• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AC = Alberto Contador

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ex-pro-arrested-in-dope-ring-sting-in-spain

Police in the Spanish city of Murcia have broken up a doping ring that had been both producing and distributing products including plasma, clenbuterol, testosterone and anabolic steroids. Among the four people arrested by police following a year-long investigation was former pro rider José Luis Martínez.

Has there ever been a case of a rider having a positive test for clenbuterol?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I like the title of this thread. It's unambiguous, which is good in case any journalist should have any doubts about those initials and come in here to inquire.

I'd be pleased to see Spanish newspapers pick up this issue again.
The silence in the Spanish press wrt Contador is jawdropping.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
This has been around for years!? Unbelievable that there was ever any discussion as to whether AC was Contador or Colom. We've got a document concerning the 2005 TdF, with 9 initials that perfectly match the 2005 TdF squad of Liberty Seguros. Gee, this is a tough one to crack... :rolleyes:

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Tyler'sTwin said:
This has been around for years!? Unbelievable that there was ever any discussion as to whether AC was Contador or Colom. We've got a document concerning the 2005 TdF, with 9 initials that perfectly match the 2005 TdF squad of Liberty Seguros. Gee, this is a tough one to crack... :rolleyes:

even aldirto admits the initials were his:

“I was on the wrong team at the wrong time. My name was on this infamous list, but one week later, the UCI had more time to examine the documents and I was taken off. My relation with Puerto was annulled,” Contador said. “I was cleared of any link with the scandal.”

“I have no reservations about Alberto,” Bruyneel said. “The UCI admitted they made a mistake by including Alberto in this case. It’s a whole other story for Alberto.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2007...t-alberto-contador-and-operacion-puerto_12964

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
from the same article:

The first reference to Contador is mentioned on a list of then-Liberty Seguros teammates (spelling mistakes remain as is) that appear on a document later to identified as a list of training schedules for members of the team:

En el documento 3 se observan marcados de distinta forma los nombres de los corredores: Dariuz BARANOWSKY; Josefa BELOKI; Ginpaolo CARUSO; Alberto CONTADOR; Allan DAVIS; David ETXEBARRÍA; Igor GONZÁLEZ DE GALDEANO; Roberto HERAS; Jorg JAKSCHE; Isidro NOZAL; Sergio PAULINHO; Nuno RIBEIRO; Luis León SÁNCHEZ; Michele SCARPONI; Marcos SERRANO y Ángel VICIOSO.

The second reference includes initials of riders’ name that appeared on another training document:

En el reverso del documento 31 se localizan unas anotaciones manuscritas con el título “INDIVIDUALIZACIÓN” en el que se identifican a distintos corredores del equipo LIBERTY-SEGUROS WÜRTH por sus iniciales: R. H. (Roberto HERAS), M. S. (Marcos SERRANO), J. B. (Joseba BELOKI), I. G. (Igor GONZÁLEZ), A. V. (Ángel VICIOSO), J. J. (Jorg JAKSCHE), A. D. (Alan DAVIS), L. (sin identificar), A. C. (Alberto CONTADOR) .

Clerc clearly had some wool pulled over his eyes:
“He was part of the dossier at first, but after closer review, he was rightly removed,” said ASO president Patrice Clerc before Thursday’s start. “His name was mentioned in taped phone conversations, but the references were related to sporting results. In no instance could his name be linked as a client of Fuentes or Operación Puerto, so his name was excluded.”

All this comes down to whatever standard of proof obtains or what level of evidence is insisted upon.

Is AC unfairly benefitting from criminal standards being applied to an essentially civil-type case?

Tyler'sTwin said:

It's been cracked by the clinicians. Just like with every other aspect of doping in the sport, it's taking a bit of time for the official story to catch up.

WinterRider said:
For those of us who can't, and don't think much of google translate, could you give us the highlights?
[...] a blue folder was found, which contained documents numbered consecutively from 3 to 36 [...] [Literal quote from the Guardia Civil dossier:] "Document no. 3 contains the names of the riders: Dariuz BARANOWSKI; Joseba BELOKI; Gianpaolo CARUSO; Alberto CONTADOR; Allan DAVIS; David ETXEBARRÍA; Igor GONZÁLEZ DE GALDEANO; Roberto HERAS; Jörg JAKSCHE; Isidro NOZAL; Sergio PAULINHO; Nuno RIBEIRO; Luis León SÁNCHEZ; Michele SCARPONI; Marcos SERRANO and Ángel VICIOSO"

[...] files 3-36=33 [sic] different documents. Or that's what we think. But lo and behold, the report of the Guardia Civil starts to note info from the documents... starting with no. 8 and only up to no. 29! "They are calendars from 2005 for each one of the LIBERTY riders with the races each rider would take part in and, for some of them, several handwritten annotations." Excuse me, for each one? Not for all of those who are identified in document no. 3, nope, just for those who didn't have a godfather to save them: doc. 8, Vicioso; doc. 9, Nozal; doc. 10, Heras; doc. 11, Andrle; doc. 12, MISSING; doc. 13, the amateurs (hence "AMA"); doc. 14, Hruska; doc. 15, Jesús Hernández; doc. 16, Igor [...]; docs. 17-22 MISSING; doc. 23, Allan Davis; doc. 24, Jaksche; doc. 25, MISSING; doc. 26, Scarponi; doc. 27, Etxebarría; doc. 28, Beloki; doc. 29, Igor for the second time; doc. 30 MISSING; doc. 31, an individualized plan for the Tour, published by [Spanish journalist Carlos] Arribas.

Later on, documents no. 53-61 and 72-75 are mentioned (judging from their numbering it wouldnt' seem they were in the same folder), in which they take jabs at no 55 (Caruso) and 58 (Koldo Gil), but what exactly the rest of those documents contain, we do not know. Now, let's do a very simple arithmetic operation: take the riders mentioned in document no. 3 and substract those that you can actually find in the folder of mentioned riders afterwards. Who's left? Baranowski (retired), Ribeiro (back in Portugal; tripped over the wire for EPO again), Serrano (plenty of documents incriminating him in Eufemiano's chest already) and ooooooh, woe is me! Paulinho, Contador and Luis León Sánchez.

Where's their schedules? Where's their individualized files? Maybe in doc. no. 4 and doc. no. 7? Nah, those might be loose sheets, the kind people always leave as the first few pages in a folder. It's a lot more interesting to wonder why doc. no. 12 isn't there; or doc. 17-22; or doc. 25; or maybe doc. 32-36, although being at the end of the folder these might be loose papers too. OK. So the Guardia Civil finds a folder with the Liberty calendars, including a basic pattern with all riders, and it turns out the files of the youngest ones are missing, but their gap in the series is still there.

[…]

hrotha said:
[...]Excuse me, for each one? Not for all of those who are identified in document no. 3, nope, just for those who didn't have a godfather to save them: doc. 8, Vicioso; doc. 9, Nozal; doc. 10, Heras; doc. 11, Andrle; doc. 12, MISSING; doc. 13, the amateurs (hence "AMA"); doc. 14, Hruska; doc. 15, Jesús Hernández; doc. 16, Igor [...]; docs. 17-22 MISSING; doc. 23, Allan Davis; doc. 24, Jaksche; doc. 25, MISSING; doc. 26, Scarponi; doc. 27, Etxebarría; doc. 28, Beloki; doc. 29, Igor for the second time; doc. 30 MISSING; doc. 31, an individualized plan for the Tour, published by [Spanish journalist Carlos] Arribas.
Where's their schedules? Where's their individualized files? Maybe in doc. no. 4 and doc. no. 7? Nah, those might be loose sheets, the kind people always leave as the first few pages in a folder. It's a lot more interesting to wonder why doc. no. 12 isn't there; or doc. 17-22; or doc. 25; or maybe doc. 32-36, although being at the end of the folder these might be loose papers too. OK. So the Guardia Civil finds a folder with the Liberty calendars, including a basic pattern with all riders, and it turns out the files of the youngest ones are missing, but their gap in the series is still there.
[…]

"godfather to save them" can't help laughing since I read that !
Who did protect AC, that's a huge mystery...

By the way, as you seem to know very well the Puerto files, would you know where to find doc n 75-76, supposed to be Hamilton's 2004 schedules. I found n 125 for year 2003 which is quite impressive and not totally consistent with what he wrote in his book, but not n 75-76. I still wonder if Hamilton told everything, there are weird things in his 2003 schedule like some R' instead of R (blood re-infusions) which could mean re-infusion of another person blood (TH said he never did that). In this doc (n125), if you count the BBs, there are more infusions than extractions, which is not possible unless you store frozen blood (TH said he did this only in 2004)
No need to say I love that kind of clue !

Gregga said:
"godfather to save them" can't help laughing since I read that !
Who did protect AC, that's a huge mystery...

By the way, as you seem to know very well the Puerto files, would you know where to find doc n 75-76, supposed to be Hamilton's 2004 schedules. I found n 125 for year 2003 which is quite impressive and not totally consistent with what he wrote in his book, but not n 75-76. I still wonder if Hamilton told everything, there are weird things in his 2003 schedule like some R' instead of R (blood re-infusions) which could mean re-infusion of another person blood (TH said he never did that). In this doc (n125), if you count the BBs, there are more infusions than extractions, which is not possible unless you store frozen blood (TH said he did this only in 2004)
No need to say I love that kind of clue !
The quantity of homologous blood found was too small to be result of a full unit (hence the vanishing twin defense). Contamination is much more probable.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Who didn´t dope...
It´s amazing if this comes to a surprise for anybody, but I doubt it.
But honestly, it´s getting a bit boring, we know they all doped, who ever get mentioned by name course their initials exits in some grand old case that we already know how far it reached out, is kinda useless.
Go after the UCI that is where the real problem is.

Mr.38% said:
The quantity of homologous blood found was too small to be result of a full unit (hence the vanishing twin defense). Contamination is much more probable.

Yes, I also remember there were blood cells from 2 other persons in TH's blood
So, what is R' ?

TRENDING THREADS