• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Acceptable to wear OLD team kits?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tonton said:
What a cool thread! I love the Mark Renshaw story :D . True that a mix of different teams' clothing would raise my eyebrows. Or a fat guy wearing the TdF polka dot jersey. Yet, if it makes him happy, who am I to judge? I have looked up Molteni stuff, WC jersey no less :cool: , thinking that wearing Eddy's gear would push me to live up to it, ride even harder...
I remember around the whole Cav to Sky carry-on, that I saw a guy in a HTC jersey with SKY bibs at Richmond Pk.

completely
unacceptable

maybe the socks
but that is all

YmNHmRI.jpg

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I have an original 1986 La Vie Claire jersey that everyone loves (wish I still fit into it!)

Also a 92 Motorola - the heavy zipper tab squeaks when you ride. Really nice fabric.

Good chat guys and girls!

I should point out the original question was a bit tongue in cheek, as was posting one of "the rules", I just wanted to see what people think.

I wear whatever I want on the bike. I tend not to wear modern team kit as I feel it gives the impression I support a particular team and I don't. Other than that I could care less what others wear, young lad in one of the clubs I ride with turns up in full Tinkov kit, but then he's the first up the hills so fair play to him!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Rule #17 // Team kit is for members of the team.
Wearing Pro team kit is also questionable if you’re not paid to wear it. If you must fly the colors of Pro teams, all garments should match perfectly, i.e no Mapei jersey with Kelme shorts and Telekom socks.
I think you've answered your own question there. ;)

Re:

gazr99 said:
I go for the tactic of team jerseys purely so I have all the gear and no idea

I thought this now included all and any Rapha gear, team or not? :)

To be fair, I know a guy who rides in Rapha stuff, has a beautiful custom 953 SS bike and a carbon whippet. He's a seriously good rider though so all the gear and the ideas would be a better explanation!

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
If it's clean then I'll wear it, the last thing I care about whilst cycling is how I look, having said that a friend who I ride motorcycles with wears his Kawasaki green leathers from his old bike with his current red ducati, and that is just plain wrong! :eek:

So how about wearing a trek/cannondale jersey whilst riding a bianchi, BMC etc. ?

The Principal Sheep said:
If it's clean then I'll wear it, the last thing I care about whilst cycling is how I look, having said that a friend who I ride motorcycles with wears his Kawasaki green leathers from his old bike with his current red ducati, and that is just plain wrong! :eek:

So how about wearing a trek/cannondale jersey whilst riding a bianchi, BMC etc. ?

Now that's a tough one. I think old jerseys are fine on any bike. Current team jerseys would look a bit weird on anything other than that brand bike.

Wear whatever you want, except if you're going to race. I'd go with nothing so current that someone serious could confuse you for a pro but YMMV. I'm personally partial to retro kit , but I'm not wearing anything in wool. 80's are nice, but two of the best, la Vie Claire and Cafe de Colombia, are a bit played out. I'd actually do late 90's (Kelme, Festina, Telekom), if not for the connotations. If saw someone with the Mapei above I'd give them a massive chapeau. Blue Garmin and Tinkoff Camo (Also the thicker midnight blue Sky, if it didn't look so hot) would be my pick of the recent litter, but I'll give it a few years.

having said that a friend who I ride motorcycles with wears his Kawasaki green leathers from his old bike with his current red ducati, and that is just plain wrong! :eek:

I'm actually working for a motorcycle company at the moment and it's part of the lock-in strategy to sell matching kit to riders, so they can't really buy another brand of motorbike without replacing their matching clothes.

And the margins are much higher than on the actual motor cycle too.

King Boonen said:

Now that's a tough one. I think old jerseys are fine on any bike. Current team jerseys would look a bit weird on anything other than that brand bike.
Sort of agree - not all team kit goes along very well with the bike/rest of the setup. I occasionally wear a Mapei GB set, whilst riding a Canyon Ultimate AL (white and black colour). Fits well together, and doesn't look stupid. However, you should wear whatever you like, even if it may look stupid (new team kit or old team kit). The No-Team-Kit-Rule is BS.

Re:

BigMac said:
Well it's a bit different though, isn't it? I doubt he scraps off the brand logo on his jersey, which are the equivalent to frame graphics. Bikes don't come with advertising yet.

It's not that different, it's all advertising. That massive Sepcialized logo down the frameset isn't a requirement. It isn't a subtle designed to prevent fraud It's a massive advert that you're paying for the privilege to advertise, same with almost any bike brand. Same with the Castelli Scorpion and so on. No doubt the difference is many of us are proud to display certain logos, such as the Castelli scorpion, because there is a certain kudos to it within cycling snobbery. It's no different to any other advertising though.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
avanti said:
I wont wear advertising (team jerseys) unless I'm getting rewarded for doing so.

Do you remove/paint over graphics on your bike, groupset, wheels, shoes, pedals, helmet, bottles etc? Put tape over company logos on jerseys, shorts, socks, hats and so on? Scratch Lezyne off your pump..?

I did specify team jerseys in my post.

Re:

BigMac said:
Hope you're lucky with the seller. I've bought a couple of kits from Aliexpress, one's still good, the other got destroyed after a few washes.

I've bought an old Molteni and Peugeot kit from aliexpress, apart from the stiches of the backpocket getting lose on the latter they are still in greats shape. I've also bought a lampre, quick-step 14 & 15 and a polka dot jersey and shorts for my son and I haven't had any problems with them either. I have to say that the quality (compared to the price) is pretty good in my eyes.

Re: Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
BigMac said:
Hope you're lucky with the seller. I've bought a couple of kits from Aliexpress, one's still good, the other got destroyed after a few washes.

I've bought an old Molteni and Peugeot kit from aliexpress, apart from the stiches of the backpocket getting lose on the latter they are still in greats shape. I've also bought a lampre, quick-step 14 & 15 and a polka dot jersey and shorts for my son and I haven't had any problems with them either. I have to say that the quality (compared to the price) is pretty good in my eyes.
Thanks pals. :)

I guess that's part of the gamble if you buy something from Aliexpress for low cash.

Hopefully I'm lucky. It was Sunny Cycling Store where I placed my order. So maybe that's where one of you got his jerseys from as well!?

Sometimes that replica stuff is simply made in the same fabrics where Nike & co themselves let produce their items. Maybe I picked out one of those!

If not, well with ~€130 for 3 kits and a winter fleece jacket there still ain't nothing to complain about. The Prendas caps are pretty good of course!