• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A song of ice and fire

The Hitch said:
I dont know. I think 2015 maybe. Grrm said it wouldn't take as long and apparently he wrote most of ADWD right before it was published, he had been doing other stuff the rest of the time.
somehow I don't really trust Martin when he talks about times :eek:
Only hope is that he has at least to keep up with the TV series.

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Will Arya Stark take revenge for house starks? Do you have any theories on what she will be or turn out to be?

Her two younger brothers live as well. So I don't think that she'll be the one who will take in the end revenge for house Stark. On the other hand Arya has huge admiration for what the Targaryens did in the past, Aegon Rhaenys and Visenya, so it would be a nice turn in the story if Arya makes an alliance with Daenerys, if Daenerys cross the Narrow Sea with her dragons and Arya is still alive till then.:D

I'm big fan of GoT.

The Hitch said:
Can't see it. She is hidden away on some ninja course which takes years to complete while all her enemies have far bigger fish to fry.

Death isnt revenge in ASOIAF anyway.
I don't think she's going to finish her training. She's already got in trouble for using her abilities as she fancies and not as etiquette demands.

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Only the first book?

Noooo.. :) I have read all five books and watched all threes seasons of the series. I just wrote GoT because most people don't know that the books are tittled A Song of Ice and Fire because they haven't read the books but watched only the series.

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
I take it s/he meant the TV series. In which case this thread might get full of spoilers...

The series are a little bit different than the books and we don't know if the producers will keep the exact story line of the books on the series. So I don't think that is here any danger to spoil something unless we talk about the books and someone is still reading.

alitogata said:
The series are a little bit different than the books and we don't know if the producers will keep the exact story line of the books on the series. So I don't think that is here any danger to spoil something unless we talk about the books and someone is still reading.
the major events of the series are just like the books. Some things are changed but there's the possibility of spoilers for sure. Just imagine how many people got spoiled about the red wedding before this year. :D

Eshnar said:
the major events of the series are just like the books. Some things are changed but there's the possibility of spoilers for sure. Just imagine how many people got spoiled about the red wedding before this year. :D
I'm more worried about potential spoilers for us readers. Like Jeyne Westerling and Gendry not playing any further roles in the books.

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:

Hmmm .. I'm not sure that they got absolutely spoiled because we must not forget that there are already two wikis online so anyone can have a summary of the story ( or just a little bit of summary.. :p:rolleyes: :D.. I think that most of the series fans had a look on the wikis to see what is going to happen next.. ha ha ha )

alitogata said:
Noooo.. :) I have read all five books and watched all threes seasons of the series. I just wrote GoT because most people don't know that the books are tittled A Song of Ice and Fire because they haven't read the books but watched only the series.

People who have made the effort to actually read the books, should not have to cater at every turn to a hollywood's desperate attempt to cash in on it, and especially not to the illiterate morons who's tiny brains can't handle anything that isn't physically demonstrated to them in condensed and greatly simplified form through television.

Its called A Song of Ice and Fire and not Game of Thrones.

That's unfair. People who watch the show might simply not be into that kind of thing enough to devote substantially longer amounts of time to read the books, but some of them will be reading other stuff instead - including things that would be considered more highbrow or whatever.

i wasnt being entirely serious and yes 1 or 2 people may have other reasons but everyone i have come accross who doesn't read the books does so because they generally don't read books and there is a large number of people who haven't read the books who go even further and urge people not to read the books because it will "take away from the experience" of seeing some overpaid actor who doesn't look anything like the actual character attempt to act some of the scenes in a very simplified manner, aimed at a dumber audience.

Either way the point stands, as with LOTR, the franchise is about the books, not the johnny come lately tv series and its the tv only viewers who should be bending down to acknowledge the books and NOT the other way around.

The Hitch said:
People who have made the effort to actually read the books, should not have to cater at every turn to a hollywood's desperate attempt to cash in on it, and especially not to the illiterate morons who's tiny brains can't handle anything that isn't physically demonstrated to them in condensed and greatly simplified form through television.

Don't be such a boring little snob.

The books are good page turners, but terrible literature, so very few people would have their 'tiny brains' perplexed by it.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Silly Ignorant Me

Here I thought it was about Robert Frost!

Fire and Ice
By Robert Frost
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

.. only to find out its TV and fantasy lit.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
i wasnt being entirely serious and yes 1 or 2 people may have other reasons but everyone i have come accross who doesn't read the books does so because they generally don't read books and there is a large number of people who haven't read the books who go even further and urge people not to read the books because it will "take away from the experience" of seeing some overpaid actor who doesn't look anything like the actual character attempt to act some of the scenes in a very simplified manner, aimed at a dumber audience.

Either way the point stands, as with LOTR, the franchise is about the books, not the johnny come lately tv series and its the tv only viewers who should be bending down to acknowledge the books and NOT the other way around.

I haven't read the books and don't plan to, but I read at least one book every couple of weeks. I don't plan to read these books, despite thoroughly enjoying the TV series, because it is not the type of genre that I typically enjoy reading and I have two piles of books next to my bed waiting to be read. Having said that, my wife has read some of the books and she fills me in on the details missed or added in the TV series that I otherwise would not have known about. I'm not sure if this detracts from the TV series in anyway because it is still a very engaging story on the screen.

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:

You exaggerate now...:)

These books is not that hardcore literature in order to call those who haven't read them illiterate morons and I don't have any problem to make easier for anyone who watched just the series to understand what are we talking about.

ETA I don't own a TV set..

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Don't be such a boring little snob.

The books are good page turners, but terrible literature, so very few people would have their 'tiny brains' perplexed by it.
True, doesn't mean that those who take the effort to read them and learn the whole background should have to cater to the TV only crowd. A song of ice and fire isn't high literature but it's well developed, reads well and sucks you in.

IMO it's so likeable largely because it isn't toned down or censored and each and every character (with the possible exception of Ned Stark) has a moral grey area and is capable of anything when required. This series has flawed heroes, as well as a few villains with some redeemable qualities, that makes it rather unique for it's field.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts