• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Advice on rehab of a classic

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Hello all, a bit of advice wanted.

I lost my father a while back. The one thing that I have asked for of his was his '74 Raleigh Supercourse. It is sitting in storage 2,500 miles from me. The Simplex derailleurs were replaced inthe 80's with Suntour, and I am looking at this as a regular ride, not a show bike, we had a lot of nice rides together and I intend to unse the bike well in memory.

So, I was intending to put off the rebuild (I know I will have to get the rear seat-stays expanded for a modern hub), but just realized Campagnolo has eneded production on their all alloy Centaur groupset (only carbon option for 2010) and I want to at least keep the components alloy. So I'm going to purchase a 2009 groupset before they are gone. Some parts are easy - English BB, but I'm thinking on front derailleur - I think I will have to do braze-on and add a band, as the frame must be the older 28.6mm? Is that the right thought?

Anything else I should be thinking of? Anybody know of where I can get Chocolate brown grip tape? I will be getting some white Hudz hoods and white cable housing to keep this era-appropriate. I don't think white grip tape would look right with that, and I'm not ready to shell out $100 for Brooks leather tape quite yet.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
10 spd Centaur? The original rear wheel is probably 5 spd or ultra 6? You'll probably wind up needing a rear wheel or rebuilding onto a 10spd hub.

See if the diameter is stamped onto the seat post, I could be wrong but the 28.6 doesn't sound quite right for the seat tube.

Does Cinelli make a brown or natural cork tape?

Poke around here for some ideas, follow the links too.
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks -
Yes I'm planning all new 700c wheels, hence the need to spread the rear stays to current width (nice thing about steel). I'll take a look at the link.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
mercycle said:
See if the diameter is stamped onto the seat post, I could be wrong but the 28.6 doesn't sound quite right for the seat tube.

He's asking about the outside diameter of the seat tube so he can find the correct front derailleur clamp band, which should be 28.6mm on this bike. You are right about the inside diameter of the tube for the seat post though, it should be stamped on the current post. If not, he'll need to use accurate calipers and a little trial and error (if he needs to replace the current post, that is).

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Where's Homer Simpson slapping his head when you need him? Of course he was talking about outside diameter :)

Campy should have bands to fit just about any steel frame.

mercycle said:
Does Cinelli make a brown or natural cork tape?

Cinelli makes a tan/natural. Rivendell makes a natural cork tape. Some of the more fashion conscious Brooks and beards types shellac their cork tape to match their saddles.

There are alternatives to Brooks leather tape. Velo orange sells leather tape for about half the price of Brooks. They make an elk hide bar cover that is around thirty bucks that is the style that you sew on the bar. They also sell brown cloth tape for a few bucks.

TheDude said:
Hello all, a bit of advice wanted.

I lost my father a while back. The one thing that I have asked for of his was his '74 Raleigh Supercourse. It is sitting in storage 2,500 miles from me. The Simplex derailleurs were replaced inthe 80's with Suntour, and I am looking at this as a regular ride, not a show bike, we had a lot of nice rides together and I intend to unse the bike well in memory.

So, I was intending to put off the rebuild (I know I will have to get the rear seat-stays expanded for a modern hub), but just realized Campagnolo has eneded production on their all alloy Centaur groupset (only carbon option for 2010) and I want to at least keep the components alloy. So I'm going to purchase a 2009 groupset before they are gone. Some parts are easy - English BB, but I'm thinking on front derailleur - I think I will have to do braze-on and add a band, as the frame must be the older 28.6mm? Is that the right thought?

Anything else I should be thinking of? Anybody know of where I can get Chocolate brown grip tape? I will be getting some white Hudz hoods and white cable housing to keep this era-appropriate. I don't think white grip tape would look right with that, and I'm not ready to shell out $100 for Brooks leather tape quite yet.

Thanks in advance.

There are a couple of 28.6mm front derailleur clamps that you bolt the braze-on FD to.

Cold setting the 120mm rear end to 130mm 'may' be a challenge. Hopefully somebody will do it well w/o popping off a brake bridge or the bridge behind the BB.

Look around on ebay. 2006 aluminum Centaur levers are still around.

I think this place

http://www.vecchios.com

still has them new in the box. These levers completely compatible with 2007/8/9 Centaur front and rear derailleurs.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
As Bustedknuckle said cold setting from 120mm to 130mm may very well damage your frame. You will also need long reach brakes to convert to 700c.

If I was you I would leave it alone but convert to 700c. What line of Suntour components does the bike have on it? Suntour made good stuff it's just that Suntour freewheels are getting hard to find in the popular ratios. Either horde Suntour freewheels or look for Campagnolo Super Record components(C Record is the best but costs $$$$ and since this is not a top of the line frame IMHO not worth it) from the 80's and rebuild with that(look on e-bay). And have a nice vintage bike(there is nothing wrong with DT shifters on a everyday bike). VeloBase is a great resource on vintage components.

Here is more info on your bike.
The Raleigh Super Course Series
Tom Forhan's Periodic Table of the Raleigh Super Course

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
have a few vintage bikes myself

restore it-ride it and enjoy it, as a secondary bike.

the rear triangle will not open out easily. (if you must get it done, get it tracked by a framebuilder under heat)

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks all.
The reference confirmed my Dad's was a 73/74 model. I don't recall which Suntour I slapped on for him, something from around 1985 when his Simplex linear front derailliur was acting up.

At this point, I'm much more interested in having this as a nice ride than how much it is going to cost me (within reason, but possibly up to 10 times the bike's price new - I think about $125). I found a reference to drop-bolts to be able to use regular calipers - I'll be looking for a set...

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I'd find a frame builder in town to 1. re-set the rear stays, and 2. make sure the frame is properly aligned. Then I'd scour eBay for era appropriate campy gear. I'd stick with down-tube shifters. You can modify indexed 7 or 8 speed, or adapt bar-end shifters. Post some pictures! good luck with it.

TRENDING THREADS