• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Airbag safety devices for pro bike racers?

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Airbag suits have been used in motorcycle racing, especially as neck protection. Think it might be a bit bulky for cycling though with added weight and wind resistance?

On the subject of VDV, the whole Garmin team seem very fragile recently. By the end of the Tour they were the walking wounded and their attrition rate in Eneco Tour is high too. Just a coincidence I'm sure but they do seem to be the most unlucky team out there?

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I thought the same thing when I saw the article yesterday. The manufacturer says they've talked to mountain bikers. In pro cycling guys would be concerned with weight, aerodynamics, heat, and sponsor logos. It would definitely take a lot of modifications. Could it work under a jersey, for example, so the pockets are available and race number and sponsors visible? Picture those long climbs on hot days where guys have their jerseys unzipped and take bottles of water from fans to dump on themselves, or the various cooling sleeves and things some teams use. It also wouldn't activate in a fall when the rider isn't tossed off the bike.

It would be great if there was a way to protect cyclists from injury, but there's so much concern already about proper fabrics and skin suits and things that it would take a lot of work to come up with something pros would use.

theswordsman said:
I thought the same thing when I saw the article yesterday. The manufacturer says they've talked to mountain bikers. In pro cycling guys would be concerned with weight, aerodynamics, heat, and sponsor logos. It would definitely take a lot of modifications. Could it work under a jersey, for example, so the pockets are available and race number and sponsors visible? Picture those long climbs on hot days where guys have their jerseys unzipped and take bottles of water from fans to dump on themselves, or the various cooling sleeves and things some teams use. It also wouldn't activate in a fall when the rider isn't tossed off the bike.

It would be great if there was a way to protect cyclists from injury, but there's so much concern already about proper fabrics and skin suits and things that it would take a lot of work to come up with something pros would use.

you have summarized it - just the thought of having an extra layer of clothing when racing is already a no go... sorry but a vest can do nothing when you fall and break your wrist & fingers, crash on your knees, hit your elbow, or land on your face ala Jens Voigh a year ago...
maybe some people are interested in making cycling look like american football(mostly americans) but I think that idea does not suit cycling at all..

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Definently a must for the club rides I go on. Pro racing is rough, I think helmet rule is important but that is it. How a bout a complete encasement on the bike with airbags. hah

Are there not many examples of choices made in pro cycling that favor going faster+further over safety? From riding style to equipment choices I think the rider safety situation is always evolving but its unrealistic to consider airbag devices for pro cyclists.

Crashing is a bummer but I would imagine that a device that forces car drivers to give you the respect they give other motorists would save a lot more lives. Im thinking some kind of hologram? Training on the open road has to be many times more dangerous than racing on closed roads.

For instance I crashed in a race this summer and separated my shoulder... no big deal. Last week I felt the icy hand of death brush against me as a car tried to pass me at an intersection after I had the gall to stop at a red light.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
That won't do much to prevent a collar bone break either. I don't see the point in it. Do many cyclists actually die of internal injury, that this might prevent?

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I believe that road cyclists may have different types of crashes and injuries than equestrian.

I was always thinking there might be a way to prevent collarbone breaks and shoulder separations. Perhaps some kind of elbow pad that also prevents you from locking your elbow when you extend your arm in a crash.

The air vest could be simplified to perhaps a collar to protect the head/neck area and maybe the shoulders. Those seem to be the areas often injured in bike crashes.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Megalodon said:
I believe that road cyclists may have different types of crashes and injuries than equestrian.

I was always thinking there might be a way to prevent collarbone breaks and shoulder separations. Perhaps some kind of elbow pad that also prevents you from locking your elbow when you extend your arm in a crash.

The air vest could be simplified to perhaps a collar to protect the head/neck area and maybe the shoulders. Those seem to be the areas often injured in bike crashes.
Even so with a pad, your arm is gonna roll and put pressure on the collar bone. Humans weren't designed to use that protective reflex at cycling speeds.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I race my bike not caring about crashes. 99.9% pros i reckon confer. This crap needs to stop. I can't go on a club run without a helmet or signing a wavier. WTF???? It's alrite to send patriot missiles into urban areas in Iraq and Afganistan but hell forbib I don't wear a helmet on a local club ride :confused: and yes another.......... :confused::rolleyes:

I think the safety side of the sport needs a complete overhaul. Every year the races are getting faster and they're certainly not getting any safer. This year in the Giro and TdF in particular the accidents were overwhelming at times. With careers on the the line and sponsorship dollars supporting the sport anything that can be done to minimise the carnage should be welcomed. It is particularly galling when good riders are out of action for up to a year (or worse) often through no fault of their own. Maybe airbags are the answer, maybe they're not, but something should be done.

boardhanger said:
I race my bike not caring about crashes. 99.9% pros i reckon confer. This crap needs to stop. I can't go on a club run without a helmet or signing a wavier. WTF???? It's alrite to send patriot missiles into urban areas in Iraq and Afganistan but hell forbib I don't wear a helmet on a local club ride :confused: and yes another.......... :confused::rolleyes:

It's their mania with safety. Evidently all the lawyers and law suits have gotten it into their heads that they need further protection from all the potential life's hazards. Plus it helps the corporatocracy continue to update its product lines, for an ever increasing sea of consumer conformism. It began with mandatory seat belts and now they're willing to latch onto anything. Even this.

And they actually believe they are free! When they live in fear of dying all the time. Ride a vespa in 3 in Napoli without a helmet, or a tuk-tuk in Mombasa and you'll feel real freedom. Sometimes a little fatalism is a sane prevention from lapsing into the ridiculous. :cool:

TRENDING THREADS