• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AC to Saxo, is Riis better off without the Schlecks?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Darryl Webster said:
Yeh, im aware of that..still is dont exactly garner any confidence does it?
On a point of law perhaps there hands are tied but the powers that be have barely uttered a word of disquite about the situation. That speeks volumes in my mind.

It is what it is. No basis to sanction, you move on to more pressing matters IMO.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Correct me if I am off base here but there are a few things that have to fall in place (not that I say it is impossible) but:
1: The Schlecks have to sign their main sponsor to get the show on the road
2: They have to get a licence to ride - are they gointg to g ofor a Pro-T license and get it ?
3: If no Pro-T license, they have to get invited to the Tour (unlikely that this will not happen)

But don't think it is plain sailing yet .. but that is my $0.03

ridley said:
Correct me if I am off base here but there are a few things that have to fall in place (not that I say it is impossible) but:
1: The Schlecks have to sign their main sponsor to get the show on the road
2: They have to get a licence to ride - are they gointg to g ofor a Pro-T license and get it ?
3: If no Pro-T license, they have to get invited to the Tour (unlikely that this will not happen)

But don't think it is plain sailing yet .. but that is my $0.03

I think you've summed all of the challenges facing Team Schleck. Which is why I posited my question a few pages back. If you are JF, do you really gamble on this new set up? What's his back up plan (rumor has it that the Schlecks have Radio Shack as a fall back position) if they can't get it done in time for the 2010-11 season?

Georgieboy said:
Rumour going around that Riis might sign Michael "The Chicken" Rasmussen.
Would be a great helper for Contador in the mountains..

At the press conference he said "I have not considered signing Michael Rasmussen".

I doubt he would be able to aid Contador in a GT after 3 years away from the professional cycling. The man is (getting) old.

Lyds97 said:
I think I understand, and agree, with you. Andy's already finished second at the Tour to Contador on two occasions, despite AC insisting that he was far from his best form this year; I'm sure Andy would much rather be beaten by a champion at the top of his game than one who reckoned he didn't ride a great race.

Add to that the fact that Andy's presence on the team was seemingly not enough to convince Saxo Bank to sponsor them for another year, while the timing of the announcement suggests that Contador's presence is enough to lead them to do exactly that. Can't help the poor boy's self esteem :rolleyes:

...and just when he was riding a wave of a self-imposed confidence high based on his performances at the Tour in the mountains and in the final ITT versus Contador. Going into the new season with the realization that his rival is now under the direction of his former director who has all the in's and out's of what makes him tick has to be disconcerting. It's similar to what many Shack fans were trumpeting going into the start of the 2010 season with Bruyneel having the inside info on Contador and that being a major advantage for the Shack. Difference being, the Shack had no one up to the challenge come Tour time and Riis has the biggest gun at his disposal in terms of stage racing.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
Now with Contador on SBS, is it fair to assume that he targets the Tour, and does not go for the Giro/Vuelta double that he has been hinting at recently?
I think that before the Tour he was quite certain to try and do the Giro/Vuelta in 2011, but after a less than convincing victory I reckon he will want to stamp some authority next year in the Tour. Plus if you are a sponsor putting in millions of pounds which race do you want him to be aiming for..the Tour.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:
If you think Vino is a loose cannon....

No, but I recently saw an (old) interview where Rasmussen said he wants some guys death.

If I were Contador I'd think twice before letting someone like that on my team lol.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
...and just when he was riding a wave of a self-imposed confidence high based on his performances at the Tour in the mountains and in the final ITT versus Contador. Going into the new season with the realization that his rival is now under the direction of his former director who has all the in's and out's of what makes him tick has to be disconcerting. It's similar to what many Shack fans were trumpeting going into the start of the 2010 season with Bruyneel having the inside info on Contador and that being a major advantage for the Shack. Difference being, the Shack had no one up to the challenge come Tour time and Riis has the biggest gun at his disposal in terms of stage racing.

+1
well put.

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Without a doubt he is better off without the Schlecks and with Contador. This is a statement of the obvious.

My observation from this years tour is that A Schleck rode a better race without F Schleck. He spent less time looking round wondering where big brother was and just got on with looking round to see where A Cont was, which was always up his *** or up the road.

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
khardung la said:
I don't think Riis is sad with the change. And probably the Schleck bros should be a bit intimidated by the new situation. Cancellara and Larsson in the TTT, plus a team that has already a structure vs. a ghost team that probably has to be built from scratch...

The TTT will probably define the whole Tour, and there is no one that Schlecks can hire to match a TTT driven by Cancellara, Larsson and Contador.

Obviously, money talks, especially when the Schlecks walk, and as much as I hate TTT's, I would rather be on the winning team than the losing team, and SBS looks pretty good in that department. I honestly think a triple is possible with a very strong team, but I would be very happy with a double. I know the Tour is the thing, but this year it was rather boring and next year it will only be more tailor made for Schleck than it was this year (wallah, drop the Prologue), so frankly I would like to see Contador skip the TDF and concentrate on a double. He could come back the next year and do a triple, when his aerobic system will be even more mature. I guess my only problem with this thing is how Cancellara and Contador will manage together. I really like the both of them. I mean, after these two guys, what else is left in cycling besides Cavendish, who I also like, but think that to be a great Tour team is quite a bit different than being a good sprinting team, although this year Cavendish proved he can cycle on his own when needed. The 3 C's. I can see (C) it now. Tshirts, $12.99.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
reubenr said:
Obviously, money talks, especially when the Schlecks walk, and as much as I hate TTT's, I would rather be on the winning team than the losing team, and SBS looks pretty good in that department. I honestly think a triple is possible with a very strong team, but I would be very happy with a double. I know the Tour is the thing, but this year it was rather boring and next year it will only be more tailor made for Schleck than it was this year (wallah, drop the Prologue), so frankly I would like to see Contador skip the TDF and concentrate on a double. He could come back the next year and do a triple, when his aerobic system will be even more mature. I guess my only problem with this thing is how Cancellara and Contador will manage together. I really like the both of them. I mean, after these two guys, what else is left in cycling besides Cavendish, who I also like, but think that to be a great Tour team is quite a bit different than being a good sprinting team, although this year Cavendish proved he can cycle on his own when needed. The 3 C's. I can see (C) it now. Tshirts, $12.99.

How about Tom Boonen?

ridelikethewind said:
Without a doubt he is better off without the Schlecks and with Contador. This is a statement of the obvious.

My observation from this years tour is that A Schleck rode a better race without F Schleck. He spent less time looking round wondering where big brother was and just got on with looking round to see where A Cont was, which was always up his *** or up the road.

I am really not so sure he is better off with AC over Team Schleck. Certainly not an obvious statement.

Yes, last year in the TDF Andy spent a lot of time looking out for big bro but, Frank in the run up this year, was in great form. In my opinion a Schleck would have won Yellow this year if Frank hadn't crashed out.

Riis will not be a factor on who wins next year's TDF...... it will be Andy Schleck by the way;)

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
ferryman said:
I am really not so sure he is better off with AC over Team Schleck. Certainly not an obvious statement.

Yes, last year in the TDF Andy spent a lot of time looking out for big bro but, Frank in the run up this year, was in great form. In my opinion a Schleck would have won Yellow this year if Frank hadn't crashed out.

Riis will not be a factor on who wins next year's TDF...... it will be Andy Schleck by the way;)

There is something to say for good coaching or else they would have done away with it a long time ago.

If this year's Tour is an example of what Riis brings to the table tactically then I'd say Andy Schleck is better off leaving. In retrospect I can't figure out whether Schleck was ignoring Riis or Riis was less than keen for Schleck to win or Riis just isn't that smart :confused:

theyoungest said:
What failed tactics are you talking about?

The ill-fated chain-slip attack which was doomed to failure regardless, towing Contador up Tourmalet, poorly judged TT pace after Cancellara said you had to keep a lot for the last 15k, doing too much with the team while defending yellow, poor positioning on Schleck's part on Mende. I'm not sure what sort of relationship Schleck and Riis had during the Tour so it's difficult to know exactly where the blame lies

Eyeballs Out said:
The ill-fated chain-slip attack which was doomed to failure regardless, towing Contador up Tourmalet, poorly judged TT pace after Cancellara said you had to keep a lot for the last 15k, doing too much with the team while defending yellow, poor positioning on Schleck's part on Mende. I'm not sure what sort of relationship Schleck and Riis had during the Tour so it's difficult to know exactly where the blame lies

"The Blame lies with the person riding the Bike,not the one Providing the bike."
Andy was the one deciding to down shift whilst under load.