• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AC to Saxo, is Riis better off without the Schlecks?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
contador will always target the tour.

however and unlike others that were always doing only the tour even with average competition, he has the balls to try the tour and vuelta or giro. and after, the 3.
not to mention that he starts the season with win at paris nice etc.

is andy better with or withou frank? if frank choses to be a domestique and a number 2, yes.

is frank better with or without andy?obvious without. he will notice that.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Terrible move for Contador to go to Saxo (from a spectator's point of view). It would have been much more interesting to see Contador with QuickStep.:eek:

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Andre.J said:
Terrible move for Contador to go to Saxo (from a spectator's point of view). It would have been much more interesting to see Contador with QuickStep.:eek:
why?with who? why not saxo?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
c&cfan said:
why?with who? why not saxo?

In my opinion a move to Quickstep would have made things more level. Personally I don't much care for Saxo too much, I find them dull. I would have liked to see Contador and Boonen and Chavanel on the same team. It would have been more of a contrast.
It would also have surprised many people of course; and who doesn't like surprises?
But QS was a long shot anyway. Oh well!

Publicus said:
Will folks want to ride with an outfit like Riis and AC and Spartacus at the helm? In theory I say yes, but we will see shortly.

I don't think any rider would have qualms about going to SBS. One of the best things about Riis' teams is that every rider gets a chance to win at some point during the year. Whenever there was a Sastre, Hamilton, Schleck or Basso for a 3 week race, you also had people like Julich and Voigt going for the one week races like P-N, or Criterium Intl, Fabian and Stuey going for the classics, etc.

I think that's why Riis has always had good teams, every rider knows they will get their chance, contrast that with a teams like Postal/Disco/Radio Shack where it was Lance for the win and everybody else has to take a back seat.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Andre.J said:

And you are sure, that it isn't because you're from Belgium?? :p

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Andre.J said:
In my opinion a move to Quickstep would have made things more level. Personally I don't much care for Saxo too much, I find them dull. I would have liked to see Contador and Boonen and Chavanel on the same team. It would have been more of a contrast.
It would also have surprised many people of course; and who doesn't like surprises?
But QS was a long shot anyway. Oh well!

.... and could you please explain why you find Saxo Bank dull???
I find them anything but dull :)

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
595RED said:
Will surely take some getting used to seeing Conta in Saxo jersey riding against Schleck.

+1 to that. It's going to be really weird.

I wonder if the Schlecks feel that Riis has stabbed them in the back by naming Saxo Bank as a 'new' sponsor? I'm guessing that they're glad they're starting their own team anyway, but could a large part of their decision have been influenced because Saxo Bank were supposedly pulling out?

And if Riis has got Saxo Bank back because Contador was joining him, I wonder if Baby Schleck feels second rate - or he thinks Riis thinks he's second rate? (He's clearly not, though ;))

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hawkeye said:
And you are sure, that it isn't because you're from Belgium?? :p

Well of course my being from Belgium does factor into the equation. But I'd like to think that patriotism is not my only reason; wasn't it Dostoevsky who said:" Patriotism is the rogue's last refuge". I am also Spanish fro my mother's side, so it does get complicated. I like Contador very much and would have loved the combination of a Spanish Champion going to a Belgian team. It could have been like my favourite ice cream.

Amicalement,
Andre

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
EmpressJo said:
+1 to that. It's going to be really weird.

I wonder if the Schlecks feel that Riis has stabbed them in the back by naming Saxo Bank as a 'new' sponsor? I'm guessing that they're glad they're starting their own team anyway, but could a large part of their decision have been influenced because Saxo Bank were supposedly pulling out?

And if Riis has got Saxo Bank back because Contador was joining him, I wonder if Baby Schleck feels second rate - or he thinks Riis thinks he's second rate? (He's clearly not, though ;))

Why on Earth would the Schlecks felt betrayed by Riis? They were the ones who left (which is their right) and Riis then made the best of the situation. I'm fairly certain Riis didn't ask Saxo Bank to stop their sponsorship prematurely as part of some Machiavelian masterplan to make the Schlecks move to a new team to make room for Contador. If Saxo Bank resigned because of Contador (which is certainly likely) then then he might rightly feel that Saxo Bank thinks he's second rate, but Riis has nothing to do with that.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Andre.J said:
Well of course my being from Belgium does factor into the equation. But I'd like to think that patriotism is not my only reason; wasn't it Dostoevsky who said:" Patriotism is the rogue's last refuge".
It was Samuel Johnson (aka Dr Johnson).

*This post was sponsored by Google*

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
I'm fairly certain Riis didn't ask Saxo Bank to stop their sponsorship prematurely as part of some Machiavelian masterplan to make the Schlecks move to a new team to make room for Contador.

Not at all, I certainly don't think that.

My line of thinking - which is why I posed the question - is this: Saxo Bank announce they're taking their sponsorship $s out of Team Saxo Bank - and cycling for that matter. Schlecks think, no Saxo Bank, no idea who new sponsor is = possibly less money = let's leave and start our own team. (Although this argument could be flawed somewhat, depending on what sponsorship Team Schleck ends up with). Schlecks announce they're leaving; Riis tries - and gets - Contador. Saxo Bank see Contador is on board, sees it's a good opportunity for exposure (let's face it, it is), and decides to hang on for another year.

Cerberus said:
Why on Earth would the Schlecks felt betrayed by Riis?

Perhaps 'betrayed by Riis' was the wrong way of me putting it. But IF (and it's an if - don't know if it's true) Schlecks were leaving because of a lack of Saxo Bank $s, they would feel hard done by that Saxo Bank are staying. Wouldn't you? On reflection, that's not Riis's fault, but you'd feel crappy if it was lack of $s that you were leaving for (if that logic is even sound in the first place).

Anyway, that's my (probably flawed) line of thinking. Happy to be proven wrong.

A

Anonymous

I tip the scales to AC. Nothing like insider information from the guy that helped develop the Schleck's.

But I can't blame the Schleck's for leaving. Prior to their decision to start their own team no one knew if Saxo would still be around for 2011. If you're gonna blame anyone blame Saxo Bank for flip flopping on their sponsorship.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Now that Contador is confirmed to join Riis at Saxo Bank - Sungard (from hence forth it will be known as Team SBS), but the Schleck's have left to start up their own team, do you think that is better for Riis that the Schleck's are leaving and gain Contador instead, or was he just better off keeping the Schleck's, who are both Ardennes Classic winners?

riis was unable to win the tour with the schleck brothers. you're damned skippy he's better off :D.

erader

So if you were a Saxo Bank rider who decided to leave with the Schlecks when it didn't look like Riis had a leg to stand on, do you reconsider that option now that he's not only got sponsors, but the best stage racer in the world signed up for two years?

EDIT: Assuming you haven't signed a contract with to be formed team.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
I thought Riis and AC would be a great working team. What will be interesting to see is who Riis can attract to ride along with AC (aside from Dani and the Boys). I think Team SBS needs another top rider (GC) to take a bit of the weight off of AC.

As always totally agree with you... That will be a dinamic duo, now we have to wait and see how it works... mmm another top rider (GC)? gosh... that would be great but who would be? Menchov would go likely to Astana, Samu is talking with Vancasoleil but He doesn't want to leave Euskaltel, Riccó? Don't even think about it :D, LLSanchez? is almost with Rabobank, who is left? so I think that his better shot would be Porte... and about which riders can attract Riis-Contador duo? Carlos Barredo would be one of them...!

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
EmpressJo said:
Not at all, I certainly don't think that.

My line of thinking - which is why I posed the question - is this: Saxo Bank announce they're taking their sponsorship $s out of Team Saxo Bank - and cycling for that matter. Schlecks think, no Saxo Bank, no idea who new sponsor is = possibly less money = let's leave and start our own team. (Although this argument could be flawed somewhat, depending on what sponsorship Team Schleck ends up with). Schlecks announce they're leaving; Riis tries - and gets - Contador. Saxo Bank see Contador is on board, sees it's a good opportunity for exposure (let's face it, it is), and decides to hang on for another year.

Perhaps 'betrayed by Riis' was the wrong way of me putting it. But IF (and it's an if - don't know if it's true) Schlecks were leaving because of a lack of Saxo Bank $s, they would feel hard done by that Saxo Bank are staying. Wouldn't you? On reflection, that's not Riis's fault, but you'd feel crappy if it was lack of $s that you were leaving for (if that logic is even sound in the first place).

Anyway, that's my (probably flawed) line of thinking. Happy to be proven wrong.

I think I understand, and agree, with you. Andy's already finished second at the Tour to Contador on two occasions, despite AC insisting that he was far from his best form this year; I'm sure Andy would much rather be beaten by a champion at the top of his game than one who reckoned he didn't ride a great race.

Add to that the fact that Andy's presence on the team was seemingly not enough to convince Saxo Bank to sponsor them for another year, while the timing of the announcement suggests that Contador's presence is enough to lead them to do exactly that. Can't help the poor boy's self esteem :rolleyes:

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The Fact that Riis is a DS for any cycling team is a bloody disgrace. After his confesion of EPO use to win the TDF he should have been drummed out of any pro or elite team involvement.
That he hasnt shows just how serious ( not) the UCI is about making the sport credibly clean.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
So if you were a Saxo Bank rider who decided to leave with the Schlecks when it didn't look like Riis had a leg to stand on, do you reconsider that option now that he's not only got sponsors, but the best stage racer in the world signed up for two years?

EDIT: Assuming you haven't signed a contract with to be formed team.

Hey I haven't thought about it... if that happens that will be really bad news for Andy and Frank... OMG just imagine Fulgsang staying... :eek:

Darryl Webster said:
The Fact that Riis is a DS for any cycling team is a bloody disgrace. After his confesion of EPO use to win the TDF he should have been drummed out of any pro or elite team involvement.
That he hasnt shows just how serious ( not) the UCI is about making the sport credibly clean.

Or that the UCI had no basis to sanction or exclude him for the sport since the confession was timed to occur have the statute of limitations had already expired.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Or that the UCI had no basis to sanction or exclude him for the sport since the confession was timed to occur have the statute of limitations had already expired.

Yeh, im aware of that..still is dont exactly garner any confidence does it?
On a point of law perhaps there hands are tied but the powers that be have barely uttered a word of disquite about the situation. That speeks volumes in my mind.

TRENDING THREADS