• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aggresive Racing

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

Many of us watched the USA Pro Cycling Challenge and saw how Garmin raced very aggresively and it yielded great results for them (3 stages and the overall).

The question is, why don't teams do this more often?

Or maybe Garmin's results are not because of the agressive racing? They did have the best sprinter by far and their GC riders (though I love them) didn't really show amazing force in the finales.

Thoughts?

All of the other teams were either weak or didn't care too much.
Sadly, you can't ride that way in a GT. Biggest teams would chase you to death again and again. And riders are too scared they won't recover for the following stages anyway.

I'd make a case of being more aggressive in one week races though.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
For one thing it is much easier to have success through aggressive racing in a small American tour, especially when the team being aggressive is one of the strongest in the race. In any Grand tour or classic the other teams would never let dangerous breaks with GC contenders like Danielson or Nibali get away.

As for why other teams don't use the tactics Garmin used, the tactics were very risky and not every team would be willing to take those risks in the big races like the Tour or Giro.

A large part of Garmins success this race I think has to do with them being the strongest team in the race and having the best riders. And there wasn't alot of other top riders there. For example Farrar was by far the top sprinter and won his stages easily, there wasn't really any other big name sprinters.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
As for why other teams don't use the tactics Garmin used, the tactics were very risky and not every team would be willing to take those risks in the big races like the Tour or Giro.

In today's Denver Post JV said that they took the risky approach for this tour.

I agree that it would work in a GT.

Don't forget quite a few of the Garmin riders live in the vicinity and are used to the altitude. The climbs weren't steep but at high altitude they are tough, especially for guys from Europe.

Aggressive riding in your backyard is much easier :)

Carols said:
Don't forget quite a few of the Garmin riders live in the vicinity and are used to the altitude. The climbs weren't steep but at high altitude they are tough, especially for guys from Europe.

Good point carols.
Also, as Timmy Duggan said , I believe, that all the locals know where to put on an attack and where they can kick back a bit. When you know what is coming and have familiarity it would add to your ability to race aggressively.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:

Plus, Garmin's HQ is Boulder, CO. Even the guys that don't live there do plenty of training in the area. I think that gave them quite an incentive to put on a display.

Also, they had a really strong team with three guys with a legitimate shot at overall victory (CVV, Tommy D., and Peter Stetina). That cuts out a bit of the risk on the aggressive tactics. CVV was able to hang in the main bunch and mark the other main competitors (okay, really just van Garderen) instead of working.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
Good point carols.
Also, as Timmy Duggan said , I believe, that all the locals know where to put on an attack and where they can kick back a bit. When you know what is coming and have familiarity it would add to your ability to race aggressively.

Mew, not so sure about these guys in their "backyard" i know a lot grew up or live in the area, but don't most of these guys live and train in Europe throughout the season? I will say hometown fans will make you push that much harder though.:)

TRENDING THREADS