• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Adiós Caisse d'Epargne?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
they have to look for a sponsor outside of spain but they won't because unzue wants to keep a spanish team. there are no sponsors left in spain because of the crisis. spain is hit so hard. I also find it funny how every time a team manager will say because of the doping images in cycling blabla when in reality we have more sponsors this year than ever.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
I can see Lulu and a number of CdE riders joining Astana if AC (as it looks) re-signs with Astana. But definitely Lulu.

that was actually my own first reaction to this news as well, that many might go to astana. Or does anyone know whether Alonso still wanted to start a team?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
There will be a lot of riders on the market if Caisse d'Epargne and Bbox fold, plus maybe even Saxo Bank.

Many of them might find a spot on Kim Andersen's new team!

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
If Rogers has a huge Tour and finishes top ten, he can be their big signing. Him or Kreuziger.

Uffff don't count with Kreuziger... there is a rumour-mill that says that he will be going for Astana next year... that is sounding pretty hard... lets see how well he can do it in Le Grand Boucle I'm expecting a lot from him...

Publicus said:
I can see Lulu and a number of CdE riders joining Astana if AC (as it looks) re-signs with Astana. But definitely Lulu.

Is pretty sad what is happening with the Caisse but they will get something... well I'm expecting so... will be a shame lose a team like that!!!

Barrus said:
that was actually my own first reaction to this news as well, that many might go to astana. Or does anyone know whether Alonso still wanted to start a team?

You have to wait until 2012 for that and when that happens AC and half Astana is going sing with the Banco de Santander

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Luis Leon Sanchez his brother was today announced made a 10 milion euro transfer already to Real Madrid coming over from Getafe ...

Pedro_Luis_Leon.jpg
Pedro y Luis León

Pedro León. Claro que es mucho más sacrificado el ciclismo que el fútbol. Hay que ser mucho más duro para ser ciclista, pero no discutimos: a ti te gusta la bici y a mí el balón.

Luis León. Los dos empezamos con la bici y con el balón y haciendo más deportes, que no se nos daban mal. Luego, yo elegí la bici y tú el fútbol. Así que no nos podemos criticar. Pero estarás conmigo en que el fútbol está sobrevalorado. Aunque parece que, poco a poco, algunos ciclistas empiezan a ganar más dinero.

Luis León. [se refiere a la Operación Puerto: Luis León formaba en el equipo Liberty, de Manolo Saiz, en 2006] :eek:

. Pasé un año muy malo.

http://www.goal.com/en/people/spain/16019/pedro-le%C3%B3n

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
If this does happen, maybe Uran( big hope) and Soler will join that columbian team - cafe columbia team or whatever.

And this isnt just the end of Caisse. This is the same team which under the name banesto won 5 tours with indurain no?

Yes, and before that it was the Reynolds team Delgado won the Tour with in 88. The team structure dates from 1981. It would be a sad loss.

The Hitch said:
If this does happen, maybe Uran( big hope) and Soler will join that columbian team - cafe columbia team or whatever.

And this isnt just the end of Caisse. This is the same team which under the name banesto won 5 tours with indurain no?
Correct. This team has been around since 1980 under one name or another (Reynolds, Banesto, Illes Balears, Caisse d'Epargne).

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Paul Sherwen said on Stage 3 that Bbox will announce a new sponsor on August 1 for the next five years. If true that is awesome, and things could be looking good for Milram on the sponsorship front. Matt Keenan said that the viewership ratings in Germany have been well up on previous years (near record levels). Despite what the German media thinks of the sport.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Paul Sherwen said on Stage 3 that Bbox will announce a new sponsor on August 1 for the next five years. If true that is awesome, and things could be looking good for Milram on the sponsorship front. Matt Keenan said that the viewership ratings in Germany have been well up on previous years (near record levels). Despite what the German media thinks of the sport.

What company would sign up for 5(!) years in these times?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure TBH. I don't know if you have had the 'pleasure' of listening to Paul Sherwen (by the sounds of things, some Dutch commentators aren't better), he does tend to sprout some BS from time to time, or make things up that never even happened.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I'm not sure TBH. I don't know if you have had the 'pleasure' of listening to Paul Sherwen (by the sounds of things, some Dutch commentators aren't better), he does tend to sprout some BS from time to time, or make things up that never even happened.

I always listen to Belgian commentators. The Dutch are horrible, but at least not every race thread is spammed with messages about all their mistakes. :p

TRENDING THREADS