• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Advertising Dollars not effected by Positive Dope Tests

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Is there a cushion, in supplying positive dope tests, as backwards testing, to save the companies advertising/image dollars. Does the money really talk here ?

Does it really matter who failed tests back in 2008 ?

strange

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
No positives = CLEAN TOUR = Increased sponsorship prospects

+1

For the general sports fan or the casual cycling fan the Tour ended without any positive - it is then a 'clean' Tour.

Di Luca's positive was announced during the Tour. Di Luca is a big fish yet in the mainstream press it got little to no mention. I was watching the stage the day of that announcement on Versus P&P, did not mention it.

Contrast this with a positive during the Tour in 2007 of Moreini - a little known cyclist - yet the images of him being led away by the Genderme went across the world. That is a powerful image that I am sure the UCI and the ASO/EPA did not want repeated.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
- as the testers have said, they are getting pretty close to being able to pull riders out during competition, and yet my point being, the DELAY is planned/forethought for the advertisers/sponsors benefit.

Yet I have to ask myself, do they buy(paid for) the right ?

what should be slammed into first gear
is confidently shifted into reverse

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
simple cleaner sport= more money from better publicity.
Ad men are not bikers, sponsorship is simple business. Highroad netted $70million of ad revenue for their backers on an $8 dollar investment.

Flip side is Shumacher positive test was the nail in German investment into the sport. 1 Full pro team out- 1 wont renew contract and 5 smaller cont teams out (not thru natural wastage) but because of cycling's cronic doping image.

WHO wants associated with cheats. EST 150 jobs gone in the fatherland. 150 families without income because of 1 selfish cheat. The REAL cost of doping.

F.Landis back racing at ouch- everyone open arms Phonak? where that money go HE single handedly dumped that money from cycling.

9 jobs at Sanier Duval that were not filled in rebranding on smaller budget- thanks Ricco.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
$70 million ad revenue for the sponsors ? The sponsors got $70 million back just from ads linked to Team Highroad ? They put $70 million in a bank ???

TRENDING THREADS