• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

achillies tendonitis help

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Any suggestions for helping achillies tendonitis/tendinosis? Whenever I ride I have pain in my left achillies tendon. It usually starts towards the end of the ride. I havent changed my position on the bike for four years and if anything my training has reduced recently. I'm not sure why this has started but I'm at the point where I can ride at all, as even a very slow easy ride results in significant pain and swelling of my ankle for 6-48 hours after. Tried stretching, ice and anti-inflammatory creams. Any other suggestions? :(

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, the only solution is rest, rest, rest :mad:. I've had the same problem myself, and rest was the only thing that allowed the tendon to heal properly. Physiotherapy helped, as did taping to restrict movement in the foot, but pushing through and aggravating the tendon can lead to some nasty permanent damage. The achilles is a large tendon with no blood supply, hence the slow healing. Hope that helps :eek:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Rest is a great answer but sometimes even rest doesn't cure all. I know, i tore some muscles in my soleus 3 years ago and still suffer pain. Not to spam but we've taped a lot of athletes (cyclists, tris, runners) for AT issues and they all claim it makes a big difference. You can use ROCKTAPE (shameless plug) or any Kinesiology tape. We publish videos on our web site that show you how to tape yourself. You can also visit a therapist who knows how to tape. Well worth the $20 to find out if it helps IMO.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Whatever you do be careful with your AT, if it goes you have a long road to go before you get back out on your bike. Taping is def worth a try but monitor carefully!! The AT can just go on you :(

TRENDING THREADS