• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

about seatposts and setback !?!?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm wondering what is the "standard" or most common setback on seatpost. Not every manufacturer gives this info but with bike geometries being so different from one bike to another, I curious to know if someone has a list on that subject. Thanks!

Go Baby Go said:
Hi everyone, I'm wondering what is the "standard" or most common setback on seatpost. Not every manufacturer gives this info but with bike geometries being so different from one bike to another, I curious to know if someone has a list on that subject. Thanks!

The traditional method is to use the saddle position that will place your knee over the pedal spindle when the crank is in the three O'Clock position. Adjust from there.

There is some criticism of this method because it does not take into account shoe size, tibia length, etc.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I've relied on this traditional method and I'm not convinced it works for me... if I try to put my knee close to the pedal spindle it feels like if I'm sitting right over the BB: I can't find comfort there!! So I'm looking for a new seatpost since -to the best of my comprehension- the one I have has only 22mm setback. I think FSA's K-force could be a good option to go further back but I'm wondering what could be other valid options.
Thanks!

Go Baby Go said:
I've relied on this traditional method and I'm not convinced it works for me... if I try to put my knee close to the pedal spindle it feels like if I'm sitting right over the BB: I can't find comfort there!! So I'm looking for a new seatpost since -to the best of my comprehension- the one I have has only 22mm setback. I think FSA's K-force could be a good option to go further back but I'm wondering what could be other valid options.
Thanks!

I prefer a position that is further back. I sort of use the Lemond method, which is jack the seat post up and slam the saddle back on the rails. If I get too forward then I do not feel I have as much power.

On the web there is a long paper by Keith Bontrager about KOPS and why it should not be relied on. You can probably google it.

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
KOP theory

Based on my extensive experiences messing with my position, I have a theory about KOP: I think it IS true . . . BUT it is the knee over pedal WHILE PEDALING, and NOT necessarily with the foot flat, while stationary. (I took a video while pedaling, and, while checking frame by frame, noticed that @ the 3 o'clock position my heel would drop . . . which brings the knee back. And explains (?) why I need the seat on the forward side.) So, to be KOP (pedaling) I must actually be forward of KOP (static). Does this make any sense? (And if you pedal heel up, you need the seat further back to be KOP while pedaling.)

TRENDING THREADS