• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AC joint recovery

May 29, 2019
Visit site
I had a bit of a smash a few weeks ago. Broken ribs, collapsed lung, hairline fracture of the elbow and a grade 3 AC joint subluxation. Ribs, lung and elbow are all fine but the AC is still a good bit off. The doctors advice was that they weren't going to operate unless things started to get worse. From what I know, a grade 3 means the AC is done and not coming back so I've got plenty of physio ahead to rebuild the muscles and stabilise the rest of the shoulder area.
I'm back on the turbo and have no issues with my shoulder while holding the bar. I've even done some short intervals out of the saddle with no discomfort but I'd say there will be big difference between an hour in the kitchen and 4+ hours up the mountains.
Anyone else do their AC and what was your recovery like?
I have a weeks cycling holiday tying in with the Vuelta Espana in September. Should I be concerned or do you think I should be OK, all going well?

I had a level 3 back in 2006, conservative treatment no surgery. Took about 12 weeks to get to 90% normal. Another 2-3 months to get 100%. Have been pain free ever since with no arthritis. Swimming helped me the most after the first 12 weeks of PT. Best of luck to you.

TRENDING THREADS