• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

After the Culling in Holland....

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Publicus said:
He may be the Eddy Merckx of Mullets.

I thought Laurent Brochard should be the Merckx or at least the Hinault.

brochard.gif

brochard94.jpg

Then I found Roberto Gagglioli. Although that technically does not look like a mullet.

gagg-coors.jpg

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget Stefano Garzelli.
If A&S doesn't lose to much on TTT, I think he is more of a favorite than Nibali. He climbed quite well in second part of the Giro last year and had an accident free preparation for this Giro.

I don't like him personally, but he rode smart these two day and for that he has my respect.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Over the last couple of days I think that traffic islands seem to be putting in the best showing; repeatedly attacking the bunch and splitting the field.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I thought Laurent Brochard should be the Merckx or at least the Hinault.

brochard.gif

brochard94.jpg

Then I found Roberto Gagglioli. Although that technically does not look like a mullet.

gagg-coors.jpg

No fair, they have the advantage of time, where some people were trying to do a Billy ray Cyrus, The current Eastern Blockers have made an active decision that flys in the face of... sanity

On Topic

The situation is pretty much the same
Evans, Basso Sastre and Vino
But Vino is now in a more advantageous position, I would say by having the time he would be up from about 10% chance to maybe 17%, OK, 17.5%

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Back on topic, I would like to see an Evans v Sastre battle, but I have a horrible feeling Vino is going to win the thing.

Carlos will take them all on a little visit to the slaughter house in the final week. Its going to be spectacular.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Back on topic, I would like to see an Evans v Sastre battle, but I have a horrible feeling Vino is going to win the thing.

I feel the same way. But I also am thinking that Cadel will take carlos to the slaughter house and cut him up like a piece of meat on the climbs!:p

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I think Basso's chances have increased. IMO he should be better than Vino on the climbs and hold off Cadel in the TT, also Sastre has fallen behind and that evens out his advantage on the climbs.

Off topic, I have two questions:
- So non-mullet-wearing men have an advantage with russian women over the by-law-mulleted men?
- Should we have a Mullet thread in the Café?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
And there are no crashes in races held elsewhere?

Susan

Yes, but the amount of crashes there were in the past two stages with the amount of injuries indicates that the course may be just a bit too dangerous. Your former colleague Anthony Tan would agree with me.

auscyclefan94 said:
Yes, but the amount of crashes there were in the past two stages with the amount of injuries indicates that the course may be just a bit too dangerous. Your former colleague Anthony Tan would agree with me.
Look for the reactions of Francois the Postman, elsewhere on this forum. It will explain to you why it's not the course that's dangerous, but the approach the teams have to these stages that makes it dangerous.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Back to the real topic...

Is there a chance the Russian sports scientists have worked out that a mullet acts as an aerodynamic fairing that helps reduce turbulance at the back of the head? It would explain why the number and size of mullets has descreased as helmet designs have improved over the last ten years.

Oh and Rohregger is my pick for the Young Riders Jersey now. And thinking it's good Cadel has lost some time, means he can't fall into the defensive riding trap that helped lose him two TdF's.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
it might be good IF BMC dont loose heaps of time in the TTT which I am afraid that im 80% sure that whats going to happen

What would if been good is keeping it untill TTT where he could of minimised damage

badboyberty said:
Back to the real topic...

Is there a chance the Russian sports scientists have worked out that a mullet acts as an aerodynamic fairing that helps reduce turbulance at the back of the head? It would explain why the number and size of mullets has descreased as helmet designs have improved over the last ten years.

Oh and Rohregger is my pick for the Young Riders Jersey now. And thinking it's good Cadel has lost some time, means he can't fall into the defensive riding trap that helped lose him two TdF's.
Good pick. He's 4 years too old, though.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The time differences between major contenders could actually encourage aggressive racing. The last week of the Giro is so difficult, that if most contedners had been within a minute, they would ride like Indurain el ordenador, in other words, like a computer.

Last year's Vuelta I think showed how a really difficult parcours had the opposite effect and stifled racing. No one wanted to lose, and many believed they had a shot at #1, or the podium. Using a cartouche on Monday will bite you on Tuesday. With major time differences, some people will have to take risks they wouldn't have taken before. Or so I hope.

I do wonder how long Vino will last, whether Sastre is as strong as last year, how diesel Basso will digest the mountains.

theyoungest said:
Look for the reactions of Francois the Postman, elsewhere on this forum. It will explain to you why it's not the course that's dangerous, but the approach the teams have to these stages that makes it dangerous.

Some would say it isn't even that, but it's down to the experience of the riders in dealing with these conditions. We've seen that some Spanish riders can deal with echelon formation from Caisse d'Epargne in Paris-Nice, and Liquigas and Lampre were mostly okay (Lampre were caught out, sure, but they did bring Cunego back, and Hondo and Petacchi were up front until Petacchi punctured), but, just as the only teams that struggled on the cobbles in last year's Vuelta in Holland and Belgium were Andalucía, Contentpolis-AMPO and Xacobeo (before the mass pile-up on the roundabout in Liège anyway, though that wasn't cobbled), the problem here has been a large number of Italian ProContinental teams with little experience of racing in these conditions. Somebody like Domenico Pozzovivo is 5'5" and weighs 100lbs soaking wet, he's not got much experience of waaiers, and he doesn't have a single teammate who HAS who can guide him around, it's going to be trouble for people who are riding around him because he could go into them any second. Same goes for various South American riders on the Continental teams, and some of the less experienced Spanish riders like those on Footon... you could be quite experienced at racing in Holland, but if you're not able to get up to the front, and you're riding alongside the likes of Pozzovivo, Sarmiento, Capecchi and Pirazzi in these conditions, you can't have total faith in their bike-handling skills as a result of their inexperience in dealing with the situation, and that makes you tense and nervous, and you pay too much attention to some things, meaning you overlook others.

TRENDING THREADS