second or third week of July.

Just days ago, he was blaming his poor form in the Dauphine on missing three days of training due to a knee injury in May. How will he miss 4 - 6 weeks and recover in time to beat a motivated Contador in the Vuelta? Is he counting on the first 2 weeks to ride himself into form?

If he truly proves good enough to win the Vuelta, I would guess that his injury, while real, isn't as serious as reported.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
panache said:
The start of the Vuelta is August 18. If Andy was starting from his current form, he would be in great shape to peak for the Vuelta. According to the CN article, however, he can't even sit on his bike until the second or third week of July.

Just days ago, he was blaming his poor form in the Dauphine on missing three days of training due to a knee injury in May. How will he miss 4 - 6 weeks and recover in time to beat a motivated Contador in the Vuelta? Is he counting on the first 2 weeks to ride himself into form?

If he truly proves good enough to win the Vuelta, I would guess that his injury, while real, isn't as serious as reported.

I predict he will skip the Vuelta and ride the Colorado stage race (whatever we're calling it now) because it's not as hard--but more importantly, so he can feel some love from (and show the RadioShak logo to) all the U.S. fans who will turn out in droves to see him because he's a gifted climber...and because he speaks English and looks like "one of us." Oh, and his name is "Andy," which sounds American.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Andy's "world fell apart" when he heard the news. :rolleyes: Drama queen.

Could you say that those news gave him... butthurt???

austin_powers_dr_evil.jpg

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Good Question- Sadly he'll get either left overs of the Tour-or riders not up to the task. He's screwed either way...
Fuglsang, Horner and Monfort have all expressed their desire to race the Tour and that is more climbing strength than any other team will be able to field
Desperate Moments said:
I predict he will skip the Vuelta and ride the Colorado stage race (whatever we're calling it now) because it's not as hard--but more importantly, so he can feel some love from (and show the RadioShak logo to) all the U.S. fans who will turn out in droves to see him because he's a gifted climber...and because he speaks English and looks like "one of us." Oh, and his name is "Andy," which sounds American.
Its not really his choice but his managers.
I have a feeling JB maybe a bit fed up with him and tell him to "do what he is told or no more racing full stop".

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
2007 Giro and the 2010 Vuelta (however briefly).

:confused:
My point was to show that he does have that psychological capability but why did you not include the Tour results? There is certainly no difference between the mental requirements for the Tour and for other races.

Froome19 said:
Fuglsang, Horner and Monfort have all expressed their desire to race the Tour and that is more climbing strength than any other team will be able to field

Its not really his choice but his managers.
I have a feeling JB maybe a bit fed up with him and tell him to "do what he is told or no more racing full stop".

Andy doing "what he is told" led him to zero results in Ardennes (Sarthe, seriously?) and he was in worse form than usual in early June.

Eusebio Kino

BANNED
May 28, 2012
Visit site
Desperate Moments said:

If Andy recovers and finds his form, he should compete against Alberto in La Vuelta. Colorado is not a prestigious race. I would imagine that Andys' bosses will tell him that. European team and all that, RSNT.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:
cyclingweekly "...if it's Wiggins, or my brother Frank who wins the Tour, they're lucky because I'm not standing there."

He actually said the exact opposite but that's okay, I'm sure this is how you and many others will remember it. I look forward to this arguement coming up next season ...

On the bright side I hope this means Gallopin's chances of making the team are rising!

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
He actually said the exact opposite but that's okay, I'm sure this is how you and many others will remember it. I look forward to this arguement coming up next season ...

Probably ;)
Just like the ever present "Franky boy caused the crash on Stage Three of the 2010 tour and cost Contador the time" error.

Ah, well.
Might as well take a screenshot of the actual quote with timestamp ;) Just to shove it down when it comes up.

Froome19 said:
:confused:
My point was to show that he does have that psychological capability but why did you not include the Tour results? There is certainly no difference between the mental requirements for the Tour and for other races.

I misunderstood your post apparently or the original context by which your response was motivated.:eek: I meant only to highlight that Andy had performed in other grand tours although since 2008 he can't seem to be motivated to perform at a decent level or even participate in any unless it's the Tour, even if it is in support of his brother (Vuelta 2010).

Part of the mental requirements is being properly motivated, which is an issue that seems to be a problem for Andy since 2008 unless the event meets his personal standards of being worthy of his efforts.

TRENDING THREADS