• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A Sherwen howler .........

A

Anonymous

From this mornings adulation of his Lanceness ............

"even Lance Armstrong would admit that Eddy Merckx was one of the greatest cyclists ever ......."

Even ???

Pull your head out Paul my boy, pull your head out.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
You are right. that should be even Eddy Merckx would admit that Lance Armstrong was the greatest cyclists ever..."

I dont know how he could have stuffed up like that.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
-myra- said:
From this mornings adulation of his Lanceness ............

"even Lance Armstrong would admit that Eddy Merckx was one of the greatest cyclists ever ......."

Even ???

Pull your head out Paul my boy, pull your head out.

I made the mistake of watching the ITV4 coverage with phil and paul yesterday and it started to make me feel ill..

The Adulation is too much.. Nauseating.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Are you guys going to whine and complain about VS. ball licking for 3 weeks or are you going to do the logical thing and turn down the volume?

A

Anonymous

frizzlefry said:
Are you guys going to whine and complain about VS. ball licking for 3 weeks or are you going to do the logical thing and turn down the volume?

Quite possibly, yes.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
frizzlefry said:

Yes. gave up on it after a day and now listening to tennis on the radio with cycling on the TV.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
I made the mistake of watching the ITV4 coverage with phil and paul yesterday and it started to make me feel ill..

The Adulation is too much.. Nauseating.

Well itv4 takes Phill&Paul off the american feed, we then have american announcers9Bob Roll and an idiot) on the prime time here in the U.S untill last 3 KMs. Yesterday the idiot said David millar has won 3 TDF stages all in T.Ts From bad to worse !!!

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
WonderLance said:
You are right. that should be even Eddy Merckx would admit that Lance Armstrong was the greatest cyclists ever..."

your joking i assume. you know the history of eddy merckx right? easily the best there has ever been.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'd laugh my *** off if Armstrong finishes 10th on the first mountain stage and losing time to virtually everyone.
What would their reaction be?

Wouldn't be a big deal, most on here said he wouldn't even start the TdF.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Well itv4 takes Phill&Paul off the american feed, we then have american announcers9Bob Roll and an idiot) on the prime time here in the U.S untill last 3 KMs. Yesterday the idiot said David millar has won 3 TDF stages all in T.Ts From bad to worse !!!

Oh come on, they were going to have Lance's friend Ben Stiller in the booth with Bob Roll last night. What more could you ask for? :p

I don't watch at night because Bobke gives me the creeps, in addition to being a terrible commentator.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Do you think Roll, Sherwen and Liggett notice how pathetic they've become?

I mean... even to fans... there's a certain a$$-kissing you can allow yourself before you hit the wall and notice that you're someone else's bítch.

I remember watching Ligget's videos on past Tour winners and always though he was both, a very knowledgeable comentator and, best of all, neutral. His fanboy attitude has destroyed all the work he's done throughout these years IMO.

A

Anonymous

At the end of the stage today Phil commented on Lance, where he finished and that he came through the melee unscathed.

Then he commented on Cancellera, noted that he was across the line and seemed fine.

Then changed the subject.

No comment on anyone else.

And, one of my fears has materialized, already.

There were 4 little jerseys across the bottom of the screen all day.

Yellow
Green
Polka Dot

and........

RS for where Lancie-poo is.

And Phil and Paul kept pointing it out.

Pathetic.

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'd laugh my *** off if Armstrong finishes 10th on the first mountain stage and losing time to virtually everyone.

well clearly the other 9 are doping and hes clean which is a travesty for the sport..

-myra- said:

You got the quote wrong. Paul said, at 7:35:46 PDT:

"even Lance Armstrong will admit that... ahh... Eddy Merckx is the greatest cyclist of all times..."

The even now makes sense in this context.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I've written emails to versus, I'm sure to deaf ears, to let them know how much the Paul/Phil commentary has degraded. It's interesting since I personally started noticing a few years ago, before LA's comeback how really second rate they had become in their commentary. Unfortunately, I record my tour stages on DVR and have no other option other than watch versus's feed. What's more unfortunate is that the entire stage today for me, as will most stages, was reduced to 10 minutes plus the last 6 kms, about 20 min total, as I have gotten to the point where I just cannot bear listening to those guys. It disappoints me that it's the only real viable choice for me to watch the tour.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how we can let versus know how so many of us feel?

Unfortunately, I would venture a guess that those of us that really dislike the commentary and it's angles are by far the minority as a percentage of viewers in the USA.
The entire complex that it has become has placed the advertising revenue and the money steamship first and foremost for anyone at versus to look through any other lens in order to maintain any quality tv or journalism. Is there any other means that we can utilize to avoid and not patronize any affiliated business/parent company related to the above entities and to let them know how we feel?

A

Anonymous

Hitchey said:
I've written emails to versus, I'm sure to deaf ears, to let them know how much the Paul/Phil commentary has degraded. It's interesting since I personally started noticing a few years ago, before LA's comeback how really second rate they had become in their commentary. Unfortunately, I record my tour stages on DVR and have no other option other than watch versus's feed. What's more unfortunate is that the entire stage today for me, as will most stages, was reduced to 10 minutes plus the last 6 kms, about 20 min total, as I have gotten to the point where I just cannot bear listening to those guys. It disappoints me that it's the only real viable choice for me to watch the tour.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how we can let versus know how so many of us feel?

Unfortunately, I would venture a guess that those of us that really dislike the commentary and it's angles are by far the minority as a percentage of viewers in the USA.
The entire complex that it has become has placed the advertising revenue and the money steamship first and foremost for anyone at versus to look through any other lens in order to maintain any quality tv or journalism. Is there any other means that we can utilize to avoid and not patronize any affiliated business/parent company related to the above entities and to let them know how we feel?

I will tell you this.

In Canada, we exactly ONE race on TV in the course of the year - one.

The TdF - courtesy of Phil and Paul.

I expect that next year will be a pale imitation of this year's coverage - with a lot of " that isn't the way Lance would have done it" type commentary and the following year we will have no TV coverage at all.

What I think is sad is that Vs over the last 2 or 3 years could have been trying to expand the viewer base / viewer interest by trying to engage people in the stories of other riders than Lance.

Instead they have gone the other way and turned into the all-Lance, all the time station.

I don't know how that figures to maximize their advertising revenue in the short term, but in the post-Lance world they will be left with no stories at all. And the viewers that should have been turned into cycling fans will simply drift away as Vs become ever more marginal. having been served up a menu of nothing over the years but - Lance.

You can only re-broadcast stories about the Lance years for so long.

A tremendous opportunity squandered and ultimately the story will be " Americans just didn't take to cycling".

A

Anonymous

Dekker_Tifosi said:

well my response to that was that phil and paul would claim something suspicious about the 9 in front, and that it was a travesty that a rider such as armstrong was being beaten by them..

actually.. **** it, this is what i said

well clearly the other 9 are doping and hes clean which is a travesty for the sport..
< which is one thing they could possibly say

For that i have received a warning that I have discussed doping outside of the clinic and had the rules nicely explained to me reminding me to abide by forum rules.

all i can say is 180mm crank, the warning is pathetic, and as far as telling me the rules.. you patronising ****!

A

Anonymous

WonderLance said:

soooo right wonderlance...he took those 5 seconds from A.C and I raised my fist in the air...First blood is what Phil and Paul told me and my god I believe it!:)

A

Anonymous

Versus has it sealed up via commercials and products endorsed by Lance...Phil and Paul and Slob shooting commentary promoting Lance promoting commercials who are promoting Vrs...

Perfect circle really...I mean, who on earth could have any sorta problem with a perfect self-feeding circle?

A

Anonymous

Señor_Contador said:
Do you think Roll, Sherwen and Liggett notice how pathetic they've become?

I mean... even to fans... there's a certain a$$-kissing you can allow yourself before you hit the wall and notice that you're someone else's bítch.

I remember watching Ligget's videos on past Tour winners and always though he was both, a very knowledgeable comentator and, best of all, neutral. His fanboy attitude has destroyed all the work he's done throughout these years IMO.

My feeling is that Phil is in the early stages of dementia or alzheimers actually...he always calls it wrong on small matters like who is who and Paul is there to sorta straighten him out...plus and as well, I think it is hard to see clearly when you have your head buried so far up one rider's a** that your commentary buddy can't find your shoulders anymore...and via Paul, he just needs to go back to his diamond plantation and focus on real money...

A

Anonymous

Beech Mtn said:
Oh come on, they were going to have Lance's friend Ben Stiller in the booth with Bob Roll last night. What more could you ask for? :p

I don't watch at night because Bobke gives me the creeps, in addition to being a terrible commentator.

what do you mean here? Are you actually saying you don't think Ben Stiller adds alot to the coverage? You are clearly not a real fan...:mad:

TRENDING THREADS