• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aerodynamic Properties of the Bikes/Wheels

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks

Just curious - I know that different rider/bike combinations will result in custom fits/designs for each professional rider, but why is there not a standard spoke design among wheels?

Comparing these two bikes from Astana used in the TT, (image here)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/photos/tour-tech-custom-bikes-for-almost-everyone/78748

The bike at the front uses a carbon tri-spoke design, whereas the bike in the back uses traditional spokes. I can't see how spoke design aerodynamics is specific between riders.

This might be a noob question, but why isn't there a consensus on wheel design?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
because its not all about aerodynamics. Weight, stiffness, braking surface, rider preference, rider weight and power are all considerations in wheel selection.

There is no one correct answer.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Conditions, courses, preference, a fair bit goes into the choice, the more standard the course, ie straight flat out and back no wind the more you'll see the same wheel being used. Once you throw in variables then compromises are made. High wind...lower depth, hills...lighter weight, corners ie acceleration...light weight high stiffness.

Then a big one...sponsors. Maybe everyone would love a Hed 3 (arbitrary choice) for the TT but if you aren't sponsored by Hed...

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
To follow up on what animal said, trispoke wheels have some interesting handling properties. On the front, they are generally bad in crosswinds, and my experience has been that screaming downhill at 45-50mph a front trispoke is bad in almost any wind condition. Not all riders would agree with me on that.

On the other hand, I swear by my rear trispoke in any conditions. It's a little slower than a disk, but I can only remember one time that I got worried about its handling - downhill at 47mph in a crosswind.

Different riders have different experiences on this. Your bike setup makes a difference as well - more aggressive positions have different handling challenges than less aggressive positions, as do different aerobars.

TRENDING THREADS